[rec.games.hack] Reading messages on the floor in MacNetHack

ssegan@dasys1.UUCP (Sascha Segan) (03/04/88)

Hi. I have MacNetHack, and have a problem.
Sometimes there are messages written in the dust on the floor. I can't read them. A friend says, "Why don't you just step on them?" This is what happens.

"There is a message written in the dust on the floor."
So, naturally, I hit :
"You see a message written in the dust on the floor."
How do you read messages on the floor?
Thanks,
----Sascha

--
Sascha I. Segan                   {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Big Electric Cat Public Unix          {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!ssegan!

tracer@stb.UUCP (Jeff Boeing) (03/17/88)

In article <3233@dasys1.UUCP> ssegan@dasys1.UUCP (Sascha Segan) writes:
>Hi. I have MacNetHack, and have a problem.
>Sometimes there are messages written in the dust on the floor. I can't read them. A friend says, "Why don't you just step on them?" This is what happens.
>
>"There is a message written in the dust on the floor."
>So, naturally, I hit :
>"You see a message written in the dust on the floor."
>How do you read messages on the floor?

Hmmmmm.  Unless MacNetHack is a TOTALLY different game than the NetHack we
mere mortals play, that sounds like a bug.  PC NetHack (and for that matter
PC Hack) always displayed the message automatically, whether you read it or
not.
   But in case you can't get your hands on an Unbugged version of McNethack,
scribblings on the floor (unless they're written by you) usually read something
like:  "ad ae ? ar um"
--
Jeff Boeing (which is not my real name)   |   ...!uunet!stb.uucp!tracer