[comp.dcom.telecom] Billing Question

Leroy.Donnelly@uunet.uu.net> (06/12/91)

Could someone give me insight on how the phone companies bill for long
distance.  Is it based on a grid map or LAT/LONG points.

 Ybbat (DRBBS) 8.9 v. 3.13 r.5
 [200:5010/666@metronet] NOT EVERYONE USES AN IBM PC :-(  (200:5010/666.0)

Jim.Redelfs@uunet.uu.net> (06/13/91)

Leroy Donnelly wrote:

> Could someone give me the insite on how the phone companies bill for
> long distance. Is it based on a grid map or LAT/LONG points.

Across the country, I'm sure there are numerous, different methods for
BILLING for long distance useage, but can I assume you are interested
in how the phone companies HANDLE long distance?

LATAs (Local Access and Transport Areas) were created to define how
long distance would be handled following Divestiture.

Within the Nebraska Area Code 402, there are TWO LATAs -- one served by
US WEST Communications (formerly Northwestern Bell Telephone Company)
and the other by Lincoln Telephone and Telegraph.

For example: A toll call from Omaha to Norfolk, NE (both US WEST
Communications cities) is transported over the facilities of, and
billed by, US WEST Communications.

A toll call from Omaha to Nebraska City, NE (the latter served by
LT&T) is billed by your default (1+ Choice) carrier.  In my case, such
a call appears on my AT&T bill.

A toll call from Omaha to Grand Island, NE (both served by US WEST
Communications -- *BUT* different Area Codes) is also billed by your 1+
carrier.

I'm not sure about other areas, but within Nebraska, the MAJOR toll
carriers have not (yet) ventured into the INTRA-Lata business.

JR
 -- Tabby 2.2
 MacNetOmaha(402)289-2899 Multitasking w/MacOrphans (1:285/14)

Dave.Leibold@f135.n82.z89.onebdos.UUCP (Dave Leibold) (06/20/91)

Leroy Donnelly <ivgate!Leroy.Donnelly@uunet.uu.net> writes:

> Could someone give me insight on how the phone companies bill for long
> distance.  Is it based on a grid map or LAT/LONG points.

Each exchange or "rate center" is given what's known as a V&H
co-ordinate representing Latitude and Longitude. For instance, Toronto
Ontario has a V of 4981 and an H of 2488. For a rate distance between
two points, the difference in V's of the points and the difference in
H's of the points are squared and added, much like the Pythagoreas
Theorem used to calculate the hypotenuse of a triangle. If rate
distance is R, then R^2 = V^2 + H^2, although the R value won't
exactly come out in miles or kilometres. A bit of extra calculation is
done, but the principle is there.

Those in Bell Canada territory can try to find CRTC tariff 6716 for a
detailed look at the calculation, or other telco long distance tariffs
might explain this. There's also supposed to be an AT&T Tariff FCC #10
which i've never seen, but is referred to in Bell Canada's tariff.

I also caught the V&H co-ordinates in a book entitled DDRG (Direct
Dialing Rate Guide?) complete with stuff like Mexico's 52X and 8XX
pseudo-NPA's listed. That document might merely be a hardcopy version
of the Bellcore V&H tape spoken of frequently in the Digest.

There were even things called "coin check" digits which refer to the
digit of the local number just after the prefix. For instance, a coin
check digit of "9" for a prefix 234 would mean that operators have to
be careful about placing collect calls to numbers of the form
234-9xxx. This is not too convenient for very small exchanges like
519-526; that prefix barely contains 300 phones, thus the coin check
of 526-7xxx would mean all collect calls to 526 get the third degree
(unless specific payphone series or numbers are now made available to
operators electronically).

dleibold@attmail.com
Dave Leibold - via IMEx node 89:681/1
Dave.Leibold@f135.n82.z89.onebdos.UUCP