[comp.unix] Total Novice Seeks Enlightenment on UNIX

rdonnlly@vax1.tcd.ie (11/09/90)

I have just bought an HP QS 16MHz 42Mb 1.44Mb & 1.2Mb, 2Mb RAM.
Is this enough to run UNIX ? If so, what company makes a PC version?
If not, how much extra would I need? Also, is there a newsgroup for
total beginners in UNIX?  If it's not totally obvoius, I'm "fairly"
new to unix.

Thanks in advance,

Rory Donnelly

seg@pbhya.PacBell.COM (S. E. Grove) (11/15/90)

In article <2253@megadon.UUCP> rdonnlly@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>I have just bought an HP QS 16MHz 42Mb 1.44Mb & 1.2Mb, 2Mb RAM.
>Is this enough to run UNIX ? If so, what company makes a PC version?
>If not, how much extra would I need? Also, is there a newsgroup for
>total beginners in UNIX?  If it's not totally obvoius, I'm "fairly"
>new to unix.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Rory Donnelly

You might be interested in the Mark Williams Co.'s "COHERENT".
it is small, and inexpensive. The ads have said $99.00. I can't
vouch for it, but what litle that I've heard sounds good. I don't
know if any gurus have run it through the  hoops yet.

        Stephen Grove  Comm. Tech. ESS Pacific Bell
	seg@pbhya.PacBell.COM
	PacBell.COM!{rtpkh0,rtpkh1}!segrove