[rec.games.hack] Nethack 3 PL5 on SCO Xenix 286

libove@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Jay Libove) (10/22/89)

On SCO Xenix 286, at patchlevel 5, what used to be a nuisance is
now a real problem:

It used to be that the sources had to be hacked slightly so
that the "delay" attempts didn't leave sh*t on the screen, but
now the code has to be hacked (in the same manner) to avoid
the code _core dumping_ whenever the delay routine is called
(typically when anything is thrown or kicked across a room).

In termcap.c in delay_output() there needs to be a special
case for #ifdef M_XENIX  /* do nothing */ rather than some
kind of bogus attempt to waste time.

--
Jay Libove			Internet: libove@andrew.cmu.edu
5731 Centre Avenue, Apt 3	BITNET: libove@drycas

jtc@tessera.uucp (J.T. Conklin) (10/22/89)

In article <6619@pt.cs.cmu.edu> libove@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Jay Libove) writes:
>On SCO Xenix 286, at patchlevel 5, what used to be a nuisance is
>now a real problem:

>In termcap.c in delay_output() there needs to be a special
>case for #ifdef M_XENIX  /* do nothing */ rather than some
>kind of bogus attempt to waste time.

No there doesn't.  What is needed is to find out why the delay
code doesn't work on your machine.  The code works fine as-is
on my Xenix/286 system.

For starters, lets get the facts straight:
  + What version of the OS, and DS are you using?

  + Are you using termcap or terminfo?

  + What is the stack trace after the core dump?

I'm not trying to point a finger at Jay; but I think it is unreasonable to
assume we (the net at large) can debug programs without proper diagnostics.
"It doesn't work", or "It dumps core" is not much to go on.

    --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin
	...!{ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!tessera!jtc

scott@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Scott Reynolds) (10/23/89)

The bug referred to is a problem with many (apparently older) XENIX
termcap/termlib library implementations.  The solution is simply to use
nap() calls in place of the tputs() calls and link with -lx.
--
Scott Reynolds				..rutgers!mailrus!clip!clmqt!scott
Enterprise Information System		scott@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US