[comp.dcom.telecom] Fighting Telemarketers

Will Martin <wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil> (06/24/91)

Telecom readers who dislike telemarketers should read the front-page
article on Robert Bulmash in the 24 June 91 {Wall Street Journal}.
This is the guy who founded the anti-telemarketers group that notifies
telemarketing firms via legal notice that calls to their members will
incur a $100 charge, and he has a history of collecting, both out of
and in court.

I've seen other articles on him and his organization, and I believe
I've seen some television coverage also. This article is a good
summary and I find it *most* interesting that the pro-business WSJ
presented his aims in such a sympathetic light! The article even
includes a sidebar of suggestions on the best ways to discourage
telemarketers from calling or how to cause them the most inconvenience
if they call.

Regards, Will

schuster@cmcl2.nyu.edu> (06/26/91)

In article <telecom11.485.3@eecs.nwu.edu> wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil
(Will Martin) writes:

> Telecom readers who dislike telemarketers should read the front-page
> article on Robert Bulmash in the 24 June 91 {Wall Street Journal}.

> The article even includes a sidebar of suggestions on the best
> ways to discourage telemarketers from calling or how to cause
> them the most inconvenience if they call.

Could you post a summary? (within copyright guidelines, of course)

                Mike Schuster                      |   -CIS: 70346,1745
-NY Public Access UNIX:  schuster@panix.com        |   -MCI Mail, GENIE:
-The Portal (R) System:  schuster@cup.portal.com   |           MSCHUSTER