[rec.games.hack] New patch

wcs) (06/29/90)

In article <26429@netnews.upenn.edu> izchak@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Izchak Miller) writes:
[ announces patchlevel 9 real soon ]
Well, I guess I won't finish getting PL8 to work.
The problem I'm having is that I get cpp errors, complaining about
"too much defining".  I'm running on an AT&T 3B2, so I'm using
short int for schar, uchar, and xchar, and I've got STUPID_CPP
definined.  I've also tried -DDUMB in the Makefile, but it didn't help.

I remember having this problem with Patchlevel 7 aso - there were a
couple of #include files that I was able to get rid of by extracting
the couple of useful definitions from them, but it was a real pain.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?
--
				Thanks;  Bill
Bill Stewart AT&T Bell Labs 4M312 HolmdelNJ 07733 2019490705 erebus.att.com!wcs

brad@slammer.UUCP (Brad Isley) (06/30/90)

In article <1990Jun29.015151.447@cbnewsh.att.com> wcs@cbnewsh.att.com (Bill Stewart 201-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs) writes:
>Well, I guess I won't finish getting PL8 to work.
>The problem I'm having is that I get cpp errors, complaining about
>"too much defining".  I'm running on an AT&T 3B2, so I'm using
>short int for schar, uchar, and xchar, and I've got STUPID_CPP
>definined.  I've also tried -DDUMB in the Makefile, but it didn't help.
>
>Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Yes, on a 3b1.

I just remove some useless stuff.
(It was about 5 #defines from finishing.)
Stuff removed included MAIL and MAILREADER and the option for smaller screens.
Just keep ripping out stuff like that 'till it gets past cpp.
It doesn't take a much at all.
--
brad@slammer.UUCP   (Brad Isley)
+1 404 841-4169 Work

dt@yenta.alb.nm.us (David B. Thomas) (07/01/90)

[discussion of preprocessor on 3b1 barfing on nethack]

In the programs that wouldn't compile, there was often a system include
file that was brought in for very little reason.  For instance, one had
a #include <ctype.h>, just so that the one call to toupper() would
work...or was it isupper()...anyway I just made my own macro and removed
the system include.

					David