[comp.unix] Unix Internals Manual

usenet@mcdchg.UUCP (06/01/87)

	I'm looking for a book that will go into extreme depth on Unix
filesystems and internals.  I have three books now, two give excellent
overviews on the general system, the third provides a lot of valuable
information on minor internals and system security.  What I need is some-
thing that will provide information about:

	a)  directory and inode particulars.

	b)  outline memory maps of system use, i.e, how unix allocates
	    memory space, how it decides where to put programs that are
	    to be executed.

	c)  specifics on how adb can be used for high level debugging,
	    possible file recovery by direct manipulation of directories.

I don't know if this information is collected into one volume or not, or
even if it is published.  Do you have any suggestions?

----darian

[Darian/Andre doesn't give the titles of the three books.  I'd suggest
"The Design of the UNIX Operating System" by Maurice J. Back, ISBN
0-13-201799-7 as comming closest.  For the real details, though, I'm
afraid that the source code will be the only recourse, especially on
how memory is used, as that varies from system to system, even (sometimes)
within a single vendor's offerings.  Any other ideas?  Good book on
debugging techniques?  -mod]

                sdcsvax-\         ihnp4-\
                         \               \
Andre' Hut              sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!nrc-ut!andre
                         /              /        /
                hplabs--/ ucbvax!calma-/        /
				utah-gr!uplherc/
Network Research Corporation
923 Executive Park Dr. Suite C
Salt Lake City, Utah 84117

usenet@mcdchg.UUCP (06/18/87)

I have a similar request, and since I haven't figured out yet how to
post inquiries to this net, only to follow up to existing ones, I am
taking the liberty of riding piggyback on Andre's request.  I would
like your suggestions for three kinds of UNIX books which a vendor could
supply to his customers:  one for the new user, one for the somewhat
more sophisticated user (I put Russ Sage's TRICKS OF THE UNIX MASTERS
in this category), and one for the programmer.

I am, of course, hoping to get hordes of answers all citing the same
three books, which will simplify my task enormously, but since I know
that's impossible, I'll be satisfied with a trendlet.

Please, to avoid inconvenience to Andre from my impertinent co-option
of his message, send us separate replies.

With sincere appreciation for any help you can give me,

Miriam Eldridge
Olivetti Advanced Technology Center
20300 Stevens Creek Blvd.
Cupertino, CA 95014

kjepo@portofix.liu.se (Kjell Post) (06/30/87)

In article <888@mcdchg.UUCP>, oliveb!miriam@ames.arpa (Miriam Eldridge) writes:
> supply to his customers:  one for the new user, one for the somewhat
> more sophisticated user (I put Russ Sage's TRICKS OF THE UNIX MASTERS
> in this category), and one for the programmer.

Aaaah, REVENGE!

1. Don't buy "Tricks of the UNIX masters"!!!
   It's practically worthless, written by someone who obviously wanted
   to make just a few, fast bucks. It's not in the UNIX spirit at all and
   it just makes me mad when I see all the stupid examples. Instead, ...

2. Marc Rochkind "Advanced UNIX programming" is great!
   Now, here's a guy who knows what he is talking about.
   The book covers system calls and contains precise information
   mixed with some amusing incidents.
   I guess it's geared towards system programmers though.

3. Kernighan, Pike "The UNIX programming environment".
   A good introduction to UNIX for both casual users and semi-experts.
   Useful examples, clear writing and handy programs characterize this book.

There are of course other books on the market but it seems that those
written by people affiliated with AT&T really stands out.

				-- Kjell Post
"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from"
Dept of Computer & Info Science  ...liuida!majestix.liu.se!kjepo
Univ of Linkoping, Sweden        (kjepo@majestix.liu.se)

usenet@mcdchg.UUCP (07/16/87)

In article <985@mcdchg.UUCP> kjepo@portofix.liu.se (Kjell Post) writes:
>In article <888@mcdchg.UUCP>, oliveb!miriam@ames.arpa (Miriam Eldridge) writes:
>> supply to his customers:  one for the new user, one for the somewhat
>> more sophisticated user (I put Russ Sage's TRICKS OF THE UNIX MASTERS
>> in this category), and one for the programmer.
>Aaaah, REVENGE!
>1. Don't buy "Tricks of the UNIX masters"!!!
>   It's practically worthless, written by someone who obviously wanted
>   to make just a few, fast bucks. It's not in the UNIX spirit at all and
>   it just makes me mad when I see all the stupid examples. Instead, ...
>
>2. Marc Rochkind "Advanced UNIX programming" is great!
>
>3. Kernighan, Pike "The UNIX programming environment".
>				-- Kjell Post

THough I haven't read "Tricks of the UNIX Masters", I have an idea of
what it's about.  We've all seen books of this type where the author
tries to put a few gimmicks in and sell the book.  I think a good
UNIX book should try to explain the philosophy of UNIX and the function.
Both selections #2 and #3 do just that (#2 being much lower-level).

While I'm on the subject.... When I first started programming in
C some while back, I bought a book called "The C Programmer's Library"
by Jack Purdum.  It seemed pretty good, and the only thing I could
complain about was the style, etc. But later, I needed to write some
routines that dealt with binary trees in C.  I'd done this before
in Pascal (yuk!) but I forgot.  To refresh myself, I consulted Purdum's
book (which had a little about trees in it).  Whoa!  He left out the
most complicated part: that of deleting nodes.

No doubt as a excercise to the user.  When I'm taking a class I want
to do excercises.  When I'm doing a job, I want to see example code.
What I'm getting at is that he showed how to build a tree, and how
to traverse a tree (in 3 ways, even) but left out the part that really
is worth a damn (idiots can figure out how to add and traverse).
Boy, cop-out's like that just make me mad!

MikeP

The company and all my associates and friends and ESPECIALLY the
government put me up to say all this useless trash.
MikeP    {seismo|sdcrdcf}!ism780c!mikep "Some of my best friends are Bigots..."