[rec.games.hack] Nethack on 7 char systems--PLEASE

michael@stb.UUCP (Michael) (12/18/87)

Way back when, when Nethack version 1.4something came out, I made a
set of mods to it to compile on 7 char systems with 7 char preprocessors.
I also sent a copy off to the source maintainers.

Now, 2.2 comes out, and I find that none of the 7 char stuff is in.

Does anyone have a copy of the old sed script that I posted back then
to convert to 7 chars? Or will I just have to make a new script thats
probably incompatible with the old.

For the maintainers: PLEASE, PLEASE, **PLEASE***, Don't Make Constants
Prefixes Like DEAD_ or CROSSBOW_ which guarantee name conflicts. Not
everyone has, or even can get at any price, a flex name compiler.
ARRRGGGHHH.

What makes NetHack so bad is that some of the header files are generated
by a C program, and that program
A) Cannot simply have the sed file applied to it
B) Does not output to standard output so you can filter it through sed
making automated source compiling that much harder. Not to mention that
since the 32 char version is now the baseline version, this problem
will be with us for eternity. (Context diffs would be around the size
of the distribution.)

			Michael
--
: Michael Gersten		ihnp4!hermix!ucla-an!remsit!stb!michael
:				sdcrdcf!trwrb!scgvaxd!stb!michael

geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) (12/20/87)

In article <10010@stb.UUCP> michael@stb.UUCP (Michael) writes:

> Does anyone have a copy of the old sed script that I posted back then
> to convert to 7 chars? Or will I just have to make a new script thats
> probably incompatible with the old.

I am about to post a version of Arch Robison's "hash8" program to
comp.sources.unix.  This program allows us old-fashioned types to compile
long-name programs.  It works quite well -- it's what I use on ispell.

(Note:  since it's the holidays, and there's a moderation delay, be
prepared to wait up to a month for the posting.  Please be patient;  it's
really on the way.)
--
	Geoff Kuenning   geoff@ITcorp.com   {uunet,trwrb}!desint!geoff

Elric@tsc3b21.UUCP (Frank ) (12/21/87)

in article <10010@stb.UUCP>, michael@stb.UUCP (Michael) says:

> Way back when, when Nethack version 1.4something came out, I made a
> set of mods to it to compile on 7 char systems with 7 char preprocessors.
> I also sent a copy off to the source maintainers.
>
> [ some deleted stuff ]
>
> Does anyone have a copy of the old sed script that I posted back then
> to convert to 7 chars? Or will I just have to make a new script thats
> probably incompatible with the old.
>
> For the maintainers: PLEASE, PLEASE, **PLEASE***, Don't Make Constants
> Prefixes Like DEAD_ or CROSSBOW_ which guarantee name conflicts. Not
> everyone has, or even can get at any price, a flex name compiler.
> ARRRGGGHHH.
>
> 			Michael
> --
> : Michael Gersten		ihnp4!hermix!ucla-an!remsit!stb!michael
> :				sdcrdcf!trwrb!scgvaxd!stb!michael
> : "Copy Protection? Just say 'Off site backup'. "

Quite true.  I am running NH2.2 on an old Version 7 which only supports 7
character identifiers...  However, there is a copy of a program called
"shortc" which will go through the source code looking for identifiers and
make a header file of #define's that will ensure 7 char uniqueness.  When
I get home tonight I'll post the Shortc.h header produced for my system,
as well as the shortc program itself (I'm pretty sure it's been posted
before so there shouldn't be any copyright infringement)...

I also have patches to shortc that produce a sed script file for actually
changing the source code.  But the beauty of the header file is that any
more diffs that get posted for NH2.2 will still work since none of the
source has actually changed.  Anyway, I'll post it later today along with
some helpful hints.

"Use the Source, Luke.  Feel it flow through your fingertips..."
-----
Frank (crash) Edwards
...!codas!usfvax2!{pdn,jc3b21}!tsc3b21!crash
TSC in Palm Harbor, FL
The Sweat Shop [with a 'C']
Phone:  (813) 785-0583  (voice)