[comp.dcom.telecom] Is Cellular Phone Jamming Possible?

Dave Rubin <drubin@prism.poly.edu> (06/22/91)

I was wondering if it was possible to jam the signal of a cellular
phone to prevent effective communication.

The reason I ask is that a new automobile anti-theft system, called
"Intercept" has recently been introduced.  This system uses a cellular
phone to alert a central station as to the whereabouts of the stolen
automobile, and the station can also send a signal to the car to turn
off its engine.

It would seem that if a car thief can get his hands on a device to jam
a cellular phone signal, the "Intercept" system would be useless.

Any info would be appreciated ... please respond via E-mail.

Dave Rubin   Polytechnic University  drubin@prism.poly.edu

[Moderator's Note: But please copy the Digest with your replies.  PAT]

johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) (06/23/91)

I'd think a straightforward way to inactivate a system that uses a
car's cellular phone to call the cops would be to use a pair of bolt
cutters to remove the antenna.  A new antenna, particularly a
glass-mount one, is cheap and easy to install should the thief be so
inclined.

Regards,

John Levine, johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|world}!iecc!johnl

John Parsons <johnp@gr.hp.com> (06/24/91)

drubin@prism.poly.edu (Dave Rubin) writes....

> .... alert a central station as to the whereabouts of the stolen
> automobile, and the station can also send a signal to the car to
> turn off its engine.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
And suppose this results in an accident?  I'll bet the lawyers are
drooling over this one!

Cheers,

John Parsons    johnp@hpgrla.gr.hp.com

Allen Gwinn <allen@sulaco.lonestar.org> (06/26/91)

In article <telecom11.486.6@eecs.nwu.edu> rubin@prism.poly.edu (Dave
Rubin) writes:

>> .... alert a central station as to the whereabouts of the stolen
>> automobile, and the station can also send a signal to the car to
>> turn off its engine.
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> And suppose this results in an accident?  I'll bet the lawyers are
> drooling over this one!

I don't know about other parts of the country, but in Texas, the only
thing that you owe someone involved in this type of activity is not to
*intentionally* injure them.  I would argue that shutting off the
engine of my car was to prevent a thief from driving it any further
than he/she already had.  If the person couldn't coast it over to the
side of the road, well, thats what insurance is for :-)

Allen Gwinn (allen@sulaco.lonestar.org)

Ihor J Kinal <ijk@violin.att.com> (06/26/91)

In article <telecom11.490.1@eecs.nwu.edu>, johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us
(John R. Levine) writes:

> I'd think a straightforward way to inactivate a system that uses a
> car's cellular phone to call the cops would be to use a pair of bolt
> cutters to remove the antenna.

I thought the same thing -- but in today's [6/26] {NY Times} Business
section, there's a review of the device.  [I assume it's the same
thing we've been actually discussing, although the details appear to
be different].

Point 1:  It's not actually cellular, but some spread-spectrum
technology which is much-more difficult to jam [assuming that the
thief even knows that the need exists to perform jamming].  I doubt a
typical scanner would notice.

Point 2:  It's not clear what the antenna requirements were --
supposedly the unit could be placed anywhere in the car, although I'm
puzzled as to the strength outside that nice Faraday cage [unless, of
course, you're driving a Vette].

Point 3:  Given a choice, I might still prefer a Lo-Jack system -- this
way, if the police don't repsond in time, we can still recover the
car, as well as nab the gang in question.

Hope this helps,

[standard disclaimers, plus I'm a software person, now].

Ihor Kinal
att!cbnewsh!ijk		or 		att!trumpet!ijk