[comp.dcom.telecom] Problems with Meridian 1 and 2400 Baud Modems

Paul Lutt <pwl@tc.fluke.com> (06/25/91)

We upgraded our Northern Telecom PBX last August and have experienced
problems with 2400 baud modem communication ever since.  Our current
configuration is:

    Northern Telecom, Meridian 1
    Option 71, DC Model
    Software 1211, Release 15.57

The main problem is that 2400 baud is almost unusable.  Lots of
suprious characters and noise.  Our users have pretty much given up on
2400 baud and have either retreated back to 1200 baud or gotten
Telebit modems to use with our in-bound Telebit lines.

Note that even Telebit modems in PEP mode are affected.  There are
times when the connection seems to die for 30 seconds or so.  It
appears that the Telebits are retraining during this period.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems?  We are working with the
folks that installed and maintain the equipment (GTE), but we don't
seem to be making any progress in solving the problem.  Thanks in
advance.

Paul Lutt    Domain:	pwl@tc.fluke.COM
Voice:	+1 206 356 5059    UUCP:  uunet!fluke!pwl
Snail:	John Fluke Mfg. Co. / P.O. Box 9090 / Everett, WA 98206-9090

Vance Shipley <vances@xenitec.on.ca> (06/30/91)

In article <telecom11.493.3@eecs.nwu.edu> Paul Lutt <pwl@tc.fluke.com>
writes:

> The main problem is that 2400 baud is almost unusable.  Lots of
> suprious characters and noise.  Our users have pretty much given up on
> 2400 baud and have either retreated back to 1200 baud or gotten
> Telebit modems to use with our in-bound Telebit lines.

This should work perfectly, the Meridian is a "CO quality" switch.

You may be having frame slip problems somewhere.  Can you call
reliably from one extension to the other?  Are you using digital
trunks to the CO?

Vance Shipley     vances@xenitec  vances@ltg  ..uunet!watmath!xenitec!vances