[rec.games.video] Atari and the Everyday Person

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (03/06/90)

I was riding home from work last night on the subway in San Francisco.
My commute home is pretty long, and so I play video games on my Lynx
to pass the time.

On the subway, a couple across the aisle from me noticed that I was
playing with some sort of game they'd never seen before.  When they
leaned over to look at it, I offered to show it to them.  The male
member of the couple asked me how much the Lynx cost versus the
GameBoy, and remarked about the color and better graphics.

The woman said to me, "Does Atari make that?  I thought they went out
of businesss!"  To which I replied, "No, they're still around."

Sounds like Atari could stand to do a bit of advertising for itself,
let alone its products.

				--M
--
__
\/ Michael Portuesi / Silicon Graphics, Inc. / portuesi@sgi.com

reiser@pmafire.UUCP (Steve Reiser) (03/09/90)

(Michael Portuesi) writes:
>I was riding home from work last night on the subway in San Francisco.
>My commute home is pretty long, and so I play video games on my Lynx
>to pass the time.
>The woman said to me, "Does Atari make that?  I thought they went out
>of businesss!"  To which I replied, "No, they're still around."

Amazing! Just last month I was reading that the Lynx was still a year
away from marketing. This was in a February issue of a video games
magazine. So apparently the publishers aren't even aware of what Atari
is doing. I was surprised myself as I read this article, to read that
someone was actually using a Lynx. When did it get on the market? How
much does it cost? How many games are available?

I sure hope an embarassed Atari Advertising Manager gets a hold of this
(are they trying to keep Lynx a secret like the A-bomb in WWII).

Steve

--
Steve Reiser (reiser@pmafire.UUCP or ...!uunet!pmafire!reiser)
*           ACROMANIACS ANONYMOUS: FIGHT GRAVITY --> CLIMB!            *

kjetilho@ifi.uio.no (Kjetil Torgrim Homme) (03/09/90)

Steve Reiser writes:

> Amazing! Just last month I was reading that the Lynx was still a year
> away from marketing. This was in a February issue of a video games
> magazine. So apparently the publishers aren't even aware of what Atari
> is doing. I was surprised myself as I read this article, to read that
> someone was actually using a Lynx. When did it get on the market? How
> much does it cost? How many games are available?

I think I read in Popular Computing Weekly that 100,000 (!) Lynxes were
sold in the USA during the Christmas rush, leaving all sources dry.
Atari were careful not to advertise too much, as they knew that they
could not keep up with the demand, and that would just damage their
image...

Now, this is what I *seem* to remember, and it may all be utter rubbish.

Popular Computing Weekly, btw, is an English magazine.

   ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
  //  Kjetil T. Homme  // "I always read between the lies" //
 //  Norway           // (Goodman Ace)                    //
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

rjd@cs.brown.edu (Rob Demillo) (03/09/90)

In article <2702@ifi.uio.no> kjetilho@ifi.uio.no (Kjetil Torgrim Homme) writes:
>Steve Reiser writes:
>
>I think I read in Popular Computing Weekly that 100,000 (!) Lynxes were
>sold in the USA during the Christmas rush, leaving all sources dry.
>Atari were careful not to advertise too much, as they knew that they
>could not keep up with the demand, and that would just damage their
>image...
>
>Now, this is what I *seem* to remember, and it may all be utter rubbish.

The Jan-Feb issue of "Current Notes" (an *excellent* rag put out by
- I believe - a consortium of Atari user groups) has a pretty decent,
realistic article on the Lynx-vs.-GameBoy fiasco. The figure used
in that issue was closer to 70,000 Lynxs sold.

You know, I picked up my first copy of Current Notes a few
months back, not expecting too much because it had that "put out
by a user group" look to it. You know: desktop published, black and
white from cover to cover, etc...

I have to say, it was one of the best researched, best written, most
*honest* Atari specific magazines I have ever read. Product reviews
were honest - none of this "everything on the Atari is perfect"
attitude...the editorials were realistic - analysis of Atari US's
marketing was right on target...the articles were well researched -
no "well, gosh, we've seen pictures of the TT, so it must be almost done"
stuff...

Hats off to the Current Notes people...

 - Rob DeMillo			| Internet: rjd@brown.cs.edu
   Brown University 		| BITnet: DEMILLO%BRNPSG.SPAN@STAR.STANFORD.EDU
   Planetary Science Group	| Reality: 401-273-0804 (home)
"I say you *are* the Messiah, Lord! And I ought to know, I've followed a few!"

daryl@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (daryl.l.monge) (03/10/90)

Kjetil Torgrim Homme writes:
>Steve Reiser writes:
>> Amazing! Just last month I was reading that the Lynx was still a year
>> away from marketing.
>I think I read in Popular Computing Weekly that 100,000 (!) Lynxes were
>sold in the USA during the Christmas rush, leaving all sources dry.

I bought one March 3rd here in Chicago, Il, U.S.  A very nice machine.
The graphics are very good for the display.  It is very crisp.

My dealer did not have any add-on games left.  He had apparently assumed
that each purchaser would have different tastes and only get several
add-on games.  In fact the first buyers bought one of everything.  I
guess I will have to wait for new shipments.

Check it out.  They are great fun.  (Also great baby-sitters for longer
car trips :-)
--
Daryl Monge			AT&T Bell Labs
UUCP: att!ihuxy!daryl		VOICE: 708-713-4696

watters@lily.cis.ohio-state.edu (david r watters) (03/10/90)

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in the Gametoy vs. Lynx battle is the fact
that Atari is an American company, and there is a severe trade imbalance
between our country and Japan.  I personaly feel that Nintendo has used some
rather questionable marketing technics that are boarderline monopolous.
Friends and family have been to Japan, and they all remark about the lack of
American products on any shelves.  Now before all you send me mail reminding
me that I have a GameBoy, it was a gift.

I am certaily not an economist, I would not like to start an argument about
exact figures, I just felt it should be brought up because I find it alarming
that a large number of people are cheering for a foreign company to beat the
pants of a company that 90% used to love, with the existing imbalance.