[comp.dcom.telecom] Comsec Data Security

Sam Parker <samp@nuchat.sccsi.com> (06/18/91)

I would like to know, what are ya'lls opinions on Comsec Data Security?

Judge Dredd       Editor - NIA Magazine
samp@nuchat.sccsi.com    ..!uunet!nuchat!samp

"B.J. 19-Jun-1991 1142" <herbison@ultra.enet.dec.com> (06/19/91)

> I would like to know, what are ya'lls opinions on Comsec Data Security?

In my opinion, the phrase `Communication Security Data Security'
sounds like gibberish.  If you meant `Data Comsec', then I'm in favor
of it.  I would like to have the option to encrypt everything (data or
voice) I send over telephone connections (both the old-fashioned kind
and cellular).

I've also spent eight years working for a group that develops network
security products.

B.J.

"David M. Querin" <dmq6899@tamuts.tamu.edu> (06/20/91)

A clarification is in order directed at the man from DEC.  The
individual who was asking about opinions on ComSec Data Security was
referring to the new corporation started by various retired members of
the "famed" cracking group, The Legion of Doom.

David Querin     dmq6899@tamuts.tamu.edu

The opinions expressed do not reflect upon anyone I work with/for et al.

dania@violet.berkeley.edu (Dania Bourkoff) (06/21/91)

In article <telecom11.471.3@eecs.nwu.edu> herbison@ultra.enet.dec.com
writes:

> In my opinion, the phrase `Communication Security Data Security'
> sounds like gibberish.  If you meant `Data Comsec', then I'm in favor
> of it.  I would like to have the option to encrypt everything (data or
> voice) I send over telephone connections (both the old-fashioned kind
> and cellular).

	I believe the original post was referring to a specific
company, recently formed by three former members of the Legion of
Doom.  I'd be interested in hearing more specifics of what they offer.

carroll@cs.washington.edu> (06/21/91)

(B.J.  19-Jun-1991 1142) writes:

>> I would like to know, what are ya'lls opinions on Comsec Data Security?

> In my opinion, the phrase `Communication Security Data Security'
> sounds like gibberish.  If you meant `Data Comsec', then I'm in favor
> of it.  I would like to have the option to encrypt everything (data or
> voice) I send over telephone connections (both the old-fashioned kind
> and cellular).

I could see this coming.

COMSEC is a military term, the meaning of which I won't go into here.
Those with a need to know are adequately familiar with its meaning.

"Comsec Data Security" is apparently the name of a consulting
enterprise recently launched by ex-LoD-types. A spectacularly
inappropriate name, if you ask me.

Neither, strictly speaking, has anything to do with encryption of
commercial data, using DES or otherwise.

Jeff Carroll		carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com