[comp.dcom.telecom] How is a SLC-96 Powered?

bud@uunet.uu.net> (06/25/91)

In article <telecom11.475.8@eecs.nwu.edu> rees@citi.umich.edu (Jim
Rees) writes:

> How is an SLC-96 powered?  Local AC connected at the site?  DC sent
> down a pair from the CO?  I assume it's battery backed, but how long
> is the battery good for?  We had a power outage here a few years back
> that lasted ten days.  The CO stayed up because they have their own
> diesel generators.  But what about customers on an SLC-96 (or
> equivalent)?

It is _not_ powered from the CO, except for the standard T1 line
powering that may include the LIU's, as well.

It is local AC powered and may or may not have battery back-up
capability, depending on what housing it is mounted in. The usual
mounting is in either a mini-hut, or an (underground) CEV, which do
include battery back-up. There is no integral back-up generators, but
there is an external ( to the enclosure) connector which can be
quickly and easily connected to a portable generator. These generators
look a lot like construction site air-compressors, and are towed to
the site in a similar manner. Once there, they an be connected in, and
powering equipment in minutes. And yes, there is a "power-out" alarm
at the serving CO to let them know that there is a problem.

For an enormous amount of info on the SLC-96, see the BSTJ article in
December '84.

Bud Couch - ADC/Kentrox   If my employer only knew...  standard BS applies