[net.news.group] net.columbia --> net.challenger

fisher@star.DEC (Burns Fisher ZKO1-1/D42 DTN 381-1466) (01/31/86)

I support changing the name of net.columbia to net.challenger as a small
memorial to our lost colleagues.

Burns

...decwrl!rhea!star!fisher

steve@bambi.UUCP (Steve Miller) (01/31/86)

>>> else, I now suggest that this newsgroup be renamed net.challenger
>>  add a second vote here
> ...and a third here.

I also feel a deep regret over this loss.  My father was a test
pilot, and knows the same feeling better than most of us.  He
taught me to "learn from your mistakes; don't dwell on them."
The best tribute we can pay to the memory of the Challenger
crew is to perpetuate their own forward thinking.

One vote against.

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (01/31/86)

While the sentiments behind this suggestion are admirable, I don't
feel that such a name change is appropriate.  If *any* change is
appropriate, it would be to change net.columbia to a name that
accurately describes the contents of the group, rather than another
name chosen for what would be (sincere) emotional reasons.

We shouldn't be naming our "database" categories based on other
than genuine content, regardless of the natural temptation to make
emotional linkages.  There are many more appropriate ways for
us to express our feelings about such events to the parties involved.

--Lauren--

smith@ethos.UUCP (Gary J. Smith) (02/02/86)

In article <877@vortex.UUCP>, lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) writes:

> While the sentiments behind this suggestion are admirable, I don't
> feel that such a name change is appropriate.  If *any* change is
> appropriate, it would be to change net.columbia to a name that
> accurately describes the contents of the group, rather than another
> name chosen for what would be (sincere) emotional reasons.
>
> We shouldn't be naming our "database" categories based on other
> than genuine content, regardless of the natural temptation to make
> emotional linkages.  There are many more appropriate ways for
> us to express our feelings about such events to the parties involved.

To dwell on tragedies is to be bound by them.  Forward thinking
is the hallmark of the space program: I vote against the name
change.

Gary J. Smith @ ETHOS, Durham, North Carolina
uucp: {ihnp4,decvax}!mcnc!rti-sel!ethos!smith
usm:  707 Ninth Street #13, Durham, NC  27705
voice: 919-286-7055  bbs: 919-286-3573

laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) (02/02/86)

Another vote against.
--
Laura Creighton
ihnp4!hoptoad!laura

djl@fisher.UUCP (Dan Levin) (02/03/86)

> To dwell on tragedies is to be bound by them.  Forward thinking
> is the hallmark of the space program: I vote against the name
> change.

I agree, the best we can do in their memory is to continue the space
program, even more vigorously than before.  One vote against.

			***dan

{allegra,astrovax,princeton}!fisher!djl
The misplaced (That car sure is rusty!) Californian
--
			***dan

{allegra,astrovax,princeton}!fisher!djl
The misplaced (That car sure is rusty!) Californian

mom@sfmag.UUCP (M.Modig) (02/03/86)

A nice gesture, but I think we shouldn't dwell on our failures.  I
think time and effort is better spent making sure Congress knows we
want the space program to go on.  I'd support a name change to
net.space.shuttle, but I don't see how net.challenger will gain us
anything.

One vote against.

Mark Modig
ihnp4!sfmag!mom

rich@rexago1.UUCP (K. Richard ) (02/04/86)

Why won't rn accept a null message?

adelem@tekecs.UUCP (Adele Mangiapane) (02/05/86)

I too feel the loss.  But please don't rename the newsgroup.
If anything, rename it net.shuttle or net.space.shuttle.

John Quarterman is right. To keep the dream alive, write your
congressman.

To Laura Creighton, Gary Smith, Lauren Weinstein, David Kurtiak,
Brian Reid, John Quarterman, and others that wrote:
We can look forward without forgetting.  We can achieve more than
just renaming a newsgroup.  Renaming a newsgroup trivializes the
loss.

No flames please.  Just cast your vote.