[comp.dcom.telecom] Where is the SLC-96 Power Supply?

rees@pisa.citi.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (06/21/91)

How is an SLC-96 powered?  Local AC connected at the site?  DC sent
down a pair from the CO?  I assume it's battery backed, but how long
is the battery good for?  We had a power outage here a few years back
that lasted ten days.  The CO stayed up because they have their own
diesel generators.  But what about customers on an SLC-96 (or
equivalent)?

dalyb@ncar.ucar.edu> (06/26/91)

In article <telecom11.475.8@eecs.nwu.edu>, rees@pisa.citi.umich.edu
(Jim Rees) writes:

> How is an SLC-96 powered?  Local AC connected at the site?  DC sent
> down a pair from the CO?  I assume it's battery backed, but how long

A SLC-96 is powered by commercial 117V AC, fed into a battery
charger/rectifier. This battery charger continuously charges internal
batteries used in the event of power failures, and rectifies the 117V
AC to the -48Vdc required for the frame.

If multiple SLC-96s are in the same location, then other types of
power plants may be used (to power many SLC96s). In some applications,
no battery backup is used.

As far as the rating on the batteries, I really don't know. I would
guess on the order of 8 hours emergency backup.

Brian K. Daly WB7OML @ AG Communication Systems, Phoenix, Arizona
UUCP: {...!ames!ncar!noao!asuvax | uunet!zardoz!hrc | att}!gtephx!dalyb
Phone: (602) 582-7644    FAX: (602) 582-7111