[comp.dcom.telecom] Len Rose Sent to Prison

bill@baldric.eedsp.gatech.edu (06/12/91)

I found the following on the Associated Press financial wire.  ALL
INACCURACIES ARE AP's.
                        --------

APf  06/11 1536  Hacker Sentenced

   BALTIMORE (AP) -- A computer hacker has been sentenced to a year
and a day in prison for stealing information from American Telephone &
Telegraph and its subsidiary Bell Laboratories.

   Leonard Rose Jr., 32, an unemployed computer consultant, pleaded
guilty in March to one count of sending AT&T source codes via computer
to a hacker in Illinois, and a similar wire fraud charge involving a
Chicago hacker.

   Rose was once a member of a nationwide hackers' group called the
Legion of Doom.

   He originally was indicted on charges of computer fraud and
interstate transportation of stolen property, but those charges were
dropped under a plea agreement.

   U.S. District Judge J. Frederick Motz on Monday ordered Rose to
sell his computer equipment, which was seized last year in a raid on
his home in Middletown, and to tell potential employers of his
conviction. He is to begin serving his sentence July 10.

   The judge did not order restitution to AT&T because Rose has what
one of his attornies called "a negative net worth."

Bill Berbenich, School of EE, DSP Lab   |  Telephone:   +1-404-894-3134
Georgia Tech, Atlanta Georgia, 30332    |
uucp: ...!{backbones}!gatech!eedsp!bill |  Group 3 fax: +1-404-894-8363
Internet: bill@eedsp.gatech.edu         |           or: +1-404-853-9171

[Moderator's Note: Len Rose's involvement in activities which brought
him to the attention of federal authorities was first reported on
Usenet here in TELECOM Digest over a year ago. Mr. Rose was active for
several years in Usenet and the internet. His site, 'netsys' was known
to many users.  PAT]

bart simpson <lsg001@cck.coventry.ac.uk> (06/14/91)

Now that the Computer Misuse Act (1990) is in operation it might
stop some of the abuses which have happened in the UK recently.

Graham Wilson | lsg001

Scott Dorsey <kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.gov> (06/14/91)

In article <telecom11.448.1@eecs.nwu.edu> bill@eedsp.gatech.edu writes:

>   BALTIMORE (AP) -- A computer hacker has been sentenced to a year
> and a day in prison for stealing information from American Telephone &
> Telegraph and its subsidiary Bell Laboratories.

>   Leonard Rose Jr., 32, an unemployed computer consultant, pleaded
> guilty in March to one count of sending AT&T source codes via computer
> to a hacker in Illinois, and a similar wire fraud charge involving a
> Chicago hacker.

   He did indeed send a copy of the System V login source code to
someone who may have used it in the commission of a crime.

>   Rose was once a member of a nationwide hackers' group called the
> Legion of Doom.

  No, he was not.  Sorry.

>   He originally was indicted on charges of computer fraud and
> interstate transportation of stolen property, but those charges were
> dropped under a plea agreement.

>   U.S. District Judge J. Frederick Motz on Monday ordered Rose to
> sell his computer equipment, which was seized last year in a raid on
> his home in Middletown, and to tell potential employers of his
> conviction. He is to begin serving his sentence July 10.

>   The judge did not order restitution to AT&T because Rose has what
> one of his attornies called "a negative net worth."

    This is indeed true.  He did not have such a condition until
spending huge amounts of money for defense.

scott

[Moderator's Note: I did not bother to correct various inaccuracies in
the wire story because the submitter pointed out the text was verbatim,
and I assumed *we* all knew about the Legion of Doom thing.  Regarding
payment to his attornies, my understanding is much of the expense was
met by friends, although without employment Len had the 'negative net
worth' anyway.   I hope his wife and kids have been able to get on
public assistance (welfare) for the interim.  PAT]

Craig Neidorf <C483307@umcvmb.bitnet> (06/15/91)

In TELECOM Digest, Volume 11 : Issue 453, Scott Dorsey writes:

> In article <telecom11.448.1@eecs.nwu.edu> bill@eedsp.gatech.edu
> writes:

>>   BALTIMORE (AP) -- A computer hacker has been sentenced to a year
>> and a day in prison for stealing information from American Telephone &
>> Telegraph and its subsidiary Bell Laboratories.

>>   Leonard Rose Jr., 32, an unemployed computer consultant, pleaded
>> guilty in March to one count of sending AT&T source codes via computer
>> to a hacker in Illinois, and a similar wire fraud charge involving a
>> Chicago hacker.

>   He did indeed send a copy of the System V login source code to
> someone who may have used it in the commission of a crime.

Who is this person that you believe he sent the System V login source
code to that may have used it in the commission of a crime?

>>   The judge did not order restitution to AT&T because Rose has what
>> one of his attornies called "a negative net worth."

>    This is indeed true.  He did not have such a condition until
> spending huge amounts of money for defense.

Speaking as someone who knows what really happened to Len and how the
system really treats a criminal defendant, I will inform you of a
couple of things.

Len Rose did not spend huge amounts on his defense.  When Rose was
first raided by the Secret Service in March 1990, the agents seized
all of his computers and everything related (and a lot of things
unrelated).  They effectively deprived him of his livelihood as a
private Unix consultant.  They had their reasons and I'm not going to
argue about those.  However, Len had little money to begin with and
was already deep into debt before these incidents happened.  He lost
his house and his truck.

Len Rose had a court appointed attorney for a while and there are some
things you should know about how that works.  You can only get court
appointed counsel if you cannot afford an attorney and you must prove
this to the court by bringing in all of your financial files.

Later attornies like Sheldon Zenner and Jane Macht were paid for by
friends of Len Rose and there was a donation fund for his family's
living expenses to which many people contributed.

Craig Neidorf (C483307 @ UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU)

[Moderator's Note: Mr. Neidorf was a defendant in one of the criminal
prosecutions associated with the Legion of Doom. He is (was?) the
publisher and editor of {Phrack}, an electronic journal whose name is
a contraction of the two words 'phreak' and 'hack'.  He was found not
guilty of the charges lodged against him, and the government dropped
its prosecution of him when it was discovered that the information he
published (relating to the complaint) was available to the public from
other sources.  PAT]

"John R. Schutz" <john@csrnxt1.ae.utexas.edu> (06/16/91)

TELECOM Moderator Noted, in a post by Craig Neidorf:

> [Moderator's Note: Mr. Neidorf was a defendant in one of the criminal
> prosecutions associated with the Legion of Doom. He is (was?) the
> publisher and editor of {Phrack}, an electronic journal whose name is
> a contraction of the two words 'phreak' and 'hack'.

Was.  He has stated that he will not go back to editing {Phrack}.

John R. Schutz           Email&NeXTmail:
A learning NeXTie        john@csrnxt1.ae.utexas.edu
(512)328-0587            3009 Hatley Dr., Austin, TX  78746

Bill Martens <billm@tokyo07.info.com> (06/19/91)

Well, it has been my observation during my young years in the computer
world that the problems originated not from the occaisional hacker but
instead from the people like our moderator( PAT) who take a simple
thing and blow it totally out of proportion (like the Len Rose case).

I am really shocked by the way in which people like this will take
every opportunity to slam (put down) some one who has done no worse of
crime than anyone else (can you honestly say, Pat, that you've never
done anything wrong?) has done.

You know the Bible says "let he who is without sin cast the first
stone".  well, I guess that just about eliminates all of us .. doesn't
it,  PAT!