[comp.dcom.telecom] Fax/Phone Switch Information Wanted

Harri Valkama <hv@uwasa.fi> (06/06/91)

Who can recommend for me an automatic fax/phone switch that has a
reasonable price. Let's say under $100.  It should sniff the incoming
call and whether it is a phone call or a fax call direct it to my
telephone or fax modem.  Here in Finland they are overlypriced; the
local telephone company tried to sell me one that cost 1500FIM (about
$350) !!!

Also a fax number for the company that sells these is very welcome. I
guess this device should work the same whether it is used in US or
Europe or what.  Power supply is perhaps different but not a real
problem. I mean that it should work with phone and fax signals or are
there any differences concerning this kind of scheme.

Harri Valkama, University of Vaasa, Finland
 P.O. Box 700, 65101 VAASA, Finland (tel:+358 61 248426 fax:+358 61 248465)
 Anon ftp garbo.uwasa.fi (128.214.12.37) & nic.funet.fi (128.214.6.100)
 hv@uwasa.fi hv@finfiles.bitnet /s=hv/o=uwasa/prdm=inet/amdm=fumail/c=fi

Francesco Caserta <caserta@athena.mit.edu> (06/09/91)

In article <telecom11.430.3@eecs.nwu.edu>, hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama)
writes:

> Who can recommend for me an automatic fax/phone switch that has a
> reasonable price. Let's say under $100.  It should sniff the incoming
> call and whether it is a phone call or a fax call direct it to my
> telephone or fax modem.  Here in Finland they are overlypriced; the
> local telephone company tried to sell me one that cost 1500FIM (about
> $350) !!!

> Also a fax number for the company that sells these is very welcome. I
> guess this device should work the same whether it is used in US or
> Europe or what.  Power supply is perhaps different but not a real
> problem. I mean that it should work with phone and fax signals or are
> there any differences concerning this kind of scheme.

I'm also in the market for one of these devices, although, more
specifically, for a fax/modem/a.m./phone switch. Lately I've done some
`homework' and come up with the following products.

Before I start the list, I should premise a few considerations. I've
been told that even among G3 fax machines there is no guaranty that
they will issue a CNG tone when calling. I've heard that it's
mandatory in Europe, but not in North America. I don't know if this is
true and if, anyway, the exceptions are actually very few. The
behaviuor of modems seems even more unpredictable regarding the
issueing of a distintive tone. I hope that someone more knowledgeable
will clarify this for us on this matter, because otherwise it's better
to forget that these boxes do any good.

1) Hello-Direct sells two of these devices: the Crosspoint
Autoswitcher I and the Crosspoint Autoswitcher II. The former is a
fax/modem/a.m./phone switch, the latter is a fax/a.m./phone switch.
Some of the options include: customized access codes, ring delay,
phone and auxiliary ring count, ring deduction, open line
notification, automatic fax detection.

  Crosspoint Autoswitcher I $229     Crosspoint Autoswitcher II $129

  Hello-Direct, 140 Great Oaks Blvd., San Jose, CA 95119-1347
  1-800-444-3556, 1-408-972-1990, (fax) 1-408-972-8155

2) VSI sells SmartMaxII. Model 6000 is a fax/phone switching, while
model 6500 adds an auxiliary port for a computer modem or another
accessory.

 VSI sells also many other of these switches. You may want to contact
 them at 1-800-999-8232, 1-714-687-2492, (fax) 1-714-687-2513.

3) FAX MANIA is another source. They can be contacted at
1-800-33-FAX-55, (fax) 1-804-498-3263.

COMMENTS: I have the impression that Hello-Direct's C.A._I is actually
the same as the ASAP TF 555 made by Command Communications and sold
for much less (~$170) by Lechmere.

Francesco Caserta

Howard Siegel <siegel@stsci.edu> (06/10/91)

In <telecom11.437.1@eecs.nwu.edu>, caserta@athena.mit.edu writes:

> 1) Hello-Direct sells two of these devices: the Crosspoint
> Autoswitcher I and the Crosspoint Autoswitcher II...

>   Crosspoint Autoswitcher I $229

> COMMENTS: I have the impression that Hello-Direct's C.A._I is actually
> the same as the ASAP TF 555 made by Command Communications and sold
> for much less (~$170) by Lechmere.

In the most recent Hello Direct catalog, the Autoswitcher I was listed
at $199.  I have not verified that the price has come down or this is
a misprint.

The Autoswitcher's do look just like the ASAP models.  I just saw them
on display at my local Staples office supply wharehouse.  There are
two ASAP models with the same specs as those from Hello Direct.  I
didn't notice the prices though.

Also, Black Box Corp has the ASD-4 Automatic Sharing Device for four
devices listed at $199.

All of these devices must be made by the same company and OEM'ed to
these companies since all of them look identical, except for the
colors; the Hello Direct and ASAP models are white (or off white) and
the Black Box model is of course black.

I have been thinking of picking one of these up too, but for my office
where I only have one phone line and just put up my own Telebit T1600
modem (finally 9600 baud!).  How well to these devices work with a
campus voice mail system on the telephone instead of an answering
machine?

     Howard Siegel             siegel@stsci.edu             301-338-5415
     TRW     c/o Space Telescope Science Institute    Baltimore MD 21218

David Newman <dnewman@mcc.com> (06/11/91)

Ranier Technologies TB-150 Voice-Data Switch:

17950 NE 65th St.
Redmond, WA., 98052
(206) 881-5182

It ran about $100 as I recall, and it seems to work pretty well.  I've
had it about a year.

I'm just a satisfied customer, nothing more.

Lou Kates <louk@tslwat.uucp> (06/17/91)

In article <telecom11.437.1@eecs.nwu.edu> caserta@athena.mit.edu
(Francesco Caserta) writes:

> In article <telecom11.430.3@eecs.nwu.edu>, hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama)
> writes:

>> Who can recommend for me an automatic fax/phone switch that has a

> Before I start the list, I should premise a few considerations. I've
> been told that even among G3 fax machines there is no guaranty that
> they will issue a CNG tone when calling.

This has been mentioned in this newgroup before but in case you missed
it, you can get around this by getting a feature variously known as
Ident-A-Call, Distinctive Ringing, RingMaster, etc. It may be called
something else by your telco but it basically allows you to get
multiple phone numbers associated with the same line with each number
having a distinctive ringing pattern. Hello Direct and Lynx Automation
(2100 196th St SW #144, Lynnwood, WA 98036, 206-744-1582) will sell
you a device which listens to the ringing pattern and sends the call
to different devices according to the ringing pattern.  Since
everything takes place BEFORE the call is connected you avoid having
to depend on being able to recognize the CNG tone.

Lou Kates, Teleride Sage Ltd., louk%tslwat@watmath.waterloo.edu