[comp.unix] Wordperfect under unix - opinions?

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (07/14/90)

In article <3596@zorba.Tynan.COM> uunet!maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca!art (Art Mulder) writes:
>Hello all, I manage a Microvax II runing 4.3 BSD unix.  It is rather under
>used, so I am considering getting Wordperfect for it.  I was wondering if
>anyone out there in net land has any experience with wordperfect under UNIX
>that they can share with me.
>  - I understand that 4.2 is the most recent WOrdperfect release for unix.

I have just have my first experience with WP - running 5.0 under SCO Xenix, so
the WP 5 should be out for Unix, if not now, soon.

>My questions:
>  1) how well does it work with different terminals?  ie: most of our
>     terminals do not have function keys, so the WP commands would have to
>     be <Ctrl> key combinations to work for us.

The terminals we are using are DASI terminals.  Dual ports, with a polled
select environment to a Burroughs mini, and the RS232 ports to an ACER 1100
with Digiboards serial ports.  The DASI emulates a Vt100.

Since the original WP on the PC was designed to use 10 (or more) function
keys, in combination with shift, alt, and cntrl to give a minimum of 40
function keys this is the approach that WP uses on these terminals.

On Vt100s you can set the keypad to application mode.   The 9 key becomes
help, and 6 becomes exit.   The PF1 thru PF4 keys are used as lead in sequence
keys to the needed commands.  A sequence might be PF1 - NumKey 4 for example.
Thus all commands, execept help and exit, are two key strokes.  No real
problem since most of the WP commands in the PC require holding the cnt,alt,
or shift and pressing a function key.

>  2) is it horribly slow compared to Wordperfect on the PC?

Can't answer that because I have avoided WP on the PC - but seems to work just
fine in this environment.

>  3) is the command structure similar to that of wordperfect on the PC's?

There was a DOS partition that everyone was using until the Xenix side was
brought up.  The only difference is the using a color monitor in DOS all fancy
stuff, bold, undeline, etc, was done with colors.  On these DASIs the only
things we can do are bold and underline but they appear that way on the
screen. That's the only difference the users saw.

>  4) any personal opinions?

Yup!  I don't like wordprocessors that encode their files.  It makes it a pain
to transport them elsewhere in the Unix environment.  But that doesn't mean
much for a lot of users.

                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

marks%mgse@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Mark Seiffert) (07/14/90)

In article <3596@zorba.Tynan.COM> you write:
>Hello all, I manage a Microvax II runing 4.3 BSD unix.  It is rather under
>used, so I am considering getting Wordperfect for it.  I was wondering if
>anyone out there in net land has any experience with wordperfect under UNIX
>that they can share with me.
>  - I understand that 4.2 is the most recent WOrdperfect release for unix.

We have Unix 5.0 in house now, i go to work tomorrow (or this morning)
to install it. The wp binary is 1.5MB, the first user requires 1.2MB to
run and each additional user requires 512k.

>My questions:
>  1) how well does it work with different terminals?  ie: most of our
>     terminals do not have function keys, so the WP commands would have to
>     be <Ctrl> key combinations to work for us.

<Ctrl> or <Ctrl><Shift> works on one of the terminals we have, the rest
all have F-keys.

>  2) is it horribly slow compared to Wordperfect on the PC?

That depends if you call in on a modem at 300 baud, or on a terminal
at 38.4K baud. Of course, you are not going to be as fast as a PC,
the PC version writes directly to video RAM.

>  3) is the command structure similar to that of wordperfect on the PC's?

Yes, very similiar if the keyboard are like the PC and the terminal
is able to provide the correct key responses back to the Unix system. We
are using Link MC5 terminals (mostly), they have a <Alt> key, but the
terminal does not use it in wyse60 emulation, so WP is not able to use it.
WP50 is supposed to be able to display graphics on Wyse 60 and VT220
terminals.

>  4) any personal opinions?

The install is on Sat., i just have to see graphics on a ASCII terminal.
We have used 4.0 for quite some time, and overall it is a good product
considering the environment it is used to running on.

>thanx for any help you can give!
>Art Mulder, art@maccs.DCSS.mcmaster.ca ( <- best),             art@maccs.uucp,
>            ...neat.ai.toronto.edu!maccs!art       uwocc1gate%"art@maccs.uucp"

---
Mark Seiffert,  Metairie, LA.
uucp:           rex.cs.tulane.edu!mgse!marks or rex!mgse!marks
bitnet:         marks%mgse@REX.CS.TULANE.EDU
internet:       marks%mgse@rex.cs.tulane.edu

lagaipa%moncol@princeton.edu (Joseph La Gaipa) (07/14/90)

I can offer that we at Monmouth College have a license for 100
users on our Administrative Computer which is a DEC 5810 under Ultrix.
We we recently BETA users prior to the production release.
Currently our 5810 is being setup under the DATATEL administrative
software and WP4.2 for wordprocessing.

WP 4.2 is working well.  Currently we only have about 16 users
because it's early in the coversion process but performance is
outstanding.

WP4.2 provides numerous terminal interfaces which fall in three
categories.  Recommended, Supported, and workable but not recommended.
I think anything without function keys would be difficult to use.
I use a PC emulating a VT220 over Ethernet PC/TCP.  This works nice,
however I had to make my own template since two mappings were involved.
Key combinations are however different than the PC combinations that
I am use to on the PC version.  Its a little awkward at first.

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (10/11/90)

In article <3673@zorba.Tynan.COM>, bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) writes:

> I have just have my first experience with WP - running 5.0 under SCO Xenix, so
> the WP 5 should be out for Unix, if not now, soon.

SCO Xenix is the first port. After it, NCR Tower, Sun and 88open BCS will
follow in rapid succession with further ports coming.

> >  2) is it horribly slow compared to Wordperfect on the PC?
>
> Can't answer that because I have avoided WP on the PC - but seems to work just
> fine in this environment.

I use it on a Wyse 185 terminal at 38.4 Kbps off a Xylogics Annex II terminal
server. Its screen updates are not as fast as on a PC (nothing can be --
hosts usually don't have access to the terminal's screen memory), but almost,
and many other things, such as spell checking and searching, are magnitudes
faster than on a PC.

> >  4) any personal opinions?
>
> Yup!  I don't like wordprocessors that encode their files.  It makes it a pain
> to transport them elsewhere in the Unix environment.  But that doesn't mean
> much for a lot of users.

WordPerfect encodes its files in a character-set and machine independent
format so that files can be moved freely between systems without the need
to convert them.

--
Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson@erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@sunet.se
                                |  Perverse mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@encore.com
These opinions reflect my personal views and not those of my employer (ask him).