[comp.dcom.telecom] Never Sleep in Room 411

"Terry J. Wood" <TJW@vms.cis.pitt.edu> (06/21/91)

On a recent vacation, I made the mistake of getting room 411 in a hotel.
I also made the mistake of being the one to sleep next to the telephone.

Around 3 AM the phone rings:

Me:         "Yea, uh, what, uh, HELLO?"
Some woman: "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!!!"
Me:         "That's nice.  Goodbye"

Ok, she didn't really say "Help. I've fallen and I can't get up", but
she did say something similar.  I also received several calls from
other guests in the hotel asking for directory assistance.  I guess
that in some cities the number "411" connects you to directory
assistance.  However, dialing it inside the hotel connects you to room
411.  Needless to say, I got a different room the next night.

Jack.Winslade@uunet.uu.net> (06/23/91)

In a message of <21 Jun 91 15:17:00>, Terry J. Wood writes:

> On a recent vacation, I made the mistake of getting room 411 in a hotel.
> I also made the mistake of being the one to sleep next to the telephone.

> Around 3 AM the phone rings:

{ anecdote deleted }

A year ago, perhaps as long as two, I recalled my experience working
in a hotel in the 1970's and the ordeal of removing room 411 and
renumbering the odd rooms of the '400' building ... 409 413 415 ...
etc. for just this reason.

If I remember correctly, my article was poo-poo'ed (I will not say by
whom <grin>).  I forget the exact rebuttal, but it was along the line
that what I had recalled was very unlikely to happen in the real
world.  I am glad to see that someone else confirmed this.

The problem of room 411 has been known to hotel managers for several
decades.  I am surprised the problem still exists, since I am sure the
manager of the hotel in which you stayed has received many complaints.

As an aside for those wondering, yes, we had a room 611, but no
complaints that I know of.  No, we did not have a room 911, our
highest was 858 or something like that.  Dialing 9 gave the usual
off-property CO dial tone.

Good Day!       JSW

[Moderator's Note: Some hotels get around this problem by requiring a
digit *before* the room number. One here in Chicago says dial 9 for
local calls, dial 8 for long distance calls, dial 7 followed by the
three or four digit room number (if first digit after the seven is 3
or greater then expect two more digits and if first digit after the
seven is 1 or 2 then expect three more digits), and dial 1 through 6
for special functions such as room service, front desk, valet, etc.
Dial 0 for emergencies, do not disturb requests, etc.  PAT]

"Lyle A. McGeoch" <lyle@dimacs.rutgers.edu> (06/24/91)

I had a similar experience.  One summer I spent a summer living at
Manhattanville College, which had an old-fashioned phone system in
some of its dorms.  If someone wanted to call you from off-campus,
they would call some central number.  The operator would make a light
flash in your room, and you would call 661 (perhaps from the hall
phone) to get connected to your caller.

Well, I lived in one of the dorms with real phones, and as luck would
have it my number was 611.  We quickly learned that we had to take our
phone off the hook before the 11 pm rush of calls started.  Which made
it hard for anyone to call us.

Lyle McGeoch   Amherst College

Larry DeMar <larry@chinet.chi.il.us> (06/26/91)

In article <telecom11.474.3@eecs.nwu.edu> TJW@vms.cis.pitt.edu (Terry
J. Wood) writes:

> On a recent vacation, I made the mistake of getting room 411 in a hotel.
> I also made the mistake of being the one to sleep next to the telephone.

> I guess that in some cities the number "411" connects you to directory
> assistance.  However, dialing it inside the hotel connects you to room
> 411.  Needless to say, I got a different room the next night.

This situation is not unique to hotels.  A friend of mine had
extension 411 on the PBX at work.  He got plenty of "directory" calls.
After awhile (and before getting his extension changed) he would just
give out numbers to people that asked (needless to say, he didn't have
a phone book  :).

Email:  chinet!larry@gargoyle.uchicago.edu