[rec.games.video] elite game, a review

pauer@crystal.UUCP (11/28/86)

In article <1699@ihuxy.UUCP>, jmdavis@ihuxy.UUCP (Davis) writes:
> The game is great, hours of fun, WEEKS of fun, I give it a 10
> despite the fact that I have a few negatives to say about it.
> 1.  it is a bit dull being super rich, would be nice to buy
>     a different type of ship.  (However extra suprises await the
>     super rich)
>  etc.
>
> 			Mike Davis
> 			ihnp4!ihuxy!jmdavis

  I would also add that the save game option doesn't work (at least on the
  c-64).  Specifically, I am not able to save/replace an old captain name.
  When saving, I have to use a different name than any on the save disk,
  otherwise when I restart, it is obvious the last save did not take effect.
     This is not too frustrating except that i cannot get above the first
  level in the game because it assumes I am a different player each time.

  If I am doing something wrong, maybe someone could clue me in.

staiger@ncrcae.UUCP (Kurt Staiger) (11/30/86)

In article <1699@ihuxy.UUCP> jmdavis@ihuxy.UUCP (Davis) writes:
>Since the buying season is upon us I thought I would write of my
>opinions on a few computer games.  Below is a review of ELITE.
>

>Elite from FireBird software in England is a space adventure game
>of the highest quality.  Saying that it is an adventure game is

etc....

>    super rich)
>2.  there is not enough variation between the galaxies, (perhaps this
>    is a bit hasty I have only been to three of them.)
>3.  the manual suggests asteroid mining or piracy as alternatives
>    to trading, but I find that trading (being a bit dull after
>    intensive play) is MUCH more profitable than the other methods.

>			Mike Davis
>			ihnp4!ihuxy!jmdavis

I totally agree with Mike's review.  This is one game where I felt I really
got my money's worth.  However, I would add one more thing this is not a game
for the impatient.  It has been my experience that I loose more ships trying
to manually dock than I do to pirates.  Fighting is considerably easier to
trying to line up perfectly on the station axis, avoid the outgoing shuttles,
and then match your spacecrafts rotation to the entry tunnel with nothing
visual to guide you.

Kurt Staiger