[comp.unix] Passwd file

bobk@fred.UUCP (Bob Kinne) (08/26/89)

What is the purpose of the following /etc/passwd entry?

::0:0:::    (null login, password, and shell)

Thanks.

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (09/10/89)

In article <3474@altos86.Altos.COM> uunet!ncar.UCAR.EDU!boulder!fred!bobk (Bob Kinne) writes:
: What is the purpose of the following /etc/passwd entry?
:
: ::0:0:::    (null login, password, and shell)

There is no purpose to it, unless some hacker put it in to allow
anyone root access.

Generally, it is created by a bug in the software. Here is a way that
is reputed to create such a line: edit the /etc/passwd file and put a
blank line in it. Then run passwd to change a password.

Your milage may vary.

---
bill@twwells.com

ron@hardees.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (09/10/89)

You put ::0:0:: lines in your password file so that
anyone on the system can do su "" and get a root shell.
Some stupid programs that deal with the password file
make blank lines into those entries.  They should not
be there.  Note, that there is a difference between that
and the similar line with a "+" in it that sun uses for
yellow pages hooking.

-Ron

arnold@mathcs.emory.edu (Arnold D. Robbins {EUCC}) (09/10/89)

In article <3474@altos86.Altos.COM> uunet!ncar.UCAR.EDU!boulder!fred!bobk (Bob Kinne) writes:
>What is the purpose of the following /etc/passwd entry?
>
>::0:0:::    (null login, password, and shell)

This is the result of leaving a blank line in /etc/passwd after editing
it via the vipw program.  It is an incredible security hole and should
be deleted ASAP.
--
Arnold Robbins -- Emory University Computing Center | Laundry increases
DOMAIN: arnold@unix.cc.emory.edu		    | exponentially in the

davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com (Wm E Davidsen Jr) (10/08/89)

In article <3474@altos86.Altos.COM>, bobk@fred.UUCP (Bob Kinne) writes:
|  What is the purpose of the following /etc/passwd entry?
|
|  ::0:0:::    (null login, password, and shell)

  This allows anyone to log in as root by giving a blank usename and no
password. It's a bug, and you should get rid of it as a security hole.
that the world is flat!" - anon

heilpern@BRL.MIL (10/08/89)

In article <3474@altos86.Altos.COM> uunet!ncar.UCAR.EDU!boulder!fred!bobk (Bob Kinne) writes:
>What is the purpose of the following /etc/passwd entry?
>
>::0:0:::    (null login, password, and shell)

There is no good purpose of this line, it is a pretty serious
security flaw. It was caused when 1) a blank line existed in the
passwd file, and then 2) someone ran the passwd (change passwd)
command. Remove this line (or have your adminitrator do it)
immediately, and make sure there is never any blank lines in your
passwd file again.

>Thanks.

You're welcome,
	Mark A. Heilpern
	--M.
	heilpern@brl.mil

jkp@cs.HUT.FI (Jyrki Kuoppala) (10/08/89)

>What is the purpose of the following /etc/passwd entry?
>
>::0:0:::    (null login, password, and shell)

It's a safeguard against bad memory; it lets you get superuser even if
you someday will forget the root password.  It's also useful if you go
for a vacation and there's somebody else administering the machine; if
you use this feature you don't have to tell the root password to that
somebody, he won't need it.

A variation:

+::0:0:::

This is not as good, because it works only on some systems and even
then it doesn't work if the yellow pages is running.

If you want to use this feature and don't want to type all those
colons in (you'll easily type a wrong count of them) just say

echo '' >> /etc/passwd

and change somebody's login password.

Enjoy,

//Jyrki

gak@gakbox.Corp.Sun.COM (Richard Stueven) (10/08/89)

In article <3456@zorba.Tynan.COM> bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) writes:
>In article <3474@altos86.Altos.COM> uunet!ncar.UCAR.EDU!boulder!fred!bobk (Bob Kinne) writes:
>: What is the purpose of the following /etc/passwd entry?
>:
>: ::0:0:::    (null login, password, and shell)
>
>There is no purpose to it, unless some hacker put it in to allow
>anyone root access.
>
>Generally, it is created by a bug in the software.

Unless you're on a Sun, in which case it is a signal to "include the
Yellow Pages password file here".

have fun
gak

Richard Stueven       gak@sun.com       ...!attmail!rstueven
***These opinions belong to Ernie and his little pal Gus.***
              ***He's mad!  Mad, I tell you!***