[comp.unix] QNX upgrading

lauch@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Christopher Lau) (08/26/89)

Hello,

I'm not quite sure where to post this, so I'm posting it to a bunch of
newsgroups..  Please edit the Newsgroups line when replying..

A friend recently moved away and left me his cheepo XT and a large boxful
of software.   Among this stuff was, you guessed it- QNX..   original disks
for version 1.1 dated 1983 and a broken binder and box with around half the
manual left in it..

With what was left of the manual, I got it up and running on the XT, but
that isn't my problem-  I want to run it on my 386 system, but unfortunately
the beast won't boot on the 386..   Here's where I really run into trouble-
I called Quantum Software Systems in Ontario, they said that they can sell
me a new manual for $75.00- good, no problem.  But the problem is that the
serial # for this old version (plain white label with the QNX logo on it)
is on the disk label, and because of my friend's carelessness, I've only got
half a label left on the boot disk.  (my first 2 #'s are 20XXXX) and Quantum
can't update my software to a version that can work on the 386 unless I have
the whole #...

I called my friend, and he doesn't remember the # either..  so my question is:
Is there any way to determine the serial # of the package??  is it is the
manual??  is it encoded into the software so I can read it out??  Can anyone
help me as I would really like to run this on my 386 system??

Thanks in advance...
Christopher Lau
Software Design Engineer
NovAtel Communications Ltd.
Calgary, Alberta

Replies-> If it's interesting, please post it to the newsgroup, otherwise:
	  CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET
	  lauch!vaxa@cpsc.ucalgary.ca

Disclaimer-> If my boss or anyone else reads this, I didn't say it, the
	     computer did!

samc@ntpdvp1.UUCP (Sam Christie) (10/15/89)

In article <3470@altos86.Altos.COM>, lauch@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Christopher Lau)
writes:

> I'm not quite sure where to post this, so I'm posting it to a bunch of
> newsgroups..  Please edit the Newsgroups line when replying..

Well you sure can't post it in comp.qnx !!!

> Is there any way to determine the serial # of the package??  is it is the
> manual??  is it encoded into the software so I can read it out??

I don't think it is stored anywhere on the disks and unless your friend
wrote it in the manual it isn't there either.

> Can anyone help me as I would really like to run this on my 386 system??

Give me a call and I'll help you get it started.

> Replies-> If it's interesting, please post it to the newsgroup, otherwise:
> 	  CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET
> 	  lauch!vaxa@cpsc.ucalgary.ca

I tried email -- no luck.

Good Luck,

Sam Christie                            Standard Disclaimer Applies
Northern Telecom - DMS-10
Research Triangle Park, NC
EMAIL ...!uunet!mcnc!rti!ntpdvp1!samc
919/992-3917