[comp.dcom.telecom] Modification of Ringback Tone by Subscriber Apparatus

larry@uunet.uu.net (Larry Lippman) (05/27/91)

In article <telecom11.397.6@eecs.nwu.edu> YSAR1111@vm1.yorku.ca (Rick
Broadhead) writes:

> I had a similar experience just a few days ago.  I dialed a number in
> my own area code (416), exchange 392, and was quite surprised to hear
> a double ring.  This is the first time I have ever heard a double
> ring on the calling end.

	Is it possible that you encountered a "line extender" for FAX
and/or modem use, which *immediately* trips the central office ringing
and supplies its own ringing signal?  Under these circumstances, you
may never get a chance to hear the CO ringback tone, with the
resultant ringback tone being solely the product of the subscriber's
line extender.

> [Moderator's Note: I don't know if you meant it the way it came out,
> but the telephone instrument has *nothing* to do with the ring you
> hear as the caller.  What you heard must have been some kind of fluke;
> some temporary switch problem.   PAT]

	The above explanation about a line extender notwitstanding, it
*is* possible to hear a ringback tone modification cased by the
subscriber instrument.  In electromechanical CO's, such as SxS, XY and
some No. 1 XBAR (if any is still left), ringback tone is usually
supplied by capacitive coupling between the called subscriber line
while it is being rung and the calling party side of the connector or
intraoffice trunk.  Some older telephones having electronic ringers
may create audible signals on the telephone line due to the design of
the ringer oscillator circuit.  While such audible signals cannot
modify the cadence of the ringback signal, they can provide a decided
modification to its sound as heard by the calling party.

	I first noticed the above many years ago in an Ericophone
(remember those?) having a electronic tone ringer.

Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp.  "Have you hugged your cat today?"
VOICE: 716/688-1231       {boulder, rutgers, watmath}!ub!kitty!larry
FAX:   716/741-9635   [note: ub=acsu.buffalo.edu] uunet!/      \aerion!larry

Dave Levenson <dave@westmark.westmark.com> (06/02/91)

Broadhead) writes:

> I had a similar experience just a few days ago.  I dialed a number in
> my own area code (416), exchange 392, and was quite surprised to hear
> a double ring.  This is the first time I have ever heard a double
> ring on the calling end.

It is possible that you reached a DID trunk into a PBX.  In this case,
the ringing, busy, and other 'call progress' tones are not supplied by
the C.O., but by the destination PBX.  If this PBX generates a
double-ring tone toward the calling party (possibly when it generates
a double-ring toward the called party) then that's what you'll hear.

Were you calling a commercial establishment?  A college dorm or
campus?  Some other place where you were dialing directly to an
extension of a large private network?

Dave Levenson		Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.		UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
Voice: 908 647 0900     Fax: 908 647 6857

Rick Broadhead <YSAR1111@vm1.yorku.ca> (06/02/91)

In Vol. 11, Issue 413, dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson)
writes:

> Were you calling a commercial establishment?  A college dorm or campus?
> Some other place where you were dialing directly to an extension of a large
> private network?

To answer your question: I heard the double-ring when calling the
"Management Services" department at Toronto City Hall.

Rick Broadhead   ysar1111@VM1.YorkU.CA

grayt@uunet.uu.net> (06/04/91)

>> Were you calling a commercial establishment?  A college dorm or campus?
>> Some other place where you were dialing directly to an extension of a large
>> private network?

> To answer your question: I heard the double-ring when calling the
> "Management Services" department at Toronto City Hall.

The double ring will indicate that the destination has answered your
call on its own equipment. The real implication of this is that you
are now being billed for the time that you are listening to ringing.

Tom Gray

John Higdon <john@zygot.ati.com> (06/05/91)

Tom Gray <mitel!Software!grayt@uunet.uu.net> writes:

> The double ring will indicate that the destination has answered your
> call on its own equipment. The real implication of this is that you
> are now being billed for the time that you are listening to ringing.

Not generally true. If the reason you are hearing an unusual ringing
signal involves a PBX, it is probably a DID connection. Answer
supervision occurs when, and only when, the call is picked up by the
ringing extension. Busy, no answer, and even local customer intercept
recordings do not return supervision on a properly set up PBX.

In essence, the PBX becomes the terminating CO.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

"John R. Covert 05-Jun-1991 1440" <covert@covert.enet.dec.com> (06/05/91)

>> To answer your question: I heard the double-ring when calling the
>> "Management Services" department at Toronto City Hall.

> The double ring will indicate that the destination has answered your
> call on its own equipment. The real implication of this is that you
> are now being billed for the time that you are listening to ringing.

Tom, for the Management Services department at Toronto City Hall, this
is not the case.

As has already been explained, when a PBX has DID trunks, audible
ringing tone is returned to the caller directly from the PBX, which
can ring any way it pleases.  This earlier response was correct, and
yours was incorrect.

Specifically, 416 392-7715 rings with double ring, but you are not
billed until someone answers.  I have verified this from a trunk which
provides positive indication of answer supervision.

john

tom@lynx.aptix.com> (06/06/91)

John Higdon <john@zygot.ati.com> writes:

> ... If the reason you are hearing an unusual ringing
> signal involves a PBX, it is probably a DID connection. Answer
> supervision occurs when, and only when, the call is picked up by the
> ringing extension. Busy, no answer, and even local customer intercept
> recordings do not return supervision on a properly set up PBX.

> In essence, the PBX becomes the terminating CO.

It seems there's a potential for fraud here.  I assume there are rules
for what may be sent out as a local intercept without returning answer
supervision.  I assume that a call answered by a "we're closed now,
call back in the morning" recording ought to be paid for.  Are
businesses with DID on an honor system in this regard?

Tom Ace     tom@aptix.com

David E Martin <dem@iexist.att.com> (06/06/91)

In article <telecom11.425.2@eecs.nwu.edu> mitel!Software!grayt@
uunet.uu.net (Tom Gray) writes:

> The double ring will indicate that the destination has answered your
> call on its own equipment. The real implication of this is that you
> are now being billed for the time that you are listening to ringing.

Only if the PBX returns answer supervision at that point.  PBX's can
transfer you all over the place before signaling the calling CO that
the call is connected and billing should start.

David Martin, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Naperville, IL
dem@iexist.att.com, (708) 713-5121

mat@uunet.uu.net (06/08/91)

>>> Were you calling a commercial establishment?  A college dorm or campus?
>>> Some other place where you were dialing directly to an extension of a large
>>> private network?

>> To answer your question: I heard the double-ring when calling the
>> "Management Services" department at Toronto City Hall.

> The double ring will indicate that the destination has answered your
> call on its own equipment. The real implication of this is that you
> are now being billed for the time that you are listening to ringing.

I don't believe so.  If it's DID into a PBX, you shouldn't be billed
until the PBX indicates that the call has been answered; the PBX can
(and must, to be registered with the FCC) generate certain `call
progress' tones before giving the electrical indication that the call
has been answered (``returning answer supervision'').  On the other
hand, if you get an ``all of our agents are busy; please hold on''
message, the PBX should have returned answer supervision and you are
being charged.

(This man's opinions are his own.)
 From mole-end	  Mark Terribile

Dave Levenson <dave@westmark.westmark.com> (06/08/91)

uunet.uu.net (Tom Gray) writes:

> The double ring will indicate that the destination has answered your
> call on its own equipment. The real implication of this is that you
> are now being billed for the time that you are listening to ringing.

This could be true, but may not be.  If a DID PBX is generating the
double-ring tone, it probably has not sent off-hook supervision.
(There may be some other customer-provided-equipment that does go
off-hook and then send ring tone.)

John Higdon <john@zygot.ati.com> (06/09/91)

Tom Ace <crux!tom@lynx.aptix.com> writes:

> It seems there's a potential for fraud here.  I assume there are rules
> for what may be sent out as a local intercept without returning answer
> supervision.  I assume that a call answered by a "we're closed now,
> call back in the morning" recording ought to be paid for.  Are
> businesses with DID on an honor system in this regard?

Yes and no. There is a potential for fraud, but businesses that have
DID circuits maintain a fairly high visibility with the serving
telcos.  I have known some people who have done some pretty rude
things with DID, but eventually someone from telco (or in one case
AT&T) discovered what was going on and "suggested some changes" in the
way supervision was returned.

For example, 800 EAT SH*T used to terminate on a DID that had a barker
for a 900 service where you could gripe about bad drivers. The clever
person delivered the barker message without benefit of supervision so
HE was not charged for the 800 call.

When AT&T finally got wind of this, they threated and huffed and
puffed, but the person explained that the recording on the 800 number
was simply a "referral" to the 900 number. AT&T was not amused, but in
lieu of other action disconnected the 800 number and gave it an
unembellished referral to the 900 number. Interesting while it lasted.

As far as "we're closed now, call back in the morning" is concerned,
many businesses do this and get away with it. By the way, do not
bother to write me for a list; I still have to live here :-)

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

macy@fmsys.uucp (Macy Hallock) (06/09/91)

In article <telecom11.425.2@eecs.nwu.edu> is written:

>>> Were you calling a commercial establishment?  A college dorm or
>>> campus?  Some other place where you were dialing directly to an
>>> extension of a large private network?

>> To answer your question: I heard the double-ring when calling the
>> "Management Services" department at Toronto City Hall.

> The double ring will indicate that the destination has answered your
> call on its own equipment. The real implication of this is that you
> are now being billed for the time that you are listening to ringing.

What?  This sounds incorrect to me.  My 20+ years (am I _that_ old?)
tells me that:

DID trunks provide answer supervision to the telco office.  That means
billing does not occur until answer supervision is provided to the
telco by the PBX.  All PBX software I have seen for DID trunks works
just this way: no supervision until a call is terminated/answered at a
station.  Rings and busies (and usually recorded intercepts) do not
give answer supervision.  Just like The Phone Company (tm) ... and this
is done to their specification, too.  And the FCC and CRTC agree, too.

Perhaps you are thinking of some pager terminals or old style IMTS/MTS
equipment that used DID trunks in a different way.

Macy M. Hallock, Jr. N8OBG  216-725-4764 Home
macy@fmsystm.UUCP macy@NCoast.ORG
Note: macy@ncoast.org is best reply path to me.   uunet!aablue!fmsystm!macy
[No disclaimer, but I have no real idea what I'm saying or why I'm telling you]

KATH MULLHOLAND <K_MULLHOLAND@unhh.unh.edu> (06/10/91)

I think Tom Gray was right when he said if a PBX gives you a double
ring you're paying for the call.

I've asked three telecom CO people this question and all agreed -- the
last CO through which the call passed passes the ringing tone.  That
is true even on DID connections.  If you get a double ring from a PBX
it is because the PBX returned answer supervision and is supplying its
own ring.  Yes, when you hear the phone ring, it rings twice, but we
all know the ringing the caller hears is unrelated to the ringing the
phone creates, don't we? :-}

As I understand it, there are a few reasons you can get double ring
from a phone company CO.  1) a party line of more than two parties.
2) a step office will supply a variety of wierd ringing and other
tones.

There may be others, as well.  This is all second-hand, but what was
coming in these messages didn't agree with my understanding of how our
PBX related to TPC, so I started asking questions.

Kath Mullholand      UNH, Durham NH

"John R. Covert 11-Jun-1991 1710" <covert@covert.enet.dec.com> (06/11/91)

> I think Tom Gray was right when he said if a PBX gives you a double
> ring you're paying for the call.

He's wrong, at least in the case of 416 392-7715 and most other cases.

> I've asked three telecom CO people this question and all agreed -- the
> last CO through which the call passed passes the ringing tone.  That
> is true even on DID connections.  If you get a double ring from a PBX
> it is because the PBX returned answer supervision and is supplying its
> own ring.

Kath, you're simply wrong.  I happen to be an expert on DID trunks and
PBXs.  I either know more than the CO people you talked to, or you did
not ask the right questions or understand their answers.

DID trunks work as follows:

CO seizes the trunk and sends digits to PBX.

CO cuts voice path through to PBX.

What the caller hears from now on, ring, busy, or recording, comes
directly from the PBX.

At some point, the PBX may or may not return answer supervision.
Until the PBX does so, the call is free, regardless of what sounds
come out of the PBX.  For this reason, AT&T, on long distance
circuits, does not cut a FORWARD voice path through until answer
supervision is returned.

It's pretty simple.  If the CO were providing ring, busy, recordings,
etc., you would have to have a protocol from the PBX to the C.O. that
told the C.O. whether to send a ring or a busy signal.  And there
would be no way that you could get no charge recordings provided by
the PBX that tell you that an extension isn't valid and give you the
main number.

There is no such protocol in use on DID trunks.  The ONLY information
a DID trunk can send to the C.O. is answer supervision.  There is no
way for a DID trunk to tell the C.O. to provide ringing tone or busy
or other responses once the digits have been sent to the PBX.

As I said in an earlier reply, I called 416 392-7715 and received a
double ring.  I did this from a line which provides a positive
indication of answer supervision.  There was a double ring, and there
was no answer supervision.  If you choose not to believe the experts,
there's not much more I can say.

john

hildum@ariel (Eric Hildum) (06/17/91)

In article <telecom11.427.3@eecs.nwu.edu> covert@covert.enet.dec.com
(John R. Covert 05-Jun-1991 1440) writes:

> Specifically, 416 392-7715 rings with double ring, but you are not
> billed until someone answers.  I have verified this from a trunk which
> provides positive indication of answer supervision.

Soon, this will no longer neccesarily be true (at least in the USA.)
According to recent changes to FCC Part 68.314(h), when a DID call is
forwarded out of the receiving switch, answer supervision will
generally be returned after about 15-20 seconds (final value yet to be
determined), regardless of the actual state of the call.  This change
was made at the request of the service providers; they felt that they
were losing significant sums of money delivering DID calls to PBXes
which, due to misprogramming or forwarding of calls over nonsupervisory
trunks (eg, out to the public network again), did not return answer
supervison when the call was actually answered. The upshot of it all
is that you will no longer be able to tell from the call progress
tones what the billing status of the call actually is.

Eric Hildum
Standard disclaimer here
(I really don't know what I'm talking about)

bruce@pixar.com (06/23/91)

In a PBX with DID trunks, what happens if something breaks and the PBX
never does return supervision? Does a two-way audio path exist? Will
the connection stay up as long as desired, or time out?

Bruce Perens

tep@ucsd.edu> (06/25/91)

In article <telecom11.427.3@eecs.nwu.edu> covert@covert.enet.dec.com
(John R. Covert 05-Jun-1991 1440) writes:

> Specifically, 416 392-7715 rings with double ring, but you are not
> billed until someone answers.  I have verified this from a trunk which
> provides positive indication of answer supervision.

What kind of trunk provides "positive indication of answer supervision"?
Is this a test function in the CO, or can you get at this through a
porperly-featured PBX?

Tom Perrine (tep)   |Internet: tep@tots.Logicon.COM |Voice: +1 619 597 7221
Logicon - T&TSD     | UUCP: sun!suntan!tots!tep     |  or : +1 619 455 1330
P.O. Box 85158      |GENIE: T.PERRINE               |  FAX: +1 619 552 0729
San Diego CA 92138