[rec.games.misc] Might and Magic

logden@tc.fluke.COM (Leonard Ogden) (04/08/88)

Reid M. Pinchback writes:

>In article <3304@fluke.COM> logden@tc.fluke.COM (Leonard Ogden) writes:
>>
>>Hooo Boy!! What a game!! I love it, love it love it!
>>

>>Thanks again to the pointer to this game!!
>>

> What is this game, is it computer-based (if so, how do I get it?)?

>Thanks

>          Reid M. Pinchback
          -----------------

Reid, this is a computer adventure game that apparently has been around for
over a year on the Apple. It has just been released for the C64, and some
others (There is a advertisment in INFO inside front cover) computers but
I don't remember which ones :-).

The game is unique in the following ways, (you must remember I have only about
6 hours play time on this one):

First and perhaps formost is that doesn't SEEM to be one major BAD guy to over
come. In Bard's Tale I,II, Questron I,II, Wizard's Crown, Phantasy I,II,
Legacy Of the Ancients, Ultima I,II,III,IV,V (gee did I really BUY all of
these games? No wonder my wife cast glances of anger at my system in the
corner!) there is usually one major quest to complete. All of your time and
effort culminates in the destruction of this evil force.

In Might and Magic there appears to be many quests, goals, etc to be
accomplished. The first one is offered you by a fellow in the dungeon under
the city you begin in, and from there you're on your own.

Second is the SIZE of this adventure. This may not be a FEATURE to some, I
love it. Somehow it seems more realistic to have major highways connecting
each city, you can most certainly  wander of the beaten path and find caves,
pools, other things of import.

The view into this world is 3 dimentional, group view, not overhead, map view,
 I like this part alot. There are trees that you can go through, and trees you
 can't, apparently there are hidden passages into the mountains you can't see
 and have to find, etc.

You have the typical team to develop ala Bard's Tale, not one super hero as in
Questron, and early Ulitmas. This means more planning on your part as team
leader, who should be first line of defense, who should get that neeto magic
sword/armor, etc. I like that part as well.

The map included with the package is usefull, (and nicely done as well), as a
matter of fact the entire package is good.

Well, I don't know much more at this point, but I can say that Legacy of the
Ancients will have to wait untill this one is done.

Godd luck and happy adventuring,
logden