[comp.dcom.telecom] CATV Company Rate Comparisons

Nick Sayer <mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us> (06/13/91)

We have a monopoly here in Stockton. Continental Cable charges $19.54
a month minimum, and has 34 clear channels, 4 pay channels and one
pay-per-view channel, but it's on two pieces of coax, which makes
cable-ready equipment capable of only 'seeing' half the channels at a
time. A converter to solve this problem costs $2/mo, a remote control
is another $1, the first pay channel is about $10, and additional pay
channels have decreasing costs.

Needless to say, I am not happy with this situation but, of course, I
live in a condo where no antennas are allowed, so there is no
alternative.

When (and if :-) ) I graduate from college, I'm gonna get a dish.  Now
if there was only a way to get phone service without having to get
service from an RBOC.

Speaking of dishes, has anyone heard from the Congressional inquiry
concerning predatory pricing practices of cable programming suppliers?
I was watching C-SPAN some time ago, and ran across such a hearing.
One of those testifying said the average cable company paid $2 per
subscriber per month for a package which satellite and wireless-cable
providers paid an average of $10 per subsciber per month.

Nick Sayer     mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us
N6QQQ          209-952-5347 (Telebit)

"Ralph W. Hyre" <rhyre@cinoss1.att.com> (06/17/91)

In article <telecom11.456.6@eecs.nwu.edu> mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us
(Nick Sayer) writes:

> pay-per-view channel, but it's on two pieces of coax, which makes
> cable-ready equipment capable of only 'seeing' half the channels at a
> time.

A converter to solve this problem costs $2/mo, a remote control.

> is another $1, the first pay channel is about $10, and additional pay
> channels have decreasing costs.

If your basic channels are unscrambled, then you can try what I did:
(worked on a TCI system in Pittsburgh, and Warner in Cincinnati.)

RUN, don't walk to a store where you can buy what's reffered to as a
block converter.  It shifts the cable channels up around 400Mhz, to
the UHF band, where you can combine with the VHF and cable band
channels into a single piece of coax.  Your cable-ready set (and VCR)
should be happy to accomodate it.  Total cost around $30 (I got mine a
Radio Shack).

				   +Coupler/combiner+----- single cable
B cable -block converter+----------+

You will need to find the B cable channels on your TV/VCR.  There is
also potential conflict, since the box SUBTRACTS 400Mhz from the B
cable channels, causing potential conflicts with the 'A' cable
channels. In general if you put the least-loaded cable through the
converter box, you will be OK.