[comp.unix] Multi-processor UNIX

tikku@ginosko.UUCP (Sanjay Tikku) (04/26/89)

I am trying to do a comparative analysis of different UNIX (and look alikes)
versions and determine which one is the most suitable as a platform for
parallel processing work. I am thinking of either starting with SYSTEM V/BSD
version and changing it suitably for multi-processor work or starting out with
say Mach and then modify it appropriately to suit our needs here.

If anyone has any opinion or comments on this subject it will be really helpful.

I am specifically interested in knowing:

a) Any literature which compares SYSTEM V and BSD versions regarding their
   adaptability for multi-processor work.

b) Any literature on existing multi-processor systems like Mach compared
   to standard UNIX versions.

c) If anyone has strong recommendations based on this kind of work done by
   them.

Thanks in advance

sanjay
================================+=============================================
 Sanjay Tikku			| Voice:	         508-685-7200 ext. 123
 Sr. Software Engineer       	| FAX:                            508-685-4940
 SAMSUNG Software America, Inc. | Internet:               tikku@samsung.com
 Computing Systems Division     | UUCP:                  tikku@ginosko.UUCP
 One Corporate Drive            | CSNET:  samsung.com!tikku@Tektronix.CSNET
 Andover, MA 01810              | BITNET:  samsung.com!tikku@Psuvax1.BITNET
================================+=============================================

oisin@cmtl01.uucp (Oisin) (05/12/89)

in Message-ID: <1073@altos86.UUCP>   From: tikku@ginosko.UUCP

> I am trying to do a comparative analysis of different UNIX (and look alikes)
> versions and determine which one is the most suitable as a platform for
> parallel processing work. I am thinking of either starting with SYSTEM V/BSD

I don't use the system, but I understand QNX may have much of what you
are looking for.  It is a very proprietary system, and I gave up trying
to find out how compatible it is with standard UNIX(tm).

One problem with QNX is that it runs on the Intel platforms only... i.e. XT,
AT, and 80386 boxes.  However, since it implements full distributed processing
and real time operation, you can get a lot of work done on the better PCs.

You can get information from Quantum in Ottawa, Canada.

Oisin "Curly" Curtin -- uucp:uunet!attcan!cmtl01!CN.YIS!oisin
Disclaimer- Opinions are my own.  CNR, AT&T and my wife don't want them.
Good judgement comes from experience... experience comes from bad judgement.

hynes@dg-rtp.dg.com (Ed Hynes) (06/12/89)

Take a look at DG/UX.  It's (the only?) symatrical multi-processor
and currently runs on two multi-processor architectures, our
proprietary MV processor, and Motorolas' 88000 RISC processor.
We're Sys V Verification Suite compliant, and committed to:
SVID, BCS, OCS, POSIX, X, PEX (and probably some i don't know :-)
It has many BSD extensions as well.  Source licences are available.

---
Edward B. Hynes                | hynes%dg-rtp.dg.com@cs.relay.net
Industry Standard Applications |              hynes@dg-rtp.dg.com
Data General Corporation       |  {backbone}!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!hynes
62 T.W. Alexander Dr.          |
R.T.P.   NC   27709            | (919) 549-8421  fax 919 541 9313

boykin@encore.com (Joseph Boykin) (07/07/89)

In article <1212@altos86.UUCP> uunet!tps1.dg.com!dg-rtp!hynes (Ed Hynes) writes:

>Take a look at DG/UX.  It's (the only?) symatrical multi-processor
			      ^^^^^^^^^
I keep hearing folks from DG telling about their UNIX kernel, but I
this posting I just *had* to respond to... No, DG's symmetrical
multi-processor (both CPUS! (I know you're planning on 4, and maybe
even 8)) is not even close to the only one available.  Encore has been
shipping symmetric shared memory multiprocessors (2 CPU minimum, 20
max; although the architecture supports 40).  Our current product line
is based on the National Semiconductor 32XXX series (NS32532 @ 30Mhz is
~ 8.5 MIPS).  We're currently designing a Motorola 88K board (40
CPU's/system).  We also have a DARPA funded contract to produce a 1,000
MIPS system, which will be based on multiple Multimax boxes using a
total of 128 CPU's (again, all of these are symmetric shared memory
multiprocessors).

The following companies make multi-processor computers.  Those with an
asterisk (*) are symmetric multi-processors (the others may be, but I'm
not sure).  In alphabetical order:

    [Moderators Note:-  You should add Altos to that list.  They have a
     fully symmetrical multiprocessor 386 machine running 5.3.1
						- Der]

	* Alliant (FX1/4/8/40/80)
	Amdahl (5890, 5990)
	Apollo (DN10000)
	* Ardent (Titan)
	Concurrent Computer (aka Masscomp) (Various models)
	Convex (C100, C200, C300)
	Cray (XMP, YMP)
	* DEC (3500, 6200, 6300, 8800)
	Edge (1000, 2000)
	Elxsi (6400)
	* Encore (Multimax)
	Flexible (Various)
	Floating Point (M64-60)
	IBM (3090 series)
	* Pyramid (Series 9000
	* Sequent (Balance & Symmetry)
	Silicon Graphics (4D/200)
	Solbourne (?)
	* Stellar (GS1000)
----

Joe Boykin
Encore Computer Corp
Vice-Chair, IEEE Computer Societies'
    Technical Activities Board

Internet: boykin@encore.com
UUCP: encore!boykin

davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (William Davidsen) (07/12/89)

  I think that Zenith has a multiprocessor 386 running a version of
Xenix/386 or SCO3.2 which was shown at a show and should be shipping
soon. I Havn't seen anything but the articles in the papers, anyone have
more info?
	bill davidsen		(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen

dworkin@Solbourne.COM (Dieter Muller) (07/12/89)

In article <3481@altos86.Altos.COM> apple!ames!EDDIE.MIT.EDU!encore!calliope!boykin (Joseph Boykin) writes:
>The following companies make multi-processor computers.  Those with an
>asterisk (*) are symmetric multi-processors (the others may be, but I'm
>not sure).  In alphabetical order:
>	Solbourne (?)

'Fraid we aren't symmetric (yet).  It's one master, N slaves.

Dieter
--
Welcome to the island.  You are number six.
boulder!stan!dworkin