[comp.dcom.telecom] Important Changes in Sprint Plus Rates

David Dodell <ddodell@stjhmc.fidonet.org> (06/21/91)

After reading the notice here about the changes in Sprint Plus, I
called them to verify the posting.  Yes, the changes went into effect
June 1st, and they have done away with the evening billed at night
rates.  However, evening rates are now given a 20% discount, so "they"
claim I should be paying around the same per minute.

I've asked about Sprint Select ($7.50 first hour/$6.50 every hour
afterwards) and that still kicks in at 5 pm.

I told the representative that I was not very pleased about not
receiving "advanced" notification of the change, and she offered to
adjust my bill for the calls for the month of June.

I guess it is time to re-evaluate calling plan patterns again <sigh>.

David

    St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center, Phoenix, Arizona
     uucp: {gatech, ames, rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!ddodell
   Bitnet: ATW1H @ ASUACAD                    FidoNet=> 1:114/15
 Internet: ddodell@stjhmc.fidonet.org       FAX: +1 (602) 451-1165

Tony Davis <ted@cs.brown.edu> (06/26/91)

Another change that I haven't seen mentioned:

Calling card calls no longer get the normal per minute rates.  Now in
addition to the calling card surcharge, the per minute rate is higher.

Tony Davis   ted@cs.brown.edu

Sean Williams <0004715238@mcimail.com> (06/26/91)

Tad.Cook@ssc.uucp writes:

> I checked with the Sprint operator, and to call anywhere in the USA
> the night rate is 13 cents, and the evening rate is 14 cents.  So with
> 20% off that, I will pay 11.2 cents per minute during the evening, and
> only 10.4 cents at night.  Not bad.

> How does this compare with similar plans from other carriers?

MCI's PrimeTime Plan (sm) would be the competition to the Sprint service
you have just described.

PrimeTime is designed for people who make most of their long-distance
calls in the evening or on the weekends.  PrimeTime savings are in
effect from 5pm to 8am on weekdays, all day Saturday and all day
Sunday until 5pm, and then from 11pm Sunday until 8am Monday morning.

The plan costs a minimum of $7.50 per month, which includes one free
hour of calls during the plan hours (defined above).  You also receive
a 10% discount on calls outside the plan hours, which will be billed
at MCI's normal "mileage- sensitive" rates.

After the first free hour, you are billed only for the time you actually
use.  Additional hours are billed at $6.50 (about $0.1083 per minute).
And you still receive the 10% discount outside of plan hours.

Sean E. Williams		|  seanwilliams@mcimail.com
Spectrum Telecommunications	|  Have a good day!
PO Box 227			|  <<no disclaimed needed>>
Duncannon, PA 17020-0227	|  voicemail +1 717 957 8127

Jiro Nakamura <jiro@shaman.com> (06/28/91)

In article <telecom11.489.8@eecs.nwu.edu> Tad.Cook@ssc.uucp writes:

> I checked with the Sprint operator, and to call anywhere in the USA
> the night rate is 13 cents, and the evening rate is 14 cents.  So with
> 20% off that, I will pay 11.2 cents per minute during the evening, and
> only 10.4 cents at night.  Not bad.

With Reach Out America, the night/weekend rate is a steady $6.60 per
hour. The ROA evening rate is 15% off the standard day rate. If you
use ROA's 24hour plan, you get 25% off the standard day rate.

For example: From Ithaca NY (607-277) to Palo Alto California
(415-326) (AT&T does not have a set rate, it varies with "mileage", ut
this is the most *expensive* it gets, domestic, I think).

Time Period	Standard (/min)	Standard	ROA Basic	24hr
Wkd 8am-5pm	24c + 25c	$14.99/hr			$13.49 (22c)
Wkd 5pm-11pm	14c +15c	$8.99		$7.64 (12.7c)	$6.74 (11.2c)
Wkd 11pm-8am	13c +14c	$8.39		$6.60 (11.0c)	$6.60 (11.0c)
Wknd 		13c +14c	$8.39		$6.60 (11.0c)	$6.60 (11.0c)

The cent figures in () are estimated over an hour.

The monthly charge for ROA is $6.80. With that, you get one hour of
night/weekend calls "free." The monthly charge for ROA-24 is $7.80
with an hour free.

I am currently using ROA-24. It makes a lot of sense for me. I'm
surprised to see that with it, AT&T is almost equal to Sprint+, witn
a small difference of .2 cents.  I personally like AT&T a lot.

Jiro Nakamura		jiro@shaman.com
Shaman Consulting	+1 607 277-1440 Voice/Fax/Data