[rec.games.hack] Nethack 2.2 "ERROR: freeinv", core dump

rk9005@cca.ucsf.edu (Roland McGrath) (02/10/88)

I was doing a "D" command (in a very nice game, by the way), when
I got "ERROR: freeinv", collapsing dungeon, core dump, etc.
Before it died, it had a couple of "[nyaq]? "s with no items
before them.  I kept answering "n" and it kept giving me more of them,
so I answered "y", it displayed an item and a "[nyaq]?" and then
the dungeon collapsed.

Anyone seen this before?

Vax 750, 4.3 BSD, Nethack 2.2 with no patches.
--
		Roland McGrath
UUCP: 			...!ucbvax!lbl-rtsg.arpa!roland

creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Steve Creps) (02/11/88)

In article <1147@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu> roland@rtsg.lbl.gov (Roland McGrath) writes:
>I was doing a "D" command (in a very nice game, by the way), when
>I got "ERROR: freeinv", collapsing dungeon, core dump, etc.
>Before it died, it had a couple of "[nyaq]? "s with no items
>before them.  I kept answering "n" and it kept giving me more of them,
>so I answered "y", it displayed an item and a "[nyaq]?" and then
>the dungeon collapsed.
>
>Anyone seen this before?

   Yes, you're looking at the oldest bug to survive to version 2.2.
Someone posted a fix to that a couple of months ago, so I'm sure it
will disappear when the 2.3 patches are released.

-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-
Steve Creps on the VAX 8650 running Ultrix 2.0-1 at Indiana University.
creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu, ...iuvax!silver!creps, creps@iubacs.bitnet
"Louisville Slugger baseball bats are made in Indiana"

creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Steve Creps) (02/11/88)

In article <1147@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu> roland@rtsg.lbl.gov (Roland McGrath) writes:
>I got "ERROR: freeinv", collapsing dungeon, core dump, etc.

   I forgot to mention this: the way to keep that from happening until 2.3
comes out is not to use the capital "D" command. Actually, you can, but when
it asks you what types of things to drop, just hit return.

rk9005@cca.ucsf.edu (Roland McGrath) (02/11/88)

["Nethack 2.2 "ERROR: freeinv", core dump"] - creps@silver.UUCP (Steve Creps):
}
}    I forgot to mention this: the way to keep that from happening until 2.3
} comes out is not to use the capital "D" command. Actually, you can, but when
} it asks you what types of things to drop, just hit return.

Actually, this is only a minor hassle, not a major problem.
If you rename the emergency ".e" save file to a normal save file
name and restore it, it works fine.

Another bug: praying has gotten floating exceptions a few times.
This too can be resolved by the above method.