[rec.games.misc] Ultima V

arthur@pnet02.cts.com (Arthur L. Rubin) (03/19/88)

james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen) writes:
>IN article <2743@ihlpe.ATT.COM>, kimes@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) wrote:
>> Someone locally called the company (Origin?) and was told that the
>> Atari 8bit version should be out this summer and the Atari ST version
>> should be out sometime in the fall.  They also said that it is the
>> last software they will port to the Atari 8bit (boo!).
>
>It is not guaranteed that there will be an 8bit Atari version.  Someone did
>take a contract on the project, but there is not much hope that it can be
>done.  There is not enough memory and especially not enough disk space.

If it can be done on an Apple II, it can be done on the Atari 8-bit (at least
on the XL/XE).  The only reason for not porting Apple II or Commodore games to
the Atari is that there are (now) fewer Ataris.

Arthur L. Rubin
4519 Richard Drive
Los Angeles, CA  90032-1227

Phone: (213)221-5033 (home w/o answering machine)
Phone: (213)221-1962 (home)

MCI Mail:  ARUBIN 216-5888
Telex (WUI/MCI):  6502165888 "6502165888 MCI"

CompuServe:  70707,453

DELPHI: RUNNINGTRTLE

UUCP: [ ihnp4 hplabs!hp-sdd sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!gryphon!pnet02!arthur
ARPA: crash!gryphon!pnet02!arthur@nosc
INET: arthur@pnet02.cts.com

hrh@well.UUCP (Harry Henderson) (04/07/88)

In article <3879@sphinx.uchicago.edu> kus3@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) writes:

>As for the game itself, its amazing, its almost a prerequest to finish Ultima
>IV before starting on U5, only because the map is almost exactly the same as
>the U4 game, and if you start out fresh in U5, you have to complete the quest
>to become the Avatar, or you can transfer your old U4 character over to U5.

Not true, at least in my experience. I've created several trial
characters and they've all been listed as "level 2 avatars."
I *would* however recommend getting the list of shrines, runes,
mantras, etc. from Ultima IV (CompuServe games forum has one)
if you haven't played Ultima IV.
>Only complaints are that you go through so much food so quickly, real quick,
>in fact, its one of the major problems with big groups (more food eaten up).
>other than that, its real interesting game.

Yes, this is a problem. The documentation mentions "markets" where you
can get food, but they seem to be few and far between. Taverns and
restaurants don't have food "to go." You can harvest some food from
ploughed fields in towns, though, with the G)et command.

General advice (note that I'm just beginning). Do lots of S)earching.
Don't steal from ordinary citizens' bedrooms and closets (I think this
loses you "goodness" points--presumably stealing from guards is OK,
though.) Experiment with the "push" command--you can push items of
furniture around. Not sure how effective this can be, but it might
be possible to push something in front of oncoming guards.

It *is* a great game. I find the grinding of disk drive on startup
(due to copy protection, I assume) somewhat disconcerting. I wish
they would drop Copy Protection in favor of a code wheel.

One question: earlier interviews with Lord British suggested that
spell research was possible (combining power syllables in various
combination and presumably finding the right mixture of reagents).
Has anyone had any luck creating a spell not on the official list?
This feature would be great if it exists.

--
The opinions expressed are my own, but you're welcome to share them.
Harry Henderson (freelance technical editor/writer).

B95@PSUVMA.BITNET (04/14/88)

      Does anyone know when Ultima V is going to be released for the
      Commodore 64/128..? If so, I would appreciate any info.

-------
Jim Bailoni                  BITNET: B95%PSUVMA.BITNET@PSUVAX1.CS.PSU.EDU
Penn State University        UUCP:   ...!psuvax1!psuvma!B95

james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen) (04/14/88)

IN article <5611@well.UUCP>, hrh@well.UUCP (Harry Henderson) wrote:
> You can harvest some food from
> ploughed fields in towns, though, with the G)et command.

This is not such a good idea: those fields belong to one of the farmers, and
the crops belong to them.

> General advice (note that I'm just beginning). Do lots of S)earching.
> Don't steal from ordinary citizens' bedrooms and closets (I think this
> loses you "goodness" points--presumably stealing from guards is OK,
> though.)

Don't "get" things that belong to other people.  Searching is OK, although
it probably shouldn't have been for things like private residences.  "search"
on a guard is OK, though "get" makes little sense.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen   ...!ut-sally!uastro!bigtex!james    "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746