[comp.dcom.telecom] Radio Shack Call Forwarding System

dveenema@nis.naitc.com (Dan Veeneman) (06/17/91)

Hello Pat,

I understand from reading TELECOM Digest that you are the (proud)
owner of a Radio Shack CFS200 Call Forwarding System.  I recently
purchased two of the units, but after reading through the
documentation have discovered that apparently the forwarded calls are
limited to either three or ten minutes, depending on a switch setting.
I was planning on using these units for data transfer calls that would
last for as long as an hour (thus denying the ability to press the '*'
key to extend the call time).

Have you run across anyone or any documentation that suggests how one
could extend the call forward connection time beyond ten minutes?

Dan Veeneman    dveenema@nis.natic.com

[Moderator's Note: It might be possible to change something in the
hardware to do this, but I do not know what. You should probably just
use regular telco-provided call forwarding. I use my unit to turn call
forwarding on and off remotely, by having the unit 'call forward'
calls on one line to the number 1172-new number on the main line. If I
forget to turn on call forwarding before I leave, I call the other
line from elsewhere and it forwards the first line for me.   PAT]

------------------------------

Date: 17 Jun 91 15:20:00 CDT
From: Paul Schlveck <acmnews@zeus.unomaha.edu>
Subject: Disarmingly Curteous and Friendly US West

Having just made a major career move and change of living
accommodations in the Omaha, Nebraska area, it became necessary for me
to disconnect and reconnect my phone service.  I called US West and
was on-line with a customer representative in about 20 seconds.
Disconnecting was no problem, according to the rep, and could occurr
on the day of my choice.  In addition, I could have my choice of
intercept message, either no info, or a new number of my choice.

Outstanding!  I gave them my mother's number back on the East Coast
(being in DC, she is used to wierd phone calls :-).  A call from a
payphone confirmed that my service was shut off and the appropriate
intercept message was inserted.  Pardon me if I am surprised, but back
at old Cut-Throat and Pirate Telephone (i.e. C&P) not only would I have
been left hanging on the phone for an eternity, but my phone service
may have been disconnected on the day of my choice, on another day, or
not at all.  And getting a proper intercept is like pulling teeth...

Having settled my personal affairs and settled on a place for my
computer to live (with me staying on as guest...<:-), I called US West
again.  A rep promptly answered the phone and took my information.
Not only could I have my old phone number back (I was in the same
exchange), there would be no charge.

In all the commotion and chaos of my move, I had neglected to pay my
last bill (about 20 bucks) and it was now over a week overdue (uh oh!
Looks like payment in person and a large security deposit to restore
service!)  I sheepishly admitted this to the rep who asked me when I
could make payment in full.  I told her within the week.  No problem,
she could just mark my file that the bill would be paid shortly.
(almost tempted to ask if I had a wrong number and if indeed this was
the "phone company" so often parodied by Lilly Tomlin).

Everything went smoothly from there on.  Opted for basic unlimited.  I
wanted the newfangled "Voice Messaging System" that would take my
calls when I was on the modem, but this won't reach my exchange till
next year.  Decided against the novelty of Caller ID.  My phone
service will be turned on this Wednesday, the 19th.  Cost?  About $21
a month.

One thing I opted for was a listing in directory assistance, but no
listing in the phone book.  Can privacy-gurus on the newsgroup advise
me as to whether this shields me from inclusion in so-called "reverse"
directories?  I haven't received any telemarketing calls in my year of
having my phone number, and the last US West reverse directory I
checked (1990) didn't list me.  Would like to know for sure, though.
Would like to avoid annoying calls from the {San Jose Mercury News} (if
and when they publish a Midwestern edition) but don't wish to shut out
friends and relatives who want to get my number.

Another disturbing question was whether or not I required "an
additional line for a computer modem ..."  I asked for clarification of
the question, but the rep couldn't give me any more info (reading a
script, etc.).  At first I thought they were trying to sell me another
line, but I wonder if it is a sneaky way to monitor modem/BBS traffic
for a possible Michigan Bell-style extortion racket.  I of course,
said "no." Any speculation?

All in all, a very easy and successful dealing with the "phone
company."  My apologies to those that must endure in their daily lives
the trials and tribulations inflicted on them by PacBell, C&P, New
Jersey Bell, etc.  Want to try out my number?  Call (402) 555-1212.

Paul Schleck   ACMNEWS@zeus.unomaha.edu