[rec.games.hack] nethack

r2h2@bedrock.com (Ron Hall) (09/23/87)

To All Those Brave Souls Who Transcended Angry Sys-Ops

Thank You. I have received 2 copies of Nethack 1.4.?

So, thank you all for your patience and forebearance.

I (and others) appreciate greatly the time and trouble
taken by those who sent me copies.

Once again thank you

Ron Hall
Bell + Howell IPSD

jona@moss.ATT.COM (12/17/87)

I ran lint on nethack and came up with an interesting potential bug -

BLINDFOLDED is defined as LAST_RING+11
Blindfolded is defined as u.uprops[BLINDFOLDED].p_flgs

*and*
uprops is struct prop uprops[LAST_RING+11].

As far as I can see this is addressing one past the end of the uprops array
which should cause blindfolds to be screwed up. Has anyone had trouble with
blindfolds? should uprops be size LAST_RING+12?

----
Jon M. Allingham	(201)386-3637	AT&T Bell Laboratories (Whippany,NJ)
{ihnp4,clyde}!moss!jona			WH 1A-114

"To those of us with real understanding, dancing is the only pure art form"
-Snoopy

dave@umbc3.UMD.EDU (David A Freeman) (12/20/87)

In article <18633@clyde.ATT.COM> jona@moss.UUCP (Jon M. Allingham) writes:

>I ran lint on nethack and came up with an interesting potential bug -
>
>BLINDFOLDED is defined as LAST_RING+11
>Blindfolded is defined as u.uprops[BLINDFOLDED].p_flgs
>
>*and*
>uprops is struct prop uprops[LAST_RING+11].
>
>As far as I can see this is addressing one past the end of the uprops array
>which should cause blindfolds to be screwed up. Has anyone had trouble with
>blindfolds? should uprops be size LAST_RING+12?

	I found it quite easy to crash the game using the blindfold.

	Just get into wizard mode and teleport to hell with the blindfold on.

	Then start to search the level. You should get the message

	" At get null a 00 00 " which will soon be followed by a segmentation

	fault.  I think saving the game prevents the crash.  If you don't

	get the "at gets null" message start moving up levels with the

	blindfold on. It will happen sooner or later. Could someone post

	a patch for this?

						dave

arpa:	dave@umbc3.umd.edu
bitnet  dave@umbc2