[comp.dcom.telecom] Telescam: Be Careful Who You Send Checks To

Patricia A Dunkin <pad@groucho.att.com> (06/27/91)

The guy in AT&T Corporate Security to whom I reported the following
said that it sounds like a variant on a recent popular sort of fraud,
where the nasties get your checking account number and put through a
bank draft for more of your money than you planned to give them.

Yesterday at work I got a call from a computer that claimed to be "The
Award Notification Center" (no other identification) and telling me to
call 312-733-7000 between 9AM and 9PM Eastern within 24 hours to claim
my "award."  The recording also gave me a claim number, B44.

Knowing it *had* to be bogus, I decided to check it out.  (Good for
laughs, anyway.)  A human answered and gave me her first name (still
no identification of the company) and then started to ask me for my
name.  When I tried to get her to tell me what company she was working
for, she began to sound defensive, repeating *identical* words several
times -- she must have been reading from the script for handling-callers-
who-ask-too-many-questions -- then put me on hold, came back,
(obviously) read off another script describing the trip for two to
Hawaii that was my "award," told me to call 312-988-8191 to claim it,
said "Aloha," and hung up before I could say another word.

The second number was answered by a recording that told me roughly the
same thing the human did concerning the trip I had "won" to Hawaii,
instructed me to send a self-addressed stamped envelope and a check
for $12.95 to a Chicago address, and assured me that the travel office
fees would not exceed one Y-class fare to Hawaii.  That must have been
the punch line.

It seemed likely that AT&T Security would be interested -- after all,
I did get the call at work, and sleazy telemarketers don't make
carriers look good.  The security person I spoke with was friendly and
helpful, and explained as mentioned above that getting hold of
checking account numbers for unauthorized purpo$e$ might be the real
goal of all this.  He also said that the IRS and other legal
authorities are interested in this sort of nonsense and promised to
pass the information on to them.

Oh, and they never did ask for the claim number -- if someone else
wants to use it, I wouldn't object. :-)

Pat Dunkin (pad@groucho.att.com)

[Moderator's Note: Well here we go again, dear readers! This
organization pops up from time to time, as readers of the 'Randy
message' will recall.  This time around, no further investigation is
needed. We know *all about* this bunch, don't we!  :)  In case you are
interested, I've heard nothig further from Randy in recent weeks.  PAT]

David Schanen <mtv@milton.u.washington.edu> (06/28/91)

In article <telecom11.494.3@eecs.nwu.edu> pad@groucho.att.com
Patricia A Dunkin) writes:

> The second number was answered by a recording that told me roughly the
> same thing the human did concerning the trip I had "won" to Hawaii,
> instructed me to send a self-addressed stamped envelope and a check
> for $12.95 to a Chicago address, and assured me that the travel office
> fees would not exceed one Y-class fare to Hawaii.  That must have been
> the punch line.

   There are actually legal businesses doing this sort of thing.  They
get enough people to send them $12.95 and it adds up.  The prizes
(Hawaii vacations etc) often combinations of coupons, hotel
accomodations, free film and developing, portraits, or other
promotional material, mostly things you could find in magazines if you
looked hard enough.

   I rememer a place like this in Denver that would call you and get
you to answer a trivia question.  If you got it right (two out of
three chance:) you win a choice between Las Vegas or Hawaii! (Hotel
accomodations only - transportation not included.) If you got it
wrong, you get another guess, congratulations you win!  Then you get a
package of coupons, free portraits, etc ... delivered _to your door_
for a small promotional fee of $29.95.

   Ahh well ... shady but legal.  I'm sure a *few* people even got
there monies worth.

   Cheers!

Dave
Inet: mtv@milton.u.washington.edu  * 8kyu *  UUNET: ...uunet!uw-beaver!u!mtv

gavron@uunet.uu.net> (06/29/91)

(Patricia A Dunkin) writes:

> Yesterday at work I got a call from a computer that claimed to be "The
> Award Notification Center" (no other identification) and telling me to
> call 312-733-7000 between 9AM and 9PM Eastern within 24 hours to claim
> my "award."  The recording also gave me a claim number, B44.

> Oh, and they never did ask for the claim number -- if someone else
> wants to use it, I wouldn't object. :-)

I sure decided to (what the heck, work was slow on a Friday...)
The young lady who answered informed me I had won one of:

		A 32" Sony color TV
		$2000 in cash
		Two airline tickets to Jamaica
		$1000 US Savings bond.

My bonus prize (guess what, I won a bonus ;-) was seven days in Orlando
Florida!  (WHAT? in the middle of the summer??? I enjoy arid Arizona,
thanks ;-)

The company was identified as ACS - American Consumer Services,
claiming to offer discounts on consumer purchases.  Their yearly fee
is $199.  They *did* ask me "do you have a checking account" and
enjoyed the "yes" answer.  They say this promo is part of their
membership drive.

I have no idea which one of those prizes is worth the $199 but I
suspect since "you'll get the membership material in 21-24 working
days, and your prize in 30-31 working days" that by that time they
would no longer exist.

Ehud Gavron     (EG76)   gavron@vesta.sunquest.com

[Moderator's Note: We covered this organization in detail a couple
months ago, as Randy Borow will no doubt recall ... :) And who is
Randy Borow you ask?  ... Yes, I've had several inquiries in the mail
in the past few days since the reference to 'the Randy Message'
appeared here. Our mailing list is growing by leaps and bounds, and it
is now dawning on me that at least a couple dozen of you were not here
when Randy's now infamous gaff appeared in these columns.  We had run
a message from John Higdon discussing the Chicago telemarketing scam
and some of us contributed what we knew. Randy Borow, then an employee
of AT&T used his ability as an employee to pull records on this
company and send them in a message to the Digest.  His message made
for fascinating reading, but angered his superiors at AT&T who fired
him as a result of his revealing confidential customer information.  PAT]