[rec.games.hack] More info on inventory bug in NetHack

creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Steve Creps) (12/15/87)

   I said I had the problem with the columns lining up on an inventory
fixed. Yes, I do. I also said there is still a bug in that when it prints
more than one stackable item (e.g. "3 food rations") it omits the number
of items (and prints "food rations").
   Well, this bug does not occur in doing an inventory. It's when you go
to a square that has more than one thing on the ground ("There are
several items here:") that it does this. Sorry I didn't have the info
straight before.

-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-
Steve Creps on the VAX 8650 running Ultrix 2.0-1 at Indiana University.
	creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu
"F-14 Tomcat! There IS no substitute."

markb@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Mark Biggar) (12/17/87)

In article <528@silver.bacs.indiana.edu> creps@silver.UUCP (Steve Creps) writes:
>...I also said there is still a bug in that when it prints
>more than one stackable item (e.g. "3 food rations") it omits the number
>of items (and prints "food rations"). ...It's when you go
>to a square that has more than one thing on the ground ("There are
>several items here:") that it does this.

This bug happens because eventually the line from the inventory list
is displayed using "tputs" from termcap and leading digits are interpreted
as delay padding and are removed.  As a temp fix I just made a mod to
doname() (in objnam.c) to always add a extra space to the front of any
item that started with a number.  A similar mod needs to be made in
invent.c where the string for the gold in the pile is generated.
This looks bad but allows you to get usuable inventories.

Mark Biggar
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,akgua,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!markb
markb@rdcf.sm.unisys.com