[comp.unix] Networking Help

shikhar@nynexst.com (Shikhar Bajaj) (08/01/89)

Hello all,

	We are planning to network our Macs to our Unix system over
ethernet.  The system consists of a wide variety of Sun products including Sun 3's, Sun 4's, etc.  One possibility which we are looking into is to stick
ethernet cards into our Macs, hook them up to the ethernet backbone, and
then use some appropriate networking software (such as uShare by IPT).
Another possibility is that we will attach our Macs by localtalk and then
connect this lan to ethernet by a bridge (i.e. Cayman's Gatorbox).  In regard
to both of these options, I have several questions.

1)  In regard to the bridge option, we are seriously considering using Cap
    as our networking software along with a Kinetics Fastpath ethernet
    bridge.  The documentation that we have on Cap states that such a
    bridge is necessary.  But, we are unsure whether the bridge is just needed
    to make the physical connection or whether it translates between the two
    protocols.  In other words, can we use Cap if we simply put in the
    ethernet cards into our Macs?

2)  We would like to get some opinions (hopefully unbiased) about the relative
    value of the Kinetics Fastpath vs. Cayman's Gatorbox.  We have heard that
    there are some software problems with the Gatorbox, among other things
    it seems to run out of memory fairly often.  In regards to the
    Kinetics bridge, someone in our department had bad experiences with one
    of Kinetics' earlier models.  The bridge crashed every couple of
    hours for no reason.  Though I acknowledge that nothing perfect exists,
    how would you rate both of these boxes?

3)  To the best of our knowledge, Cap only comes with a file server and a
    printer spooler.  If this is the case, can anyone recommend any support
    utilities (i.e. mail applications, virtual disk applications, etc.) that
    would run under either or both of our possible configurations?

4)  As yet another alternative, we are also thinking about putting in the
    ethernet cards and then running TOPS on the ethernet backbone.  Does anyone
    have any knowledge and/or comments about such a configuration?

I apologize if any or all of these questions have been asked before but I
do not read the news very often.  I would deeply appreciate it if a
knowledgable (and compassionate) guru would enlighten me.  In particular,
any further information about Cap would be most useful. Please e-mail any

			Shikhar Bajaj
			internet: shikhar@nynexst.com
--
Shikhar Bajaj, NYNEX Science & Technology, 914-683-2162
   500 Westchester Ave 1C11, White Plains, NY 10604

dag@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) (08/13/89)

In <12378@altos86.Altos.COM> hikhar@nynexst.com asked questions regarding
the use of unix machines to service Macintoshes over ethernet.  My mail
to him bounced, so I am posting this.

-------------------------------
Please send me a summary of what you learn.  In particular,

(1) As you mention: is the bridge necessary for CAP?  Or can you plug
    ethernet cards into the macs (or one of the SCSI Ethernet Boxes).

(2) Is TOPS yet available for unix platforms other than SUNs?

(3) CAP was originally written for BSD 4.3.  Has anyone ported it to SysV?

(4) An alternative is Portable Netware from Novell, which will be out late
    this year.  Have you heard anything about this?

(5) I have a number for Information Presentation Technologies (IPT), the
    makers of uShare.  1-818-347-7791.  I haven't called them, as I am not
    ready to proceed yet.

Good luck, and thanks in advance
Dan
----
Daniel A. Graifer			Franklin Capital Investments
uunet!fciva!dag				7900 Westpark Drive, Suite A130
(703)821-3244				McLean, VA  22102

burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Anthony Burzio) (08/26/89)

In article <3418@altos86.Altos.COM>, dag@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) writes:
> (5) I have a number for Information Presentation Technologies (IPT), the
>     makers of uShare.  1-818-347-7791.  I haven't called them, as I am not
>     ready to proceed yet.

I have a beta-release of the IPT software on my HP370 UNIX workstation.  The
speed and reliability of the software is quite good.  I specially like the
ability to print from the UNIX machines to the MAC laser printers.  There
are a few gotchas:  if you are running AlisaShare on a VAX at the same time,
you must be running KSTAR on a Kinetics #4, and the manual sent with the
software should be thrown straight in the trash; call support, they will talk
you through installation straight off.  A new manual is promised, along with
the real release for free when it comes.  The software does what IPT claims,
in an reliable way.

Tony Burzio               * VMS is the problem, not the solution...
Martin Marietta Labs      *
mmlai!burzio@uunet.uu.net *