[comp.dcom.telecom] How to Connect

Richard Stanton <rstanton@leland.stanford.edu> (06/07/91)

I've just moved to Larkspur in Marin, and will be spending a lot of
time connected to a computer in Berkeley. To do this directly costs
21c/10c per minute on Pacific Bell. I can cut this by about 60% using
one of their calling plans, but it will still be a lot of money if I
stay connected for a few hours every day.

Can anyone think of an alternative way of making this connection (the
machine at Berkeley has telnet / FTP access, so a local Internet site
would be perfect).

Thanks a lot.

Richard Stanton     pstanton@gsb-lira.stanford.edu

stv@uunet.uu.net> (06/20/91)

In article <telecom11.439.6@eecs.nwu.edu> rstanton@leland.stanford.edu
(Richard Stanton) writes:

> I've just moved to Larkspur in Marin, and will be spending a lot of
> time connected to a computer in Berkeley. To do this directly costs
> 21c/10c per minute on Pacific Bell. I can cut this by about 60% using
> one of their calling plans, but it will still be a lot of money if I
> stay connected for a few hours every day.

I had the "Call Bonus" to Berkeley plan when I worked there (I live in
San Rafael), but didn't call for several hours a day.  I think you
could set up an RCF link, with the distances involved.  Call the
PacBell business office for new BUSINESS service, and get a "Remote
Call Forwarding" service set up in Richmond, pointing at your Berkeley
number.  Then, it's a local call for you from Larkspur to Richmond,
and a local forward from Richmond to Berkeley.  Total cost: about $18
a month, plus one cent per minute for the call from Larkspur to
Richmond.

Steve Vance     {hplabs,lll-winken,pacbell}!well!stv    stv@well.sf.ca.us