[rec.games.hack] Question about the maze in machack

ooblick@eddie.MIT.EDU (Mikki Barry) (02/22/88)

Seems I can get to the maze comparitively easy.  However, once there, how
the hell do I get down a level?  I have tried the pick-axe and the wand
of digging, but it nothing seems to work.  It keeps telling me that the
floor is too hard to dig into.  Help, please via e-mail.

Thanks,
Mikki Barry

bverreau@mipos3.intel.com (stargazer) (02/28/88)

In article <8224@eddie.MIT.EDU>, ooblick@eddie.MIT.EDU (Mikki Barry) writes:
> Seems I can get to the maze comparitively easy.  However, once there, how
> the hell do I get down a level?

I'm not sure how closely your machack resembles nethack, but if there is a
common origin, here's hint and spoiler ..

There are two ways to reach the deeper maze levels.  One involves finding a
level teleporter trap (look for signposts).  The other method depends on
reading a certain commonly found scroll while you are confused.  In either
case, it definitely helps to wear a certain "control" device.

` Bernie Verreau   "We found her wandering around aimlessly on level 60 with   '
'       a pack full of scrolls and potions." - Keystone Kop patrolman          `
` uucp: ..{hplabs|amdcad|qantel|pur-ee|scgvaxd|oliveb}!intelca!mipos2!bverreau '
' csnet/arpanet: bverreau@mipos2.intel.com                                     `