[comp.dcom.telecom] Highly Remote "Extensions" on Mitel

Jim Hickstein <jxh@icdwest.teradyne.com> (06/26/91)

I have a Mitel Superswitch, and I want to get it to do something
special, and I haven't been able to figure out how to ask it.

Teradyne has a few people at this facility (San Jose), and we make
many calls per day to the home office in Boston, which recently went
to DID (or its modern equivalent).  Finally, I can program my Superset
4 with the fully-qualified phone numbers of the handful of people I
talk to routinely, without having to dial the "main" number and wait
(and pray) and dial an extension.

Now that this is possible, I want to set things up so that I can dial
an "extension" (2xxx or 3xxx) on my phone, and have it somehow prepend
the area code and exchange and hand it to a CO loop.  (It already
buffers the entire number and outdials it, so this should be
possible.)  No way, say the few people I have asked who ought to know.
But I think they probably have a vested interest in not having to take
the trouble to figure it out.  I have no knowledge of the switch
itself, or any apparent access to its features: I have to pay some
moron $100/hour to come and do adds&changes (which I have managed to
avoid doing so far).

Note that this is the INVERSE of the usual "off-premises extension".
Is this possible without spending a lot of money?  Is it possible at
all?

Jim Hickstein, Teradyne/Attain, San Jose CA, (408) 434-0822 FAX -0252
jxh@attain.teradyne.com ...!{decwrl!teda,apple}!attain!jxh

Dave_JOHNSTON%01%SRJC@odie.santarosa.edu (06/27/91)

In Telecom Digest V11 # 493, Jim Hickstein <jxh@icdwest.teradyne.com>
wrote:

> Now that this is possible, I want to set things up so that I can dial
> an "extension" (2xxx or 3xxx) on my phone, and have it somehow prepend
> the area code and exchange and hand it to a CO loop.

> Note that this is the INVERSE of the usual "off-premises extension".
> Is this possible without spending a lot of money?  Is it possible at
> all?

Jim neglected to say whether it was a SX-200 analog or SX-200D type
switch.  On the SX-200D it is relatively easy to do with ARS
(Automatic Route Selection ... ala Least Cost Routing for you non-
Mitel types.)  You can have the 2 or 3 be additional ARS access digits
and then have the routing table handle adding the extra digits.  It's
been a while since I've worked on a 200D, but that's my recollection.

If you have an analog SX-200 or SX-100, then about the only I can
think of would be using system speed dial.  I don't think you could
handle all of the extension that way though.  I think you can only
support 100 or less system speed dials (it depends on memory
configuration).

The only other idea I have would be to install Mitel SMART-1 dialers
on your COs.  You could program the dialer to add the extra digits.
Kind of an expensive way to do it though, especially if you have a few
lines.

Good luck,

Dave Johnston                 Santa Rosa Junior College,  Santa Rosa, CA
Supervisor, Campus Data/Telecom                          +1 707 527-4853

Steve Forrette <forrette@cory.berkeley.edu> (06/29/91)

In article <telecom11.493.4@eecs.nwu.edu> Jim Hickstein writes:

> Now that this is possible, I want to set things up so that I can
> dial an "extension" (2xxx or 3xxx) on my phone, and have it somehow
> prepend the area code and exchange and hand it to a CO loop.  (It
> already buffers the entire number and outdials it, so this should be
> possible.)  No way, say the few people I have asked who ought to know.

> But I think they probably have a vested interest in not having to
> take the trouble to figure it out.  I have no knowledge of the
> switch itself, or any apparent access to its features: I have to pay
> some moron $100/hour to come and do adds and changes (which I have
> managed to avoid doing so far).

I don't know if this would work with your switch and internal
extension numbering plan, but here goes: Set up a local extension
numbered as above, and enable immediate call forwarding to the
external number in Boston.  I've done this sucessfully on a Toshiba
PBX.  Sometimes, when I went out to lunch, I would hit the forward
button, then at the point where you normally enter the extension to
forward, I hit 9 to get an outside line, then my cellphone number.
Anybody dialing my three digit extension from the inside would get me
in my car.  If you have line cards to spare, this may work for you.
Note that once you turn on the forwarding, you don't even need a desk
set.

Steve Forrette, forrette@cory.berkeley.edu