[comp.dcom.telecom] Simple Connection Between Fax and Fax Modem

Joseph Chan <joseph@milton.u.washington.edu> (06/26/91)

I have a standalone fax machine and a fax modem (send/receive at 9600
baud) installed on my 286 machine.  There is no RS232 port on the fax
machine.  I have one phone line at home.  Here is what I am trying to
accomplish (i.e. use the fax machine as a scanner):

1. Connect the fax machine to the fax modem thru a regular telephone
cable.

2. Send image from the fax machine to the fax modem over the telephone
cable. (since I have one phone line at home, I can not send the fax
image over the telephone system).

3. Edit and manipulate the image.

One other thing I would like to try (i.e. use the fax machine as a
printer to print image received by the fax modem):

1. Let the fax modem receive the incoming fax message.  Screen the
message by viewing the fax message bitcom software.

2. Send the fax image to the fax machine for printer.  (The reason for
this: the Epson 24 header printer is very slow to print out a fax
image, the fax machine can print at less than 30sec per page).

Has any one done some similar thing to this?  Thank you for any
pointers.

Joseph Chan                     Internet: joseph@nsr.bioeng.washington.edu
Center for Bioengineering         Bitnet: chanj@uwarita.bitnet
University of Washington WD-12      UUCP: uw-beaver!uw-nsr!joseph
Seattle, Washington  98195          Dial: (206) 543-5418

Proctor & Associates <0003991080@mcimail.com> (06/27/91)

Joseph Chan <joseph@milton.u.washington.edu> writes:

> I have a standalone fax machine and a fax modem (send/receive at 9600
> baud) installed on my 286 machine.  There is no RS232 port on the fax
> machine.  I have one phone line at home.  Here is what I am trying to
> accomplish (i.e. use the fax machine as a scanner):

> 1. Connect the fax machine to the fax modem thru a regular telephone
> cable.

(rest deleted ... describes how he wants to be able to send from the
fax modem to the fax machine, and vice versa, without going via a
regular phone line.)

This is easy to do with a CO line simulator, like the ones made by
Proctor & Associates.  They simulate regular central office lines,
with dialtone, ringback tone, ringing voltage and everything, and can
be used with any device that will work on a standard phone line.  The
four line unit is the model 49200, and it sells for $475.  It will
work with both rotary and tone dialing, and uses two digit dialing for
each line.

There is a new two line unit that is less expensive, the model 49250.
It sells for $259.95, and uses only tone dialing.  To dial the other
port, just dial the # key, or any seven digit number.

If the fax machines don't have to dial and don't need to hear dial
tone, one could get by really cheap with a ringdown circuit.  The
Proctor model 46220 sells for $179, and as soon as it detects an off
hook condition on one jack, it sends ringing to the other.

With any of these devices one can do anything that one would do with a
standard phone line.  Modems can talk to modems, fax boards can use
fax machines as printers, and phones can talk to other phones.

Proctor & Associates is at 15050 NE 36th St, Redmond, WA 98052-5317.
The phone number is 206-881-7000, and fax is 206-885-3282.  All
prices are FOB Redmond, WA, and Proctor accepts Visa or Master Card.

Paul Cook   Proctor & Associates
Redmond, WA  206-881-7000   3991080@mcimail.com