[comp.dcom.telecom] Explain This Scam

spencer@med.umich.edu (Spencer W. Thomas) (06/25/91)

Our paper, a few days ago, ran an article titled "Prisoners cheat
phone company on costly calls."  It attempts to explain a scam that
some "guests" of the state are using to make free LD phone calls.  I
don't understand the purported explanation.  Maybe one of you can
explain it for me.

LANSING -- Some Michigan prison inmates are making unlimited free
long-distance calls thanks to a nearly foolproof scam.

The practice ultimately could cost consumers thousands of dollars when
future phone rates are set by regulators, officials said.

Word of the ease with which inmates can make free phone calls has
spread quickly.  The result?  Long waiting lines at some prison pay
phones.

"It's really a big problem," said Connie Henslee, telecommunications
coordinator for the Corrections Department.  "It's driving the phone
company nuts because it's costing them a lot of money."

Although the phone company doesn't know exactly how much the fraud
costs, officials estimate one-third of the tool calls that go
uncollected in the state can be traced back to prison inmates.

Here's how inmates and corrections officials describe the scam:

An inmate makes a collect call to a friend whose phone has a three-way
calling feature.  The friend then pushes a button on the phone and
dials the phone company, with the prisoner still on the line.

When the phone company comes on the line, the customer is slient as
the inmate orders a new phone under a phony name.

"We have no way of knowing it's an inmate who has called collect,"
Michigan Bell spokesman Dean Hovey said.

Dan Bolden, deputy corrections director, said he doesn't know how big
the problem is, but said even state officials in Lansing offices get
calls from inmates using the scam.

"It's a constant battle to keep up with those folks," Bolden said.
"I've seen a prisoner run up $1,000 phone bills."

Spencer W. Thomas 		HSITN, U of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109
spencer@med.umich.edu		313-747-2778 (8-6 E[SD]T M-F)

[Moderator's Note: I suspect they are ordering new service at the
address of a confederate on the outside. Then they call collect to
'their' new number; the confederate okays the charges and dials out
calls for them to wherever they really want to call. Then when the
service gets cut for non-payment, so be it ... order new service!  But
whatever happened to requiring a deposit and pulling a credit bureau
file on the subscriber-applicant?   Any other theories?    PAT]

0004133373@mcimail.com (Donald E. Kimberlin) (06/27/91)

reports a scam conducted by Michican prisoners ordering a new account
with the aid of an acomplice who connects them to the common carrier's
business office via three-way-calling:

> When the phone company comes on the line, the customer is slient as
> the inmate orders a new phone under a phony name.

   Our Moderator opines:

> [Moderator's Note: I suspect they are ordering new service at the
> address of a confederate on the outside. Tten they call collect
> to 'their' new number; the confederate okays the charges and dials out
> calls for them to wherever they really want to call. Then when the
> service gets cut for non-payment, so be it ...

   That sounds too elegant and complex to Certainly, the LEC would
soon tag any local address that has had several bad accounts!

        Rather, I suspect the "new service" is more likely to me a
calling card account opened with some of those fine, upstanding
telemarketers we so often hear about peddling long distance accounts.
After all, there's a fertile field of several hundred of them to work,
and they are so anxious for accounts their credit checking is minimal,
if at all for most of them.

Colin Plumb <colin@array.uucp> (06/28/91)

In article <telecom11.491.3@eecs.nwu.edu> spencer@med.umich.edu
(Spencer W. Thomas) writes:

> An inmate makes a collect call to a friend whose phone has a three-way
> calling feature.  The friend then pushes a button on the phone and
> dials the phone company, with the prisoner still on the line.

> When the phone company comes on the line, the customer is slient as
> the inmate orders a new phone under a phony name.

> "We have no way of knowing it's an inmate who has called collect,"
> Michigan Bell spokesman Dean Hovey said.

I think that what's happening is that the business office is saying
"yes, we'll pay" to the operator asking who'll accept the charges, and
somehow the call gets charged to them.  The prisoner makes a phony
business transaction (ordering service to a bogus name), and the
business office hangs up.  They are now talking to their friend, and
the business office is paying.

Colin

smp@uwm.edu> (06/28/91)

In <telecom11.491.3@eecs.nwu.edu> spencer@med.umich.edu (Spencer W.
Thomas) writes:

> When the phone company comes on the line, the customer is slient as
> the inmate orders a new phone under a phony name.

I tend to agree with the Moderator on this one. I know that when I
recently moved to Milwaukee, I was asked just about everything about
my life history that I can remember in order to get phone service.  :-)

I even had to send in a $40 deposit prior to placement of the order.
This was BEFORE they would complete the order processing, not before
they would turn on the phone.

What a world, what a world.

Fido: 1:154/600  |  myamiga!smp@fps.mcw.edu |  rutgers!uwm!fps!myamiga!smp