[comp.dcom.telecom] IDDD From a Cellular Phone

Jim Hickstein <jim.hickstein@icdwest.teradyne.com> (06/19/91)

I recently signed up with GTE Mobilnet in San Francisco (give or take
100 miles), and almost immediately tried to dial a number in Japan,
with 011 +81 ... and got a recording saying that I could not dial this
call directly, but had to use some sort of calling card arrangement
with a long-distance company.  I promptly dialed 01+81 ... <bong> and
my Pacific*Bell calling card number (while managing not to drive over
the edge of the San Mateo bridge), and the call was completed.

Humph.  So, what was that all about?  10288.700.555.4141 gave an
intercept of some kind (my memory is unclear), indicating that equal
access was not available.  700.555.4141 yielded a polite "Thank you
for using AT&T."  So, if AT&T is *the* long-distance company I must
use, how could there possibly be any confusion about billing
arrangements?  That was the explanation that seemed most likely to
spring from the lips of a GTE employee the next morning. (*611 and
*111, the latter for reporting network trouble, were routed to a
recording that told me to call them back when it was convenient for
them to come to the phone, i.e. business hours!  Clearly their network
doesn't *have* trouble during off-peak times, when I will do most of
my calling.  But I digress.)

A friend of mine who reads every word of Telecom (I only manage about
10 per cent of it) mentioned that it was a policy to forestall fraud
by "tumbler" phones making urgent international calls to drug-producing
regions.  Really?  How?  Or is it: How much?  I was informed not an
hour before by the GTE tech that my phone told the MTSO both its
directory number *and* ESN, and that they had to match in the switch
before a call would be completed.  Doesn't this go far enough in
avoiding fraud of that sort?  Or must the customers (the *paying*
customers, remember) be inconvenienced, forcing them to dial yet more
digits?

Why is equal-access not mandated for cellular telephone service, if
indeed it is not?  Could not the cellular companies provide it anyway,
because they're nice guys?  Or to get me off their backs?

I *was* satisfied with GTE's service representative, who told me that
he couldn't give me a map of the exact cell sites, but graciously
showed me the big map on the wall of his office, updated daily.  It
had blue pins for cells off the San Jose switch, and red ones for the
San Mateo switch.  I thereby determined that I had made the right
choice of carrier, as they had a number of cells in crucial locations
that I transit in the hills around here.  And I was *delighted* to
discover that I could dial ten-digit numbers in my own area code (408),
so my phone (formerly in 415) did not have to have all its memories
reprogrammed.  He confirmed that I can call from King City to
Vacaville for the normal rate, a distance of some 150 miles, all that
territory being part of my home system.  In fact, I roam to Stockton
(in my driveway, my house is a long-distance call: I live in Tracy)
for $0.15/minute off-peak, even cheaper than the $0.20 home system
rate, with no per-diem or other nonsense.  They seem to do things
right.

I also confirmed, however, that they charge airtime twice if you use
their voice message facility: once to record the incoming call, and
again to get your message, which evidently *must* be done from the
cell phone, and cannot be done with access codes from a land line.  I
did not find out whether they charge anything other than the monthly
fee for forward-no-answer; I can imagine an unscrupulous carrier
nailing the poor slobs every time a call is forwarded, or even airtime
for calls forwarded to a land line!  I hear someone nails you for 2x
airtime for "conference" calls which clearly use only one radio
channel.  Let us hope this is not a vision of the future.

wright@ais.org (Carl Wright) (06/21/91)

jim.hickstein@icdwest.teradyne.com (Jim Hickstein) writes:

> I hear someone nails you for 2x airtime for "conference" calls
> which clearly use only one radio channel.  Let us hope this is not a
> vision of the future.

This is probably because the conference call is represented by two or
more toll ticket records off their switch. When they process millions
of records a month and often millions a day, they find it alot of work
to get them together and then determine how much time was actually
used by each caller even though the same caller was recorded on both
toll tickets.

The programming is complicated. The amount of processing is significant.
They are probably have the programming wrong to begin with.

The switch manufacturers are changing their toll outputs to make this
billing easier for the carriers. This will eventually ease the problem.

Carl Wright                     | Lynn-Arthur Associates, Inc.
Internet: wright@ais.org        | 2350 Green Rd., #160
Voice: 1 313 995 5590 EST       | Ann Arbor, MI 48105

john@mojave.ati.com (John Higdon) (06/22/91)

Jim Hickstein <jim.hickstein@icdwest.teradyne.com> writes:

> I recently signed up with GTE Mobilnet in San Francisco (give or take
> 100 miles), and almost immediately tried to dial a number in Japan,
> with 011 +81 ... and got a recording saying that I could not dial this
> call directly, but had to use some sort of calling card arrangement
> with a long-distance company.  I promptly dialed 01+81 ... <bong> and
> my Pacific*Bell calling card number (while managing not to drive over
> the edge of the San Mateo bridge), and the call was completed.

Call GTE Mobilnet back and explain that you have the need to call
Japan (or wherever). Explain that you do not wish to add to the
already high cost of the call by using a credit card. Tell the person
that you do not feel it right that you be penalized because of GTE's
own internal problems. Then say that you might have to switch to
Cellular One, since they allow IDDD.

I can almost guarantee that you will have IDDD enabled henceforth from
your telephone. The cellular cancellation rate is such that carriers
are more than hungry right now and I can assure you that GTE does not
want to lose your business.

I have two cellular phones (and accounts with GTE) and both of them
can call IDDD just fine. You must make the wheel squeak a bit, but you
will get action. If for some reason you get flack, I can e-mail you
the name of the person that WILL get IDDD running for you.

John Higdon <john@zygot.ati.com> (hiding out in the desert)

wright@ais.org (Carl Wright) (06/25/91)

john@mojave.ati.com (John Higdon) writes:

> Call GTE Mobilnet back and explain that you have the need to call
> Japan (or wherever). Explain that you do not wish to add to the
> already high cost of the call by using a credit card. Tell the person
> that you do not feel it right that you be penalized because of GTE's
> own internal problems. Then say that you might have to switch to
> Cellular One, since they allow IDDD.

> I can almost guarantee that you will have IDDD enabled henceforth from
> your telephone. The cellular cancellation rate is such that carriers
> are more than hungry right now and I can assure you that GTE does not
> want to lose your business.

John is right. The rate of change of the subscriber enrollment is so
high that carriers are creating customer service hit teams to stop the
turnover. They even have coined a name for it. They call it "CHURN".

In the cellular companies all the marketing and administration types
are concerned about this more than anything else. The engineers are
probably worrying about running out of capacity.