[rec.games.hack] NetHack 2.3 T minus 1 Day, one day late.

mike@genpyr.UUCP (Mike Stephenson) (04/08/88)

Sorry about the sudden silence.  I was given 3 hours notice that genat was
to yet again execute a polymorph self instruction and turn into a different
type of machine.

I will still be releasing the patch kit, starting tonight at around 8-9 pm
EDT.  I will release about 60-80 Kb per night for the next little while,
in order that the net not get too saturated.  All kits will end up in
comp.sources.games.

Once you get the kits, move them into your source directory, unpack, and
READ THE README FILE!!!!!!  Don't do anything until you have done so.

---> please, Please, PLEASE make a full backup before you do the upgrade. <---

A shell script has been included to help automate the upgrade.  You may
very well want to avoid using it and do things by hand.  As far as I know,
it works quite well, but...

The patch files should work perfectly on a virgin copy of 2.2.  I don't
guarantee it, however.  I tried my damndest to keep my 2.2 source clean, but
I may have slipped up.  If you get problems, you will have to install some
or all of the patches by hand - don't worry, I have to do the same on every
patch I get in here, since my source is never the same as what the patch
expects by the time I get it.

If there are modules that are completely munged by patch, or don't build
after things are done, make a list and send it to me.  I will collect names
of files for a short while, correlate the similarities, and release a fixup
kit consisting of complete source files.  This too will go to the newsgroup
comp.sources.games.bugs.

To all those people about to send me "I don't have a virgin copy of 2.2,
please mail it to me" don't.  There is no way I can send 1Mb of code for each
request.  I can only suggest that you go to your closest usenet source archive
site and try to get one via ftp.
--
						Mike Stephenson

Mail:	Genamation Inc.		Phone:	(416) 475-9434
	351 Steelcase Rd. W
	Markham, Ontario.	UUCP:	uunet!{mnetor,utzoo}!genat!genpyr!mike
	Canada   L3R 3W1		uunet!{mnetor,utzoo}!genat!mike

rustcat@csli.STANFORD.EDU (Vallury Prabhakar) (04/09/88)

In article <279@genpyr.UUCP> mike@genpyr.UUCP (Mike Stephenson) writes:

# To all those people about to send me "I don't have a virgin copy of 2.2,
# please mail it to me" don't.  There is no way I can send 1Mb of code for each
# request.  I can only suggest that you go to your closest usenet source....

While we unlucky types who just grabbed the binaries for the IBM PC will
just have to fester in silence, I guess?

Ah well.

Maybe someone will add the patches, and then post the binaries on the pc news-
group at a later date.

						The Walking Wounded,
						-- rustcat@cnc-sun.stanford.edu

mike@genpyr.UUCP (Mike Stephenson) (04/22/88)

In article <3391@csli.STANFORD.EDU> rustcat@csli.UUCP (Vallury Prabhakar) writes:

>While we unlucky types who just grabbed the binaries for the IBM PC will
>just have to fester in silence, I guess?
>
>Ah well.
>
>Maybe someone will add the patches, and then post the binaries on the pc news-
>group at a later date.

	I unfortunately have no way at this time (although I'm looking at
the possibility) of compiling the code for a DOS enviornment.  I have a SCO
386 Xenix system, and could possibly compile 2.3 using SCO's DOS libraries,
but I don't know how reliably that would work.  If anyone out there has any
idea of how useful this method of cross-compilation is for a program this
size, please drop me some E-Mail.