[comp.dcom.telecom] Looking for Inexpensive Outside Wire

gaarder@anarres.ithaca.ny.us (05/27/91)

A friend and I are planning to run some cable from my house to his, a
distance of about 1000 feet, and are looking for advice on where to
find suitable wire at minimum cost.  The plan is to go underground
right near the houses, and overhead through the trees in the
intervening woods.  We need at least two pairs carrying RS-422 data,
and an extra pair or two for some sort of voice link would be very
nice.  I have scrounged some underground phone cable and some drop
wire, but not enough yet.  One possible source of cheap wire is
military surplus WD-1 field telephone wire.  I've been told that it is
steel wire, or possibly a combination of copper and steel.  Does
anyone know which, and what kind of resistance per unit length the
stuff has?  Also, any gotchas about using wire intended for
underground use overhead?  Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Steve Gaarder   gaarder@theory.tc.cornell.edu  gaarder@anarres.ithaca.ny.us

[Moderator's Note: For only a thousand feet, why not go underground
for the whole trip? It will be less conspicuous to vandals and others,
and avoid the problem of trees getting cut down and winter ice storms
pulling the wire down, etc.   PAT]

gaarder@anarres.ithaca.ny.us (06/01/91)

The following piece, which showed up in soc.culture.new-zealand,
suggests one possible approach to my quest for a cheap way to run wire
to a friend's house:

> From: anorris@theory.TC.Cornell.EDU (Andrew Norris)

> With respect to the tails about uses of no8, there was an real good
> chapter in a Crump Book in which a character named 'Scratcher' had the
> job of maintaining a 8 mile length of telephone line through the bush.
> The PO provided him with copper wire, which he used to sew his boots and
> cloths up with. The line was repaired with any junk he could lay his
> hands on, including sardine cans and dog chain. But he knew what he was
> doing as he confided in the central character, Bruce (?);

> 'It can't be any old thing though, it has to be metal'

BTW, I'm also looking for entrance blocks (lightning protectors) or
sources for same.

[ Pat, concerning your suggestion of going underground: A reasonable
thing to suggest, since you live in the Midwest where the soil is soft
and sandy.  Here it's heavy clay, and, since it's through the woods,
full of roots as well.]

Steve Gaarder
gaarder@theory.tc.cornell.edu          gaarder@anarres.ithaca.ny.us

[Moderator's Note: When I look at old photographs of Chicago, say from
the 1900-1920 era, all I see in the sky are telephone poles and wires
running everywhere. The wires criss-cross in all directions running up
and down the streets, etc. And now, telephone poles, while not rare,
are far less common here. In the downtown area you don't see one for
blocks at a time. In the residential areas, we have poles in the alley
behind the houses in many areas, but very few on the main streets.
They have buried almost everything.

Of course, there are offsets to this: For the past two weeks, Bell
Avenue (the north/south street at the corner from where I live) has
been torn up for several blocks, all the way from Roseland Cemetery
north to Warren Park. Everyone is in on the act: I see trucks from
People's Gas, IBT, and the Water and Sewer Works all out there every
day, digging, laying new conduits, sewers, etc. They wake me at 6 AM
when they start tearing up the street.  PAT]

"Patton M. Turner" <pturner@eng.auburn.edu> (06/02/91)

Steve Gaarder writes:

> [ Pat, concerning your suggestion of going underground: A reasonable
> thing to suggest, since you live in the Midwest where the soil is soft
> and sandy.  Here it's heavy clay, and, since it's through the woods,
> full of roots as well.]

Try renting a small drop plow or trencher (ditch witch).  I think I'd
prefer the trencher over a vibratory plow if you think you will run
into roots.

> BTW, I'm also looking for entrance blocks (lightning protectors) or
> sources for same.

Absolutely, if I remember you are going to use the lines for data com
(not RS-232 I hope, at that distance).  Many serial ports use CMOS
chips which are extremely sensitive to static electricity.  Last month
lightning damaged several serial ports on the engineering Sun network
here at Auburn, even though the cable runs were fairly short (but
unshelded).  I think Specialized Products Corp. carries gas discharge
protectors built into a DB25 connector.

As far as wire, I think C-wire (drop wire) is hard to beat if you are
going to use unshelded cable. It can be run overhead or plowed in the
ground.

Bill Nickless <nickless@flash.ras.anl.gov> (06/03/91)

When you find the right wire and tools and get ready to do the job,
don't forget to contact the appropriate utilities so they can tell you
where the 25 kilovolt electric main is buried on your property, or the
128-fiber AT&T AT&T Long Lines trunk.

Bill Nickless     nickless@andrews.edu or nickless@flash.ras.anl.gov
                  (708) 972-7390 or (616) 927-0982

Jim.Redelfs@uunet.uu.net> (06/04/91)

Patton M. Turner wrote:

> C-wire (drop wire) is hard to beat if you are going to use unshelded
> cable. It can be run overhead or plowed in the ground.

C Rural Wire is TOUGH stuff, but buried?  I've never seen it buried in
my experience or heard of doing so before.

I recommend against direct burial of C Rural Wire.  It is designed as
an AERIAL wire (1-pr/1-line wire) and not really even as a "drop"
wire.  C Rural Wire is used for exceptionally LONG aerial spans whose
length would cause ordinary F Service Wire (aerial drop wire) to fail
at the P-clamps or break in the span.

A typical C Rural Wire installation includes terminating the C Rural
Wire at the pole closest to the station where it is connected with a
105 block to conventional F Service Wire for the final span to the
station.

Considering the scenerio:  phone service wire placed through "woods" in an
area of clay/compacted soil.

Ordinarily, a vibratory lawn plow would do a satisfactory installation
but, considering the likely encounters with numerous, substantial tree
roots, a trencher would work MUCH better.

If the service MUST be hung, I would probably forgo the luxury and
expense of poles and simply hang the spans, with PLENTY of slack, from
the existing trees.

AT&T's Phoenix Works manufactures an EXCELLENT, 5-pair, jelly-filled
buried service "wire".

JR
 --- Tabby 2.2
 MacNet Omaha 402-289-2899 On loan from Mrs MacWidow (1:285/14)

macy@fmsys.uucp (Macy Hallock) (06/09/91)

In article <telecom11.424.8@eecs.nwu.edu> is written:

> Patton M. Turner wrote:

>> C-wire (drop wire) is hard to beat if you are going to use unshelded
>> cable. It can be run overhead or plowed in the ground.

> C Rural Wire is TOUGH stuff, but buried?  I've never seen it buried in
> my experience or heard of doing so before.

Listen, I've seen C-wire aerial, buried, submerged, strung on
fenceposts and hung to trees and it always worked.  Even used it (well
a couple of strands of it) to pull a tractor out of the mud once.

At one point, a large part of most distant rural cable plant of a
certain telephone company I worked for was made of the stuff.  (Hint:
one of John Higdon's favorite phone companies, and it ain't PB) In
fact, much of the stuff was ten + years old.  Saw some of it taken down
off poles and buried.  Worked for a couple more years, too.

> I recommend against direct burial of C Rural Wire.  It is designed as
> an AERIAL wire (1-pr/1-line wire) and not really even as a "drop"
> wire.  C Rural Wire is used for exceptionally LONG aerial spans whose
> length would cause ordinary F Service Wire (aerial drop wire) to fail
> at the P-clamps or break in the span.

Quite true, but its very well made stuff, or at least it was back in
1970.

> A typical C Rural Wire installation includes terminating the C Rural
> Wire at the pole closest to the station where it is connected with a
> 105 block to conventional F Service Wire for the final span to the
> station.

Also correct.  Except for the stuff we lay across the fields and
construction areas.  Do you have any idea what C-wire can do to a
tractor running a brush hog?  Hint: the tractor loses...

> If the service MUST be hung, I would probably forgo the luxury and
> expense of poles and simply hang the spans, with PLENTY of slack, from
> the existing trees.

Now, that what C-wire's for!  It also held the Chatham Farmer's Mutual
Telephone Company together for many, many years, just this way...

Most of the stuff I used and saw way back then was General Cable or
Brand-Rex.

> AT&T's Phoenix Works manufactures an EXCELLENT, 5-pair, jelly-filled
> buried service "wire".

This is true, but I like Brand-Rex's six pair or two pair buried drop,
too.

Of course, you could just get your ham ticket and a couple of two
meter handie-talkie's (Shameless plug: the technician ticket is now
available in a no-morse-code version ... and while I'm on that subject:
what's your excuse for no ticket, Patrick? [grin] We need all the
decent hams we can get.)

Macy M. Hallock, Jr. N8OBG  216-725-4764 Home
macy@fmsystm.UUCP macy@NCoast.ORG
Note: macy@ncoast.org is best reply path to me.   uunet!aablue!fmsystm!macy
[No disclaimer, but I have no real idea what I'm saying or why I'm telling you]

[Moderator's Note: The technician's ticket now available *without* the
Morse Code test??  Shame ... shame on all!  Anyway, some people say I
am already a ham ... PAT]

Wolf PAUL <wnp@iiasa.iiasa.ac.at> (06/11/91)

> [Moderator's Note:

> They have buried almost everything.

> Of course, there are offsets to this: For the past two weeks, Bell
> Avenue (the north/south street at the corner from where I live) has
> been torn up for several blocks, all the way from Roseland Cemetery
> north to Warren Park. Everyone is in on the act: I see trucks from
> People's Gas, IBT, and the Water and Sewer Works all out there every
> day, digging, laying new conduits, sewers, etc. They wake me at 6 AM
> when they start tearing up the street.  PAT]

And you are really fortunate in that they are all in on the act all at
once.

About four years ago the footpath in front of my parent's house was
dug up when they put in city water in an area which so far had
individual pumps.

About three years ago the path was dug up to put down Cable-TV cable.

About two years ago the footpath was dug up to put down a phone cable
(it had been strung on poles till then).

About one year ago the path was dug up again when they put gas pipes
in.

About two weeks ago the path was dug up again when they put in a power
line to a new subdivision down the road.

Within the next year or so they will dig it up again to put down sewer
pipes -- till now, everyone has their own septic tank.

And in Vienna, Austria, these various utilities (except Cable-TV) are
not private businesses, but departments of the federal gov't or city
hall.  But they cannot coordinate their schedules ...

W.N.Paul, Int. Institute f. Applied Systems Analysis, A-2361 Laxenburg--Austria
PHONE: +43-2236-71521-465            INTERNET: wnp@iiasa.iiasa.ac.at
FAX:   +43-2236-71313                UUCP:     uunet!iiasa!wnp
HOME:  +43-2236-618514               BITNET:   tuvie!iiasa!wnp@aearn.BITNET

wex@uunet.uu.net> (06/12/91)

Additional comment about burying wire (any kind):

Go to your local dump (landfill), if you have one, and collect all the
old discarded garden hose (leaky is ok), and run any underground
wiring through that.

[national electrical code insists on physical protection near ground
level, but allows direct burial... (I know you were talking about
Phone, but the garden hose idea applies to any...]

Anyhow, the hose provides very good protection from shovels provides a
conduit for pulling/replacing wire ( if you put in an extra pull wire,
you can later pull something else through. (use separate hoses for AC)
Hose is easier to pull up later if necessary.  It is cheap, and gets
some real use out of trash!!

Wex

meier@uunet.uu.net> (06/13/91)

In article <telecom11.450.7@eecs.nwu.edu> mailrus!ulowell!wex@uunet.
uu.net writes:

[recommendation for using garden hose as conduit]

> Anyhow, the hose provides very good protection from shovels provides a
> conduit for pulling/replacing wire ( if you put in an extra pull wire,
> you can later pull something else through. (use separate hoses for AC)
> Hose is easier to pull up later if necessary.  It is cheap, and gets
> some real use out of trash!!

I tried this, in an attempt to save some money on the special (thicker
sheath) direct burial cable.

It turned out that I was unable to pull the wire more than about 25
feet before it started to bind against the hose.  Since I had already
bought the hose, I ended up splitting the hose the full length,
inserting the wire, and then taping the hose together again.

It was really false economy.  Next time, I would get the true
direct-burial cable.

Rolf Meier					Mitel Corporation

Tony Harminc <TONY@mcgill1.bitnet> (06/15/91)

Rolf Meier <mitel!Software!meier@uunet.uu.net> wrote:

[recommendation for using garden hose as conduit]

> It turned out that I was unable to pull the wire more than about 25
> feet before it started to bind against the hose.  Since I had already
> bought the hose, I ended up splitting the hose the full length,
> inserting the wire, and then taping the hose together again.

> It was really false economy.  Next time, I would get the true
> direct-burial cable.

What you need is wire pulling compound.  It's usually gloopy yellow
stuff that comes in a giant squeeze bottle or a can.  You can, of
course, use almost anything slippery, but grease etc. may damage the
insulation over time.

Tony H.

Mike Morris <morris@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us> (06/16/91)

TONY@mcgill1.bitnet (Tony Harminc) writes:

> Rolf Meier <mitel!Software!meier@uunet.uu.net> wrote:

> [recommendation for using garden hose as conduit]

>> [story about the problems with garden hose and decision to use
>> real direct burial cable next time]

> What you need is wire pulling compound.  It's usually gloopy yellow
> stuff that comes in a giant squeeze bottle or a can.  You can, of
> course, use almost anything slippery, but grease etc. may damage the
> insulation over time.

You're speaking of Scotch "Yellow-77", sometimes referred to with
other names (one of the more polite ones is "Gorilla Snot").

But please note that "almost anything slippery" may cause some serious
problems.  I had a very difficult time at one site where someone had
used liquid dish soap as a pulling compound.  We ended up having to
pull the old 75-pair out with a winch on a four-wheel drive vehicle.

If you need to use a pulling compound, use a real pulling compound.
And by all means use a conduit large enough for the job and pull a
piece of 1/8" nylon with the cable.  At one job the previous
contractor had pulled cotton kite string with the cable.  When we went
to pull a pull rope in place with the kite string we discovered it had
rotted.  Fortunately there was enough room in the conduit that we were
able to suck a cotton ball through with a new kite string and pull the
nylon rope with it (and then the new cable with a new rope).

Mike Morris   WA6ILQ   PO Box 1130    Arcadia, CA. 91077
                       | All opinions must be my own since nobody pays
818-447-7052 evenings  | me enough to be their mouthpiece...

"Barton F. Bruce" <Barton.Bruce@camb.com> (06/18/91)

In article <telecom11.452.6@eecs.nwu.edu>, mitel!Software!meier@
uunet.uu.net (Rolf Meier) writes:

> In article <telecom11.450.7@eecs.nwu.edu> mailrus!ulowell!wex@uunet.
> uu.net writes:

> [recommendation for using garden hose as conduit]

>> Anyhow, the hose provides very good protection from shovels provides a
>> conduit for pulling/replacing wire ( if you put in an extra pull wire,

> It turned out that I was unable to pull the wire more than about 25
> feet before it started to bind against the hose.  Since I had already

Real rubbery hose would probably be the worst. The cheap vinyl hoses
would be better, if large enough. The quite inexpensive polyethylene
pipe often used for buried lawn sprinklers works well and comes in
very long coils  --  400' or even 1000' are easy to find.

The real key to easy pulling is LOTS of good commercial wire pulling
compound liberally slathered on the cable.

Irving_Wolfe@happym.wa.com (06/18/91)

I missed the original article in this thread, but I have some 700 feet
of direct burial 25-pair, left over from a temporary job the local
phone company did here for me until they could do the real job with
50-pair.  (I had to pay for, and got stuck with, the 25-pair.)  I
honestly don't remember the exact price, but I think I paid 48 cents a
foot, which checks with local supply houses suggested is a good price
to begin with.

If someone would take the whole thing and pick it up here, I'd sell it
for just 30 cents a foot, assuming all this happens soon.  Please get
in touch with me if you're interested.  I'm not interested in shipping
it or selling little pieces, but I'd have a guy drive it to Seattle or
Tacoma for you if you don't have a truck and want the whole thing and
will pay the full 48 cents.  Then I'll take the loss on the truck and
driver instead of on the cable.

wex@uunet.uu.net> (06/19/91)

About old garden hose as conduit, trouble pulling wire through; I have
used silicone spray and/or "pulling compound" (your local electrical
supply house/electrician) when the going got rough; buy I have never
had trouble with short lengths (100').

The gpstwr!merv@eecs.nwu.edu (Merv Graham) suggestion of plastic water
pipe sounds fine;  I was suggesting a way to reuse junque.

Wex