[comp.dcom.telecom] Does a National Phonebook Exist?

Wally Kramer <wallyk@bicycle.wv.tek.com> (06/12/91)

Is there a ``phonebook'' which covers everywhere in the U.S.?
Electronic, CD-ROM, 900-FIND-THEM :-) or whatever (even paper).

I'd like to track down some college buddies, but I don't have clue as
to what city some of them are in.

Wally Kramer	contracted from Step Technology, Portland, Oregon 503 244 1239
wallyk@orca.wv.tek.com        +1 503 685 2658

[Moderator's Note: No, there is no single phone directory covering the
entire USA in any media.  But any large metropolitan library will have
a huge collection of out of town phone books you can review.   PAT]

froula@uunet.uu.net> (06/16/91)

wallyk@bicycle.wv.tek.com (Wally Kramer) writes:

> Is there a ``phonebook'' which covers everywhere in the U.S.?
> Electronic, CD-ROM, 900-FIND-THEM :-) or whatever (even paper).

> I'd like to track down some college buddies, but I don't have clue as
> to what city some of them are in.

> [Moderator's Note: No, there is no single phone directory covering the
> entire USA in any media.  But any large metropolitan library will have
> a huge collection of out of town phone books you can review.   PAT]

The Phone File database on Compuserve is a national database that is
supposed to include information from all US phone directories.  It is
also supplemented from other public domain sources.  It can be
searched for a name on a state by state (but not national) basis.
I've used it to successfully track down people and for geneology
research on several occasions.

Sean Williams <0004715238@mcimail.com> (06/17/91)

On 12 Jun 91 13:28:53 PDT, Wally Kramer <wallyk@bicycle.wv.tek.com> writes:

> Is there a ``phonebook'' which covers everywhere in the U.S.?
> Electronic, CD-ROM, 900-FIND-THEM :-) or whatever (even paper).

CompuServe has a service called "Phone*File" which might be able to do
the job.  It can search by geographic area, name, or phone number (I'm
pretty sure.)  The service carries a surcharge, but it's easier than
lugging a stack of phone books!

Sean E. Williams			seanwilliams@mcimail.com
Spectrum Telecommunications		"I own Spectrum, so I'm really
333 Prospect Avenue / PO Box 227	just speaking for myself"
Duncannon, PA 17020-0227  USA		voicemail: +1 717 957 8127

Bob Sherman <bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> (06/17/91)

In <telecom11.456.7@eecs.nwu.edu> Wally Kramer <wallyk@bicycle.wv.
tek.com> writes:

> Is there a ``phonebook'' which covers everywhere in the U.S.?
> Electronic, CD-ROM, 900-FIND-THEM :-) or whatever (even paper).

> I'd like to track down some college buddies, but I don't have clue as
> to what city some of them are in.

There is a national phonebook of sorts available on Compuserve. You
can get it by "go phonefile".  It is a subset of the metromail
service, and is quite watered down from the original product, but
should serve the purpose you mention providing your buddies have
listed numbers.

bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu |  MCI MAIL:BSHERMAN

Leonard P Levine <levine@csd4.csd.uwm.edu> (06/21/91)

 wallyk@bicycle.wv.tek.com (Wally Kramer) writes:

>  Is there a ``phonebook'' which covers everywhere in the U.S.?
>  Electronic, CD-ROM, 900-FIND-THEM :-) or whatever (even paper).

>  I'd like to track down some college buddies, but I don't have clue as
>  to what city some of them are in.

>  [Moderator's Note: No, there is no single phone directory covering the
>  entire USA in any media.  But any large metropolitan library will have
>  a huge collection of out of town phone books you can review.   PAT]

There is a product called PhoneDisc USA available on a subscription
basis.  It resides on 2 CS ROMs and I have no idea of the cost.  I am
not associated with the product. I have merely seen the ad.

Phone:   1-800-284-8353

Mail:    8 Doaks Lane
         Little Harbor
         Marblehead, Mass 01945

Leonard P. Levine                    e-mail levine@cs.uwm.edu
Professor, Computer Science             Office (414) 229-5170
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee       Home   (414) 962-4719
Milwaukee, WI 53201 U.S.A.              FAX    (414) 229-6958

emanuele@kb2ear.ampr.org> (06/24/91)

wallyk@bicycle.wv.tek.com (Wally Kramer) writes:

>  Is there a ``phonebook'' which covers everywhere in the U.S.?
>  Electronic, CD-ROM, 900-FIND-THEM :-) or whatever (even paper).

AT&T has a service called AT&T Find America which is a communications
product which accesses LEC DataBases for Directory Assistance.

I think you should be able to get info on this by calling your AT&T
account executive.

Mark A. Emanuele    V.P. Engineering  Overleaf, Inc.
218 Summit Ave   Fords, NJ 08863   (908) 738-8486
emanuele@overlf.UUCP