[comp.unix] Help! modifying os to support >14 char filenames

vu0310@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (R. Kym Horsell) (10/10/90)

----- News saved at 7 Sep 90 16:59:25 GMT
In article <1430@engadm2.csd.mot.com> cliff@motcsd.csd.mot.com (cliff.rodriguez) writes:
>We are working on a project to convert our system V based system (ver 3)
>from 14 char file names to something much larger.  Has anyone out there
>done this, or heard it done?  I need to know if this is going to be the
>slow tedious task I think it is.   Any suggestion on how to speed up the
>work or some magic answer would be appreciated... thanks in advance...cliff

Ask DEC -- they upgraded the length of the VAX/VMS filenames some
time back. You better not ask _how_ they did it 'tho; you might
be sick. They didn't (and I am talking as a system programmer about
the time the change was made, things may have been cleaned up
since) make the filename _contiguous_ in the (directory) entry --
there happened to be a bit of space left over at the end and...

In U*X a directory entry is defined in dir.h -- you _may_
redefine the maximum length & recompile. Why have you got only
14-char filenames? Is this _really_ V?

-Kym Horsell