[comp.dcom.telecom] Operator Busy Break-In Now Costs $1.60

Gary W Sanders <gws@cblph.att.com> (06/19/91)

With my Ohio Bell Phone bill I saw an interesting little notice.  This
capability has been around for a long time, but was generaly used for
emergencies.  Now Ohio Bell is encourging people to use the service for
non-emergency calls..

DIAL 0 (OPERATOR) TO INTERRUPT A BUSY LINE ON A LOCAL CALL.

Do you need to talk to someone, and the line is busy?  For a $1.60 per
call, you can ask the Ohio Bell Operator to interrupt a busy line. The
Operator will inform the called party that someone is trying to reach
them. The called party will then have to the option to hand up, freeing
the line for you to make your call to them.

Gary Sanders (N8EMR) AT&T Bell Labs, Columbus Ohio
gws@cblph.att.com 		614-860-5965

[Moderator's Note: But you should be aware that the called party has
the option to NOT break the connection if he so chooses, and you will
still pay the $1.60. The Operator did her work by notifying the party.
Also, if you claim an emergency exists as the reason for the busy
party to break the connection when in fact there is no emergency, then
you are probably guilty of a misdeamenor crime. Likewise if an
energency *does* exist and the called party refuses to yield the line
then he is guilty of a misdemeanor crime.    PAT]

"Peter M. Weiss" <PMW1@psuvm.psu.edu> (06/22/91)

In article <telecom11.474.8@eecs.nwu.edu>, gws@cblph.att.com (Gary W Sanders)
says:

> [Moderator's Note: (deleted)
> The Operator did her work by notifying the party.

Since the caller and the callee are potential chargeable w/ a misde-
meanor crime, I wonder if the Operator misdials and interupts an
in-progress data xfer, if the (s)he can be charged with some crime.
(I'm just trying to get everyone chargeable w/ something and not leave
any one out.)

Pete

res@cis.ohio-state.edu> (06/22/91)

Sanders) writes:

> With my Ohio Bell Phone bill I saw an interesting little notice.  This
> capability has been around for a long time, but was generaly used for
> emergencies.  Now Ohio Bell is encourging people to use the service for
> non-emergency calls..

> DIAL 0 (OPERATOR) TO INTERRUPT A BUSY LINE ON A LOCAL CALL.

> Do you need to talk to someone, and the line is busy?  For a $1.60 per
> call, you can ask the Ohio Bell Operator to interrupt a busy line. The
> Operator will inform the called party that someone is trying to reach
> them. The called party will then have to the option to hand up, freeing
> the line for you to make your call to them.

Suppose the line is being used by a modem.  I wonder what the operator
has been instructed to do in this case.  Does the operator "listen"
first so as not to disturb the modem, or do they arbitrarily drop the
call?  If they don't drop the call, what do they tell the intended
caller?  (Mentioning that a modem is in use is, in my mind, giving
away details about the call in progress.)

Also, suppose I am using my new AT&T-only-otherwise-unbillable calling
card to make the call.  Does the charge get billed through AT&T?

Rob Stampfli, 614-864-9377, res@kd8wk.uucp (osu-cis!kd8wk!res), kd8wk@n8jyv.oh

[Moderator's Note: When the operator is asked to 'verify busy' or
interupt a call, they will first listen on the line only for a second
or two to detirmine the status. A single word or two of conversation
is sufficient. Even that brief intrusion might cause the modem to
receive garbage, but the operator DOES NOT 'drop the call'.  It is up
to the caller and called party to disconnect when they wish to do so.
The operator will merely advise them what a third party has requested.
In the event it is a modem, the operator is unable to give that
advice, and tells the third party that notification is impossible.  PAT]

Dick Rawson <drawson@sagehen.tymnet.com> (06/24/91)

Am I really required to hang up on my current call and accept an
incoming call ... just because the caller claimed to the operator that
there is an emergency?  I had only understood that I was required to
make shared telephone facilities available to someone else who
declared an emergency.

Dick

[Moderator's Note: But the person trying to get through to you would
in effect be sharing your phone line with you.  You are free to do as
you please in a declared emergency, but if *you* are wrong and *they*
choose to make an issue of it, then you lose. What if the person
calling claimed to be a police officer, hospital clerk, etc?  Would
you risk it?  Bear in mind if *they* are just BS'ing around, you've a
perfect right and ethical reason to complain to authorities.  Any
declared emergency should be treated as such until proven otherwise;
then if proven to be deliberatly malicious, dealt with severely.   PAT]

doug@uunet.uu.net> (06/25/91)

> [Moderator's Note: But you should be aware that the called party has
> the option to NOT break the connection if he so chooses, and you will
> still pay the $1.60. The Operator did her work by notifying the party.
> Also, if you claim an emergency exists as the reason for the busy
> party to break the connection when in fact there is no emergency, then
> you are probably guilty of a misdeamenor crime. Likewise if an
> energency *does* exist and the called party refuses to yield the line
> then he is guilty of a misdemeanor crime.    PAT]

Say what? I don't quite understand. I've always {thought,assumed} that
using the "Emergency Break-In" for a non-emergency was a crime of some
sort, but how could you possibly consider not releasing the phone line
a crime? I pay good money for my phone lines, and if I don't want to
listen to an operator claiming there's an emergency, regardless if
there is one or not, then it is my right- after all, I pay for the
line for my use -- not for someone claiming an emergency.

Unfortunately I have been the "butt end" of many prank calls of people
claiming "emergencies." Sometimes it is just someone who wishes to
speak to another member of the family, but I have never enocountered a
ligimate emergency.

I consider it an invasion of privacy also. Every time this happens I
query the operator for information, such as "what number is the person
calling from" and "who is it" (a "John" or "Jane" answer does NOT
suffice).  The operator generally refuses to answer or simply says
"talk to the person and find out." I'm not likely to break a
conversation for someone I don't know. If someone wants to interrupt
my phone call, they'd better be ready to answer any question I might
ask.

Well, enough of my ranting.

Doug Fields -- 100 Midwood Road, Greenwich, CT 06830 --- (FAX) +1 203 661 2996
uucp: uunet!areyes!admiral!doug ------- Thank you areyes/mail and wizkid/news!
Internet: fields-doug@cs.yale.edu --------------- (Voice@Home) +1 203 661 2967
BBS: (HST/V32) +1 203 661 1279; (MNP6) -2967; (PEP/V32) -2873; (V32/V42) -0450

[Moderator's Note: What you pay for is the right to use your telephone
in accordance with published tariffs, one or more of which address the
scenario of emergency requests for the use of the line, etc.  And if
someone plays games and abuses you in this way, you are perfectly
within your rights to tear them apart when you answer their call. It
has happened to me, and that is exactly what I do.   PAT]

bud@uunet.uu.net> (06/25/91)

In a responce to an articicle by  colnet!res@cis.ohio-state.edu (Rob
Stampfli) our Moderator Notes:

> [Moderator's Note: When the operator is asked to 'verify busy' or
> interupt a call, they will first listen on the line only for a second
> or two to detirmine the status. A single word or two of conversation
> is sufficient. Even that brief intrusion might cause the modem to
> receive garbage, but the operator DOES NOT 'drop the call'.

In these days of digital switches, digital xmission, and concentrated
operator services, operator monitoring of a call is extremely unlikely
to place any discernible noise on the line. The ones and zeros
representing that VF is simply switched into two gate inputs, instead
of one. Monitoring a PCM signal degrades it not at all.

Bud Couch - ADC/Kentrox    If my employer only knew.   standard BS applies

Gordon D Woods <gdw@gummo.att.com> (06/25/91)

 From article <telecom11.486.5@eecs.nwu.edu>, by drawson@sagehen.
tymnet.com (Dick Rawson):

> Am I really required to hang up on my current call and accept an
> incoming call ... just because the caller claimed to the operator that
> there is an emergency?  I had only understood that I was required to
> make shared telephone facilities available to someone else who
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> declared an emergency.

 From my personal experience, you can complain all you want but Dick
Rawson is right: your connection gets cut off, plain and simple. I was
on a long distance call interrupted for an "emergency". It was a wrong
number! The guy had been calling me for weeks. Now he breaks into my
calls! I called the business office: "Nothing we can do; use Call
Trace if he calls again. Good bye." You really have no choice, either
you refuse all "emergencies" or accept them sight unseen.

Mike Riddle <riddle@hoss.unl.edu> (06/25/91)

In <telecom11.486.5@eecs.nwu.edu> drawson@sagehen.tymnet.com (Dick
Rawson) writes:

> Am I really required to hang up on my current call and accept an
> incoming call ... just because the caller claimed to the operator that
> there is an emergency?

and the Moderator Notes:

> [Moderator's Note: But the person trying to get through to you would
> in effect be sharing your phone line with you.  You are free to do as
> you please in a declared emergency, but if *you* are wrong and *they*
> choose to make an issue of it, then you lose.

There have been a few other discussions along this line.  Patrick is
correct when he asserts that one must, under the tariffs and/or laws
in every state I'm aware of, surrender the line when someone claims
"emergency."

What has been missing so far from the discussion is the flip side of
the same coin.  The same or worse penalties attach for the false
declaration of emergency merely to get access to the telephone.

The utility of this approach was a policy decision by the state
legislators or PUCs involved.  The admitted inconvenience of having to
interrupt your call was viewed as less onerous than the inability to
communicate in an emergency.

Personal observation: I personally have never heard of any litigation
on this.  I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but rather that it is rare
because most people understand and "go along to get along."

            <<<< insert standard disclaimer here >>>>
riddle@hoss.unl.edu                  |  Nebraska Inns of Court
ivgate!inns!postmaster@uunet.uu.net  |  +1 402 593 1192
Sysop of 1:285/27@Fidonet            |  3/12/24/9600/8N1/V.32/V.42bis

[Moderator's Note: But the key here, according to Mr. Covert and a
couple others is if this pertains *only* to party lines, *any*
instance of a 'shared telephone facility', or what.   PAT]

Guy R Berentsen <guy@ihlpf.att.com> (06/26/91)

In article <telecom11.478.6@eecs.nwu.edu>, colnet!res@cis.ohio-state.
edu (Rob Stampfli) writes:

> Suppose the line is being used by a modem.  I wonder what the operator
> has been instructed to do in this case.  Does the operator "listen"
> first so as not to disturb the modem, or do they arbitrarily drop the
> call?  If they don't drop the call, what do they tell the intended
> caller?  (Mentioning that a modem is in use is, in my mind, giving
> away details about the call in progress.)

> [Moderator's Note: When the operator is asked to 'verify busy' or
> interupt a call, they will first listen on the line only for a second
> or two to detirmine the status. A single word or two of conversation

Pat, you correctly described what should happen, but in practice I
have had at least two data calls terminated when an operator attempted
to "busy line verify" my home phone. (I know this is what happened
because in both of the confirmed cases my sister-in-law called from
New York minutes after the call was disconnected.  She told us that
she had called the operator to have the line checked.)

Kevin Boyd <9457boydk@vmsf.csd.mu.edu> (06/30/91)

edu (Rob Stampfli) writes:

> Suppose the line is being used by a modem.  I wonder what the operator
> has been instructed to do in this case.  Does the operator "listen"
> first so as not to disturb the modem, or do they arbitrarily drop the
> call?  If they don't drop the call, what do they tell the intended
> caller? (Mentioning that a modem is in use is, in my mind, giving
> away details about the call in progress.)

> [Moderator's Note: When the operator is asked to 'verify busy' or
> interupt a call, they will first listen on the line only for a second
> or two to detirmine the status. A single word or two of conversation

It should be this simple, but I had another experience:

Several years ago, I was working the studio control board for a LIVE
radio football broadcast over dial-up lines.  About midway through the
first quarter, the operator did an emergency break-in on our line.

It took me almost two minutes to get her off the line, while our
announcers at the other end got more confused and angry.  She simply
didn't understand the concept of live radio over phone lines.  (I
finally had to talk to her supervisor to get the line cleared.)

Apparently the person trying to break in was the control room operator
from the radio station in the booth next to ours.  Their dial-up line
wasn't working, so he got the brilliant idea that he could get ahold
of his announcer team using our line.

I seem to remember that our station General Manager made both the
telco and the other station regret the whole incident the next day.  :-)

I think the incident can probably be chalked up to an inexperienced
operator at the telco.

Regards,

Kevin Boyd     Marquette University
Office of Campus International Programs
Internet:  9457boydk@VMS.CSD.MU.EDU

John G Dobnick <jgd@convex.csd.uwm.edu> (06/30/91)

 From article <telecom11.474.8@eecs.nwu.edu>, by gws@cblph.att.com
(Gary W Sanders):

> Do you need to talk to someone, and the line is busy?  For a $1.60 per
> call, you can ask the Ohio Bell Operator to interrupt a busy line.

 [for non-emergency calls]

This is going to play merry hell with data calls, as I'm sure many
others have mentioned (or will mention).

Does Ohio Bell also supply a feature analogous to "disable call
waiting" to inform the operator that a call is *NOT* interruptible?

John G Dobnick
Computing Services Division @ University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
INTERNET: jgd@uwm.edu   UUCP: uunet!uwm!jgd   ATTnet: (414) 229-5727

John G Dobnick <jgd@convex.csd.uwm.edu> (06/30/91)

> [Moderator's Note: What you pay for is the right to use your telephone
> in accordance with published tariffs, one or more of which address the
> scenario of emergency requests for the use of the line, etc.

Say what?  I fail to understand the reasoning here.  Someone wants to
use *my* phone line for some "emergency purpose" by *calling* me?
This scenario makes no sense whatsoever.

If the person attempting to pester me through the operator really
needs to use *my* phone for an emergency purpose, he better be
standing right next to me so he _can_ use my phone line, in which case
he can speak directly to me.  Otherwise, this is just harrassment.

Maybe things are done differently where you are, Pat -- you are in
Illinois, after all :-) -- but up here in Wisconsin, the phone book
says the following:

"Wisconsin law requires you to yield a party line in an emergency.
That means you must get off the phone to permit others using your line
to report a fire or summon law enforcement agencies, ambulance
service, medical or other aid in any situation where property or human
life ids in danger.  No one can legally claim to need the line for an
emergency when no emergency exists.  The penalty for either offense
may include a fine not to exceed $1,000."

The situation being discussed here does not seem to meet _these_
requirements -- no party line, no one attempting to use _my_ line to
report an emergency.  It seems this "service" is only to allow someone
of little patience who is getting tired of busy signals to push
himself to the "head of the line".  I see it now -- "Ohio Bell: The
Rude Phone Company".  Miss Manners will not be pleased.

So, what am I missing in this discussion?  How does Ohio Bell justify
this "service"?  (Oh, that's right: "We're The Phone Company -- We
don't have to justify _anything_!"  Wasn't that in "The President's
Analyst"?)

> [Moderator's Note: Your telephone book pretty accurately describes an
> 'emergency'.  Examples perhaps you could understand: Your neighbor's
> phone is out of order; they knock on your door and ask you to call the
> Fire Department. You refuse, because your single line is engaged on
> another call. You are at work using the phone and your landlord or
> neighbor calls to say YOUR house caught fire. You are using a pay
> phone on the street corner. There is an autombile accident and one of
> the victoims asks you to get off the phone so they can call the police
> or ambulance.   Good enough examples for you?   PAT]

Only one of them, actually.

1) Neighbor knocks on door.   This does not involve an operator
   busting in to an in-progress call.  (That *is* the topic of
   this thread, after all.)

2) At work -- caller wishes to report (personal) disaster.  _This_
   is a  legitimate reason for the operator to interrupt an in-progress
   call.  This is a generally recognized "emergency" situation.

3) Automobile accident.  Same scenario as (1).

Perhaps the point to be made here is that Ohio Bell is apparently
pushing the "operator interrupt" situation for what are clearly not
*emergency* situations!  It's merely an extended form of "call
waiting", and apparently one that can not be disabled.

John G Dobnick  (JGD2)
Computing Services Division @ University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
INTERNET: jgd@uwm.edu                      ATTnet: (414) 229-5727
UUCP: uunet!uwm!jgd

payne@theory.TC.Cornell.EDU (Andrew Payne) (06/30/91)

In article <telecom11.499.7@eecs.nwu.edu> jgd@convex.csd.uwm.edu
writes:

>> Do you need to talk to someone, and the line is busy?  For a $1.60 per
>> call, you can ask the Ohio Bell Operator to interrupt a busy line.

> This is going to play merry hell with data calls, as I'm sure many
> others have mentioned (or will mention).

The tariff here in NY states the busy/interrupt procedure goes like:

"1.  The operator will determine if the line is clear or in use and report
to the calling party.

"2.  The operator will interrupt a call on the called line only if the calling
party indicates an emergency and requests interruption."

I suspect that (1) is a listen-only for the operator and thus wouldn't
affect your data call (though the operator would get an earful!).

Andrew C. Payne, N8KEI        UUCP:  ...!cornell!batcomputer!payne
                          INTERNET:  payne@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu