[rec.games.misc] DarkCastle on a CD?

czei@accelerator.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael S. Czeiszperger) (04/28/88)

Has anyone seen the new magazine HyperMedia? It had an article
about Dark Castle being ported to the new Compact Disk-Interactive
format, and it looks extremely interesting.  They are approaching
the project somewhat like a movie, hiring someone with movie experience
in image design to do the backgrounds, and a composer to create music
and sound effects.  The whole thing is in color with higher quality
audio than the Mac, although I don't think it will be quite 44.1kHz.

The play is supposed to be different than the regular game, incorporating
all the new hypermedia concepts.  For example, usally if the player
sits still in an arcade game, the player gets killed.  In this version,
if the player wishes to just watch, the game will cease being a normal
game, and be more like a movie, presenting a story about a character
using the game's sets as a backdrop.  If the player wishes to jump into
the story and take over a character, the story will adapt, and become
more like the game.  In this way, the user can participate as much as
desired.  With the capacity of CD's and the use of AI, there could
be an unlimited quantity of stories that could be told.  This sounds
much more interesting than the usual game where the hero faces the
same pitfalls every single time.

I think this just sounds facinating.....

--
Michael S. Czeiszperger         | "The only good composer is a dead composer"
Systems Analyst                 | Snail: 2015 Neil Avenue         (614)

jellinghaus-robert@CS.YALE.EDU (Rob Jellinghaus) (04/30/88)

In article <158@accelerator.eng.ohio-state.edu> czei@accelerator.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael S. Czeiszperger) writes:
>Has anyone seen the new magazine HyperMedia? It had an article
>about Dark Castle being ported to the new Compact Disk-Interactive
>format, and it looks extremely interesting.  They are approaching
>the project somewhat like a movie, hiring someone with movie experience
>in image design to do the backgrounds, and a composer to create music
>and sound effects.  The whole thing is in color with higher quality
>audio than the Mac, although I don't think it will be quite 44.1kHz.
>I think this just sounds facinating.....

I THINK SO TOO!!!  Which is why your posting is incredibly frustrating!
WHO is doing this porting???  WHO is being hired???  WHAT hardware will
be needed to run it???  WHERE can I buy a CD-I player???  WHEN will
it be available??!?!!!  And HOW MUCH WILL IT COST!!!!!!!

Even if the article didn't specify all of these things, at least you
could have detailed exactly what was and was not said, instead of
posting a wonderful teaser with *nothing* to back it up... not even
a phone number or address to call for more information.  Anyone else
with a subscription to "HyperMedia" who might want to give some more
information?

>Michael S. Czeiszperger         | "The only good composer is a dead composer"
>Systems Analyst                 | Snail: 2015 Neil Avenue         (614)
>The Ohio State University       |        Columbus, OH 43210          292-
>cbosgd!osu-cis!accelerator!czei | czei@accelerator.eng.ohio-state.edu  0161

Ah, the agony of the rumor mill...

Rob Jellinghaus                | "If I had a heart attack RIGHT NOW, I couldn't
jellinghaus-robert@CS.Yale.EDU | be a more FORTUNATE MAN!  I would like to
ROBERTJ@{yalecs,yalevm}.BITNET | DARE a heart attack to happen RIGHT NOW!  I
{y'all}!ihnp4!hsi!yale!robertj | COULDN'T be MORE FORTUNATE!"  -- Zippy on Ice

czei@accelerator.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael S. Czeiszperger) (04/30/88)

In article <28186@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> jellinghaus-robert@yale.UUCP writes:
>In article <158@accelerator.eng.ohio-state.edu> czei@accelerator.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael S. Czeiszperger) writes:
>>Has anyone seen the new magazine HyperMedia? It had an article
>
>I THINK SO TOO!!!  Which is why your posting is incredibly frustrating!
>WHO is doing this porting???  WHO is being hired???  WHAT hardware will
>be needed to run it???  WHERE can I buy a CD-I player???  WHEN will
>it be available??!?!!!  And HOW MUCH WILL IT COST!!!!!!!
>
>Ah, the agony of the rumor mill...

Ok, Ok.  HyperMedia magazine is a special publication of Mix Magazine
that was published for one issue this summer.  It is available from
Mix Magazine, whom I expect would tell you more information if you
called their office at (415) 653-3307.  I say "expect" because I havn't
called them; after all, I have my own copy.

As for the compact disk interactive Dark Castle.....  The company's
name is American Interactive Media, a joint Philips/PolyGram venture
chartered to promote the production and marketing of CD-I in the
United States.  (I know because I was trying to find work coding
CD-I authoring systems.  No luck so far..)  Their reasoning in choosing
Dark Castle for a first project was simple: "If Dark Castle is that
exciting on the Mac, just think what it will look and sound like with
full-color visuals and high-fidelity audio".

The people creating the CD-I disk are:

	1. Larry Lowe - Program designer
	2. Jesse Silver - Visual production
	3. Dwight Marcus - Music composition/sound effects
	4. Jonathan Gay - Programming (original author of Dark Castle)

The first CD-I disk was demonstrated at Microsoft's third CD-ROM conference
in Seattle.  Commercial CD-I players probably will be manufacted by
the fall of this year, with sales to the public starting in summer 1989.
I don't think anyone's got a CD-I player fully designed yet, and in
fact, I don't think any manufactures have even started to look into it.

The first CD-I drivers should cost about as much as CD-ROM drives,
which are running about $800-$2000.  Once production runs are started
for CD-I I can't see why the cost wouldn't go down a bit.  Although
no-one has ever seen a CD-I player, it most likely will look just
like a regular CD player, and will play regular audio CD's.  The
differences are the CD-I player will probably have an RCA or video
plug on the back to hook up your TV, as well as someplace to plug
in a mouse.  Other modes of input are unknown at this time.

These aren't rumors.  I've talked to Larry Lowe personally, albiet a
year ago, and now firsthand that AIM does exist and is promoting CD-I
media projects.  They are taking great steps to see that HyperMedia
and CD-I do not go the way of the videodisk.

--

freeman@spar.SPAR.SLB.COM (Jay Freeman) (04/30/88)

In article <160@accelerator.eng.ohio-state.edu> czei@accelerator.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael S. Czeiszperger) writes:

>--
>Michael S. Czeiszperger | "The only good composer is a dead composer"

                                 Wouldn't that be a decomposer??

rjung@castor.usc.edu (Robert Jung) (05/01/88)

  Begging the question, but what's the difference between CD-I(nteractive) and
a laserdisk? This whole Dark Castle project sounds like a revival of the arcade
game _Dragon's Lair_, as it were (and that's been done on the Atari ST for
years already).

						--R.J.
						B-)

<=====================================><=====================================>
Disclaimer: These ideas are all mine! Mineminemineminemineminemineminemine!

Send e-junk-mail through Bitnet to rjung@castor.usc.edu

czei@accelerator.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael S. Czeiszperger) (05/02/88)

In article <827@nunki.usc.edu> rjung@castor.usc.edu (Robert Jung) writes:

>  Begging the question, but what's the difference between CD-I(nteractive) and
>a laserdisk? This whole Dark Castle project sounds like a revival of the arcade
>game _Dragon's Lair_, as it were (and that's been done on the Atari ST for
>years already).

Dark Castle is not the whole project, just one disk.  There are dozens
of CD-I projects planned or underway. Entertainment projects based on
tradition computer games are just a tiny part of CD-I.

And besides, everyone knows that Dark Castle doesn't look anything like
Dragon's Lair :-)