[rec.games.hack] NetHack gives memory fault on 3B2

terrell@musky2.EDU (Roger Terrell) (12/12/87)

In article <2394@killer.UUCP> billw@killer.UUCP (Bill Wisner) writes:

>Let me clarify. When I said System V machines, I meant non-3B1s. Those are
>obviously supported; but has anybody goten it running on a 3B2? 3B5? 3B20?

I'm using an AT&T 3B2/300, and although I got NetHack to compile with few
problems, when I run it, it gets as far as to let you choose the class of
character you want to play.  Immediately thereafter it says 'memory fault'
and dies.

In the Makefile (Makefile.att), the files were linked using 'ld' directly
rather than through the default pass the C compiler makes.  Since 'ld' does
not search the C libraries when called directly, this stage bombed out.
To fix this, I just passed all of the .o files to the C compiler myself
and it linked without problem.  Did they need to be linked with 'ld' directly
for some reason?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Roger

--

Roger Terrell
Muskingum College			...cbosgd!musky2!terrell (UUCP)

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (12/16/87)

As quoted from <33@musky2.EDU> by terrell@musky2.EDU (Roger Terrell):
+---------------
| In the Makefile (Makefile.att), the files were linked using 'ld' directly
| rather than through the default pass the C compiler makes.  Since 'ld' does
| not search the C libraries when called directly, this stage bombed out.
| To fix this, I just passed all of the .o files to the C compiler myself
| and it linked without problem.  Did they need to be linked with 'ld' directly
| for some reason?
+---------------

The "Makefile.att" was the AT&T equivalent of "All the world's a VAX"; as it
turned out, the "AT&T" Makefile was for the 3B1 ONLY.  The load step invokes
the 3B1's shared library; this CANNOT be done via the C compiler on the 3B1.
Basically, "/lib/crt0s.o" is the shared-library startup file and
"/lib/shlib.ifile" defines addresses within the shared library; think of it
as the equivalent of -lc and -ltermlib (actually, it's -ltam, but works out
to approximately the same thing).
--
Brandon S. Allbery		      necntc!ncoast!allbery@harvard.harvard.edu
 {hoptoad,harvard!necntc,cbosgd,sun!mandrill!hal,uunet!hnsurg3}!ncoast!allbery