[comp.dcom.telecom] Country Direct Numbers

@harvard.harvard.edu (John R. Levine) (05/03/89)

There has been some mention here of AT&T's "USA Direct" service, which provides
direct-dial, usually toll-free, numbers in foreign countries that connect you
to an English-speaking AT&T operator in the U.S. who completes your call.  MCI
has something similar.  You can use your calling card or else call collect.

I found a little booklet in a hotel room over the weekend that has a
surprisingly long list of numbers that work the other way. Here they are.
Before you call them, consider that if you call Korea Direct's number, you
will in all likelihood get an operator who speaks only Korean, and who can
only complete calls to Korea.

Australia	800-682-2878
Korea		800-822-8256
Netherlands	800-432-0031
Singapore	800-822-6588
United Kingdom	800-445-5667
France		800-537-2623
West Germany	800-292-0049
Italy		800-543-7662
Panama		800-872-6106
Hong Kong	800-992-2323
Japan		800-543-0051

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@ima.isc.com

covert@covert.enet.dec.com (John R. Covert 05-Sep-1989 2128) (09/06/89)

 [This message, and the one that follows, were forwarded to the Digest
  by John Covert, who received them from the parties named at NPR.  PT]

 From:   John Keator, National Public Radio
 Date:   5 Sept 89
 To:     Telecom Digest
 Re:     Country Direct Numbers

In researching the availability of the reverse of USA Direct numbers for
an upcoming international conference we are co-hosting I received the
following list from AT&T.  Most of these numbers are for collect calls
only as many do not have calling cards.  Denmark has the additional
restriction of only being available from 3PM to 10 PM, (the time zone is
not indicated,); apparently they feel the service only warrants one shift.

ALL NUMBERS ARE 800-

Australia       682-2878
Austria         624-0043
Belgium         N/A
Denmark         762-0045
Finland         232-0358
France          537-2623
FR Germany      292-0049
Hong Kong       992-2323
Italy           543-7662
Japan           543-0051
Korea           882-8256
Netherlands     432-0031
New Zealand     248-0064
Norway          292-0047
Sweden          345-0046
Switzerland     N/A
UK              445-5667

I'm sure there are others, but these are the countries I requested.
There is apparently no single book with all numbers included.  Now, I
wonder what rate is charged for these calls?

John Keator
NPR Washington
202 822 2800

[Note from John Covert:  I called Italy and Germany, both of which accept
collect calls only (no credit cards) and charge as follows:

Italy: 		4721 L ($3.34)/min 6p-7a otherwise 6000 L ($4.25)/min
Germany: 	DM 24 ($12.13) first minute, DM 3.22 ($1.63) ea addl minute]

Bill Huttig <wah@zach.fit.edu> (06/29/91)

I found a booklet from AT&T called "The AT&T STudent Consumer Guide"
published in 1989. On pages 15-16 there is a list of the 800 for
several countries.

  AT&T COuntry Direct SErvices offer internation calling convenience
  from the U.S.  These services are offered through the cooperation
  of AT&T and the overseas telephone companies and allow calls to be
  made directly to a foreign operator, thereby eliminating any language
  barriers. Calls may be billed collect (reverse caharges) and in most
  cases, to the calling card issued in the overseas country.

Calls can be made from all US States execpt Alaska. (why?)

Country			Dial for Access (Numbers are
                        listed with 1 800 in front)

Australia Direct	682-2878
Austria Direct		624-0043
Brazil Directo		344-1055
Danmark Direkte		762-0045
Deutschland Direkt	292-0049
Finland Direct		232-0358
France Direct		537-2623
HK Direct		992-2323
Italy Direct *      	543-7662
Japan Direct 		543-0051
Korea Direct *		822-8256
Nederland Direct	432-0031
Norge Direkte		292-0047
NZ Direct		248-0064
Panama Direct *		872-6106
Singapore Direct * 	822-6588
Sweden Direct		345-0046
Thailand Direct		342-0066
UK Direct *		445-5667

* AT&T oountry Direct calls to these countries cannot be made from
Hawaii. (why?)

[Moderator's Note: I think the thing with Alaska and Hawaii may have
been (may still be?) that AT&T has no presence in those states. Tariff
considerations come into play with the telcos operating in those
states.  PAT]