[comp.dcom.telecom] Where Do They Get Off?

The unknown Florentine <root@surya.uucp> (06/21/91)

kossackj@marsh.rice.edu (Jordan M Kossack) writes:

> [Moderator's Note: The local telco is REQUIRED to share billing
> information with long distance carriers. Whether or not you have a
> non-pub number is irrelevant.   PAT]

But are they required to share this information if you don't recieve
service from them. ?

[Moderator's Note:L I think if they provide it to one carrier (i.e.
your default carrier under your old service is given the change of
address order to your new location) then I think if they strictly
follow the 'arms-length' philosophy they have to supply the same
change of address information, etc to the others on request.   PAT]

Jordan M Kossack <kossackj@marsh.rice.edu> (06/24/91)

At the beginning of this month, I moved.  Last week, I received a
letter from US Sprint asking me to change long distance service,
saying, in part, "now that you've changed your residence, make another
smart move...to Sprint."  Now, I don't mind (too much :-) if I get
'junque mail' trying to sell me one thing or another, but I do object
to Southwestern Bell telling Sprint my new address, since they're
_not_ my long distance carrier and have no reason to know the
information.

I realize that this isn't illeagal but I do think it is kind of sleazy
for SWB to give out such information to Sprint, since they won't give
addresses to folk who call up directory assistance.

Some folk may be wondering why I think that Sprint got the
information from SWB.  Well, when I originally called up for
service (at my last residence), the person at SWB mis-heard
me and entered my name into the computer as Koffack, which
was the name the letter from Sprint was addressed to and it
has been the _only_ letter, other than phone bills, to come
addressed to that name.  OBTW, mail from my LD carrier does
come addressed correctly, to Jordan Kossack.
                                    ^^^^
Why didn't I correct SWB's spelling?  Well, it is the next best thing
to an unlisted line ... and there's no charge.

Jordan Kossack  |   kossack@taronga.hackercorp.com