[rec.games.hack] MacHack

mouse@mcgill-vision.UUCP (02/02/87)

> Subject: Re: Mac HACK status (you asked for it...)

Oh my.... MacHack?  You mean it plays chess too?  Can I bet on the
outcome of the game?  Do we have not only shops but also chess clubs?

					der Mouse

USA: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,utzoo,etc}!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
     think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse
Europe: mcvax!decvax!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
ARPAnet: think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse@harvard.harvard.edu

[For those who don't know....MacHack was (is?) a chess-playing program
 running on a pdp-something at MIT back in the good old bad old days...
 I think.]

dee@cca.UUCP (02/07/87)

In article <620@mcgill-vision.UUCP> mouse@mcgill-vision.UUCP (der Mouse) writes:
>> Subject: Re: Mac HACK status (you asked for it...)
>
>Oh my.... MacHack?  You mean it plays chess too?  Can I bet on the
>outcome of the game?  Do we have not only shops but also chess clubs?
>					der Mouse
>[For those who don't know....MacHack was (is?) a chess-playing program
> running on a pdp-something at MIT back in the good old bad old days...
> I think.]

MacHack was the official name under which the Greenblatt Chess Program, which
I worked on, was registered with the US Chess Federation.  It was the first
program to get an official rating and participate in tournaments.  The name
came from Project MAC at MIT.  MAC was held to stand for both "Machine Aided
Cognition" and "Multiple Access Computers" as it did a log of early time
sharing and AI work (at some times the MIT AI Lab was part of Project MAC).
When the name Project MAC became less appropriate, there were proposals to
change it but all polls taken indicated that those there wished to retain the
old name.  Eventually a new director came along who didn't bother to take a
poll and just changed the name to LCS (Laboratory for Computer Science) but
with the compromise the "Formerly Project MAC" would appear on the letterhead
for a year.  This provoked a hack memo about how the 5th floor Men's Room
in the building was being renamed the Lavatory for Computer Science but as
a compromise the toilet paper would, for the next year, be imprinted with
"Formerly the 5th Floor Men's Room".
--
	+1 617-492-8860		Donald E. Eastlake, III
	ARPA: dee@CCA.CCA.COM	usenet:	{cbosg,decvax,linus}!cca!dee

wiedmann@aurora.UUCP (Christian Wiedmann) (08/14/87)

I picked up MacHack off of the net. It's pretty impressive, but now I wish
I'd never played NetHack, cause I'm hooked. It's really depressing to have
to go back to the ancient version. Does anyone out there know if there's an
effort going on to port NetHack to the Mac. It seems to me that it wouldn't
be very hard (well, relatively speaking) given that Lightspeed C has a library
which supports curses. I'd be willing to attempt the port myself as a long-
term project (I wouldn't promise any results). Any information on how to
go about that would be appreciated. I'm a reasonably proficient Mac programmer
and will know Unix pretty well after my OS class next semester (I hope). If
anyone can help, please Email me.
		-Christian
--
net address: wiedmann@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
UUCP: {ihnp4,ucbvax,nike,lll-crg}!ames!aurora!wiedmann

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (08/14/87)

In article <895@aurora.UUCP> wiedmann@aurora.UUCP (Christian Wiedmann) writes:
>I picked up MacHack off of the net. It's pretty impressive, but now I wish
>I'd never played NetHack, cause I'm hooked.

funny, I prefer hack (actually, I prefer rogue 5.3...). Nethack isn't well
balanced yet, and very complex.

>Does anyone out there know if there's an
>effort going on to port NetHack to the Mac. It seems to me that it wouldn't
>be very hard (well, relatively speaking) given that Lightspeed C has a library
>which supports curses.

No, it really doesn't.  It supports some of the precursors of curses exist,
but a good portion of the calls you need to support hack are missing.  LSC
did a good job of implementing them for mackhack, and maybe they'll show up
in a later release.

I've looked at nethack, and I might work on it later, but there are enough
problems in the initial release that it wasn't worth trying to port.  Maybe
after the first set of patches show up....

chuq
Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

We live and learn, but not the wiser grow -- John Pomfret (1667-1703)

czei@osupyr.UUCP (Michael S Czeiszperger) (08/16/87)

In article <895@aurora.UUCP> wiedmann@aurora.UUCP (Christian Wiedmann) writes:
>I picked up MacHack off of the net. It's pretty impressive, but now I wish
>I'd never played NetHack, cause I'm hooked. It's really depressing to have
>to go back to the ancient version. Does anyone out there know if there's an
>effort going on to port NetHack to the Mac. It seems to me that it wouldn't

I too was smitten by nethack, and now find regular hack very boring. To
compensate I took and hour and put the source to nethack on a hard disk
and tried making a Lightspeed C project out of the mess.  It keeps choking
on a bit of code that looks like

#if define(KOPS) && define(I forget)

It was really a waste of time because I'll never get enough time to finish
the job.  The only hope of recouping the effort is finding out why
it bombed on the above line......

Michael S. Czeiszperger           | Disclaimer: "Sorry, I'm all out of pith"
Sound Synthesis Studios           | Snail: Room 406 Baker     Phone: (614)
College of the Arts Computer Lab  |        1971 Neil Avenue            292-
The Ohio State University         |        Columbus, OH 43210           0895
UUCP : {decvax,ucbvax}!cbosgd!osupyr!czei

richard@islenet.UUCP (Richard Foulk) (08/16/87)

> >Does anyone out there know if there's an
> >effort going on to port NetHack to the Mac. It seems to me that it wouldn't
> >be very hard (well, relatively speaking) given that Lightspeed C has a library
> >which supports curses.
>
> No, it really doesn't.  It supports some of the precursors of curses exist,
> but a good portion of the calls you need to support hack are missing.  LSC
> did a good job of implementing them for mackhack, and maybe they'll show up
> in a later release.

I don't have a Macintosh, but it would seem to make sense for someone
to take the time to port one of the public domain curses packages
to the Mac first.

Then you could much more easily port other unix-based games to it too.

--
Richard Foulk		...{dual,vortex,ihnp4}!islenet!richard
Honolulu, Hawaii

jockc@killer.UUCP (Jock Cooper) (08/19/87)

In article <110@osupyr.UUCP>, czei@osupyr.UUCP (Michael S Czeiszperger) writes:

> and tried making a Lightspeed C project out of the mess.  It keeps choking
> on a bit of code that looks like
>
> #if define(KOPS) && define(I forget)

I encountered this problem trying to compile w/ Lattice C 3.2, which doesn't
support the new ANSI " #if defined(ID) " pp command.  I went through and
changed all (about 5 or 6 I think) the occurances of :

#if defined(FOO) && defined(BAR)
		.
		.
	code, etc.
		.
#endif

to:

#ifdef FOO
# ifdef BAR
		.
		.
	code, etc.
		.
# endif
#endif

Later I went back to the original method and compiled with Turbo C.

-------------------+
Jock               |

ihnp4!killer!jockc |

trost@reed.UUCP (Bill Trost) (08/25/87)

In article <3430@islenet.UUCP> richard@islenet.UUCP (Richard Foulk) writes:
#
# I don't have a Macintosh, but it would seem to make sense for someone
# to take the time to port one of the public domain curses packages
# to the Mac first.
#
# Then you could much more easily port other unix-based games to it too.
#
Yeah!  That's a really super-duper incredible idea.  The Macintosh
(and other machines with bit-mapped screens) certainly needs more
text-based games.  We could even port things like robot and worm!  I
think someone should get to work on that right away.

We could even port vi if we did that!  What an outstanding idea!

:-(
--
...!(ogcvax|tektronix)!reed!trost @ All characters @ My opinions may or
"Ooh ick!" -- Penfold, anonymous  @ are ficticious @ may not represent

banzai@pixar.UUCP (08/31/87)

In article <6967@reed.UUCP> trost@reed.UUCP (Bill Trost) writes:
>In article <3430@islenet.UUCP> richard@islenet.UUCP (Richard Foulk) writes:
># I don't have a Macintosh, but it would seem to make sense for someone
># to take the time to port one of the public domain curses packages
># to the Mac first.
># Then you could much more easily port other unix-based games to it too.
>Yeah!  That's a really super-duper incredible idea.  The Macintosh
>(and other machines with bit-mapped screens) certainly needs more
>text-based games.  We could even port things like robot and worm!  I
>think someone should get to work on that right away.

I've already done it... worm & rain work fine.  I was working on a port of
UltraRogue, but haven't touched it lately.  Isn't it a great idea, though?
Play all those old games that you thought you'd miss when you gave up
your PDP-11 at work?  I can't wait to port robot -- great idea!

>We could even port vi if we did that!  What an outstanding idea!
Curses was ripped out of vi's source... wrong way around.

>:-(
Why does your guy have a dent in his head?  =:-)

>...!(ogcvax|tektronix)!reed!trost

	Night flights on a music ship, leaving on a never-ending trip
Just say YES!			Eric Herrmann		    ucbvax!pixar!banzai